Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EP 914 on track... finally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
groot
I used this past weekend's Waterford Hills race as my first test session for the new car.

They threw this picture on the Waterford Hills website. Just thought I'd share it.

IPB Image

Learned a lot this weekend, like how some lug nuts don't fit some wheels, how I needed more front flare (notice the flare extensions) and how much I can squeeze out of my Optima before I don't get enough juice to run (no alternator). More learning to come on 11-12 Sept, but this time at Mid-Ohio.
seanery
great shot!
Looks like fun! driving.gif
brant
wow,

NICE picture

brant
machina
QUOTE(groot @ Sep 1 2004, 11:35 AM)
how much I can squeeze out of my Optima before I don't get enough juice to run (no alternator)

Looks mean, no sure I'd want to see you coming up behind me.

So how long could you run on the optima? Did it start missing when it ran low?

Congrats on getting her on the track. aktion035.gif

dr
brant
nother thing...

was the car a previous log book car?
I thought they weren't going to allow any more chop roofed cars?

wow, I love that picture.
brant
groot
I ran 3 track sessions and multiple starts in between sessions on one charge. Then it started missing, ironically during the start of the race.... the first dry session. So, I pulled off right after the start. It missed so bad that I didn't think I could make it around the track and at that point I didn't realize that was the problem. I purchased a "jump pack" and plan on using it to start the car and I should be able to easily make it through a weekend on one charge.

Brand new race car. I'd paste my "before" picture, but I haven't figured out how to pull an image off of my computer and stuff it up here.

SCCA still allows chop tops, they're just trying to figure out how to deal with partial width main hoops, particularly the car's that don't have main hoops that go at least 50% across. Since this is a full width hoop, this type of cage is not being debated, which certainly influenced my decision on which type of main hoop to build.

Thanks for the kind words.
SLITS
Nice looking and mean too!

REAL RACERS DRIVE IN THE ELEMENTS

the rest of the wimps go hide in their trailers.

Oh, BTW, I stole the image for a screensaver wub.gif
theol00
nice car! - what's the wet stuff? unsure.gif
URY914
That looks nice.

Love racing in the rain.

Paul
brant
Kevin,

what is your weight sir?

brant
Jeroen
Kevin, please post more pics/details of your car. It looks like a lot of fun
d914
ok, I'm being a chicken when it comes to chopping my top. I now have a cracked windshield and have to make a decision. So how do ya like the open 914 and how was it in the weather.....

I have a est. on the fab work, not too bad.. its an emotional isuue that I'm working though. EVERYONE has said chop it!!

By the way, Nice Car!!
Aaron Cox
exactly what im doing with the flared roller i got from jenny's brother.
ChrisFoley
Way to go Kevin,
Good to see you on track!
I never go more than 2 sessions without charging my battery, and always before a race.

The SCCA is not allowing any new open style GT cars, but since the 914 is not a new car one can still race GT2 or GT3 with an open 914.
Jake Raby
Kevin, Looks good!

The engine is coming together! after a week long vacation I came home to the first batch of parts for it!!

Get all those bugs worked out before you get MassIve power!
jgiroux67
Nice Car! I like that helmet too.
Brad Roberts
I see NO openings for oil coolers or brake ducting.

You have some kickass NEW secret you want to share ?? lol2.gif

B
groot
Right headlight is actually mesh, so there's the oil cooler opening. I haven't run brake ducts yet.

Weight is 1920, after the race, which is the 2004 EP weight for the car. I'm able to carry the extra weight in fuel, so I'll be spot on 1870 for the 2005 weight. And I can still go with fiberglass hood, trunk and rear bumper.

I did want to learn the limits of my battery. I have some experience with these Optimas, and they are impressive. We used them in our solar car in 1993 because they were head and shoulders better than any other battery.... and we tested 20+ different batteries. Anyway, now I know how far I can push it.

This was my first time racing in an open top car. I was worried about visibility and seating position. I had to really lean the seat back to get my head low enough to get the main hoop near the targa bar (rule says your helmet must be 2" below the top of the main hoop and within an imaginary diagonal line between the main hoop and front hoop). Anyway, I can't see either fender where I'm seated, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It's sort of an odd feeling, though. When you're seated in it stationary you feel way far back and low (even for a 914), but when your moving, you feel really close to the dash panel. Anyway, my worries about this were unfounded.

I've got some construction photos, but I haven't figured out how to post from my computer without first throwing the photos up on a website, so if someone can share that bit of info, I can throw them up here.
Jeroen
QUOTE(groot @ Sep 2 2004, 01:52 PM)
I've got some construction photos, but I haven't figured out how to post from my computer...

Kevin, check the FAQ (link at the very top of the page) on how to post pictures...

cheers,

Jeroen
groot
Thanks. I don't know why I missed that.

Ok, here's what the car looked like in Mar.
groot
More pics. I'll post some more "in progress" pics from my home computer.
groot
More
Jake Raby
Kevin, email me as many asyou can for your page on my updated site. We are working hard on the site every night this week!
groot
I'll put something together tonight and send it to you.
groot
More
groot
More
groot
more
groot
msg
Thorshammer
Kevin,

Glad to see you made it, and under the bar (roll that is). Still working on my EP 914-6, have made some major progress, but still delayed. Just got my cylinder heads back from port development with John Andruk of Circle Performance in Brockton MA. Great job, well worth the wait. I also had to modify the front flairs currently available. The EP front track is wider than the FP car, and it really is close. Lastly, I pick up the Hewland gearbox on Friday (tomorrow), geared it for my local track I normally test at (Loudon NH). Maybe if we are lucky and Bontempi, Wicker all go to the Runoffs maybe we could have a 914 tent in the main Paddock. I'd love to thumb my nose at the Toyota, Nissan, Mazda "factory" guys.

Erik Madsen

Wrenching as we speak!
groot
Eric,

I'm with you on this.

Let me know how it goes with the Hewland. I'm going to order one early next year, if I can't find a used one to work for me. I'd be interested in some feedback regarding the linkage.
Thorshammer
Kevin,

Actually, an FP competitor, Ed Givler from Rockland Mass has installed a Hewland Mark 9 in his 914. Ed is a friend of mine, and his install was fairly straight forward.

The Axles are cheap and easy to get, the CV joints are type 1 VW with the outers being 914. 33 Spline. His setup is different than mine, his linkage goes over the top of the motor, and mine goes under. I have an earlier mark 8 Hewland with VW supervee rear linkage. Ed has the formula ford style that comes off of the side. I was able to make my shift rod run very straight but use more apex joints than Ed had to. But it seems to shift (with Lovely wife turning stub axles) well. If you go on Taylor racing website, there is alot of usefull information. Taylor initially told me I would have to install mark 5 shafts and gears they are bigger. But The cost to do the trans new with a supercase and so forth was over 7K, which I could not afford. So I am going to try it the mark 8 stuff, and change the fluid every race weekend. If it works and I don't have any failures, I will REM process all the gears and install ceramic bearings on the shafts. I have photos of both installations if you care to see them.

When you are looking for a Hewland, you need one that does not have the starter area cut off, This is usual for formula Ford application I think. Also, figure out what you want for gears and ring and pinion. The stock 914 is a 7:31, so I would try to stay with that, but if you run into an 8:31/35 it will work. You can use the transmission as a five speed with 1st as a racing gear, but only if you get a shaft with an integral 1st gear, and then you still must be careful when downshifting into it, The gear is really small and can't be abused much. One huge issue is the release bearing. I am trying a centered bearing on the input shaft, and Ed is using a slave cylinder mounted outboard of the clutch/transmission casing, and the standard release bearing cross shaft.
After you have shifted one of these transmissions, you will never go back. Last thing and I will leave you, 2 things really, Rick Hilland and RIC racing in Bow NH does my transmission work, he is fair, knowledgable and will treat you more like a partner than a customer. I highly recommend him. When putting the car in gear they grind, so start it in 1st, or warm up the motor and then shut it off then into first and restart the engine. Hope to see you on the track in the future.

Erik Madsen
groot
Great info.

Pics would be awesome.

I've had the same conversations with Taylor regarding the Mk5 gears and cost. In the end do you think you saved money going this route?
Thorshammer
Well, Yes and no,

I can't stand the way the standard gearbox shifts, even after working for Force racing in Missouri where the Ultimate transmission was developed. You may remember the ads "can you upshift hard and fast?" Yeah that was us. Even after modifying the trans it still shifts like shit. i did some initial work with a guy to put dawg ring gears into a 914 box and utilize the standard shift linkage, but the prototype cost was going to be about 10K and a 5 speed box about 5k with gearsets in the 250.00 range. If I had access to this board back then I may have been able to make it go, but the Hewland is the only choice. Will send you or post some photos this week.

Erik
nein14-6
There you all are! I knew there were some more people in the country that had EP 914s and 914-6s. Here’s a shot of my EP 914-6.
nein14-6
On another note, would you all please show me your SCCA legal oil cooler configurations? I mounted mine, as you can see, in front of the front bulkhead (In SCCA you are not allowed to cut the front bulkhead) with about a 2 inch area behind it and there just isn’t adequate flow through the cooler. I need to work on that and a new front air damn as well as many other things this winter.
URY914
Welcome nein14-6,

I saw your car at the '03 Parade in Florida.
Very nice!

Paul
groot
Cool. Do you run Summit Point and VIR?

Scroll up a bit and you'll see how I mounted my cooler. I use the left headlight to pull in air and duct it (dryer duct from Home Depot) to the area where the fuel tank used to be.

So far, I'm cooling it way too much, but I won't really know where I stand until I put in Jake's engine.
MJHanna
Taylor is one of the best suppliers I’ve worked with. Craig is a great resource if you are having issues. I was having problems with losing my clutch, (Tilton) on the G-50. Craig said bring it and let’s see if we can figure it out. Long story short, they went out of their way to help figure out the problem and get me back on the track. Course they are local to me but really run a nice clean outfit. I don’t run a bunch of stickers on my car but I do run a Taylor sticker. Just a happy customer. laugh.gif
groot
I've heard nothing but good things about Taylor, too..... except about the price. But, adding up the costs, they're actually pretty reasonable. That doesn't eliminate sticker shock.

I plan on having them build my Mk 9. I'm in the midst of picking ratios now, so I can get them started.
nein14-6
Paul, Thanks and Yes, I mostly run at Summit Point but have ran on most of the tracks in the North/Mid East.

Kevin, Yes I see where you pull the air in from. Keith P. in NJ told me that he used a similar setup when he ran FP. Les Handly uses that headlight to pipe air to the fan for additional cooling to the cylinders. I use the front fog light grill to pipe air to the fan through home depot stove pipe. I was also looking into those tube style oil coolers, have you seen them?
flyloki
Groot-

What color is that?
Thorshammer
Groot,

I am finally making some progress, Hope to make it to a open track day in a month or so, before the winter sets in. Craig is a great resource, but pricey. Good guy though. I am posting some pics of my car and the shift lever and engine bulkhead mount, engine plate.
Thorshammer
Engine mount,
Thorshammer
Screwed up sorry,
Thorshammer
Inside engine compartment trans/engine mount
groot
Ford Sonic Blue. It was on the Focus SVT and then migrated to other Ford cars recently.

The tube coolers I've seen are water to oil intercoolers. But, if you have a picture or a link post it.

Eric,

I love the shifter, that's great. The car's looking awesome. But, it does look like you have too many cylinders.......
Thorshammer
EP 2.0 liter six coming at ya big daddy

If it will make the HP numbers it can be a good car, but the carbs and valve sizes are the limiting factor, as well as the brakes. The spec line should read.

...... 46 mm weber type carbs with 42mm venturis
2.0 liter "s" head with 46mm intake and 42 mm exhaust valves allowed
Alternate front brake caliper Alloy "S" caliper with 3.5 inch bolt hole spacing.

This would enable this car to run near the front. Cure the overheated brakes, cure the underpowered engine. etc....

I thought you might want to see the carbon fiber oil sump enclosure.

Erik
Brett W
Hey Eric

You got your 6inches of clearence between the top if the windscreen and the top of your dry sump tank? Looks good though. You didn't relocate the rear mounts you just stiffened them up a lot?
nein14-6
What is the rule about shifters/ shift linkage in EP?

I will look for one of the tube type coolers, I have a catalog in front of me that has one in it from setrab. It looks like it goes in line with a brake cooling duck.

I have sent several letters to SCCA requesting more allowances for us. The last one, I asked for 914-6 GT spec (46 webers, twin plug, bigger brakes, hole in front trunk, etc), that would have been great. I get denied every time. I have been doing enough shakedown at Summit Point though that I know that the car could be competitive in it’s current configuration, well at least at Summit Point. The brakes are fine as long as you have adequate cooling. The motor is a little weak, I agree, I figure 190hp is about the most you are going to get out of that configuration. Maybe if there are enough of us out there, we can get them to change the rules.
Thorshammer
Is that what six inches looks like, Damn, I've been lying to women my whole life.

The rear suspension pickup points are raised 3 inches, by Chris Foley. he did a really nice job. I also did coil overs in the front, hopefully I can get the thing mostly plumbed this weekend. We'll see. A picture of Limberts flairs, the fronts are'nt very wide, and may be a problem, but we'll see. Wish the quality was better.

If I had to do it again, I would buy sheridans, but the front is too wide for EP/FP?? Kind of between a rock and a hard place. Does anyone Including brad have a pic of the HPH flairs???

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.