Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Compartment Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I got the rear engine seal in last nite. Just slid the new seal into the channel & worked it around - it took awhile but - fits great!!! Looks so much better!!! Then there's the front & sides: ohmy.gif
Is there a easy way to install these seals??? I don't think I can slide these in using the same method & I don't want to booger up the channel in the process. headbang.gif
Thanks, Gary
Demick
I just did this a couple of weeks ago. For the sides and the front I set the lower lip of the seal into the channel, and then used a screwdriver to press the top lip into the channel a little at a time all the way down the length of the seal. Really goes in very easy this way. Took maybe 5 minutes per seal (assuming your engine is out - would be much more difficult with the engine in).

Demick
rhodyguy
use wooden popcycle sticks to push the one side in. they don't damage the finnish. glycerin for the lubricant.

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 1 2004, 08:55 AM)
use wooden popcycle sticks to push the one side in. they don't damage the finnish. glycerin for the lubricant.

agree.gif you can also slide them in but the methods described above work much better ...

wink.gif Andy
d7n7master
Awesome guys, thanks. I didn't mention that the engines out - it is - I just por15'd the whole engine bay so I don't want to muck it up. wacko.gif
I'd better go eat some popcicles. mueba.gif
Sammy
I'm prolly the only person here dumb enough and stubborn enough to replace the seals with the engine still in the car.
What a PITA, took about an hour and a pint of blood but I got it done. Wouldn't do it again for a $zillion.

Most important things to do, first make sure the steel channels are all bent up, and make sure they are clean. No dirt, grease, rust, or extra POR 15.
if they are straight and clean you won't have any real problems.
Eric_Shea
Go to PepBoys and get this... it should be illegal! They will slide right in. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.