Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 2.0 Stiff Steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi, I'm just wondering if 914 are really stiff on the steering wheel. I have seen several 914 on You Tube and noticed that when they hold their steering wheel it looks like they have power steering. Or did they converted their 914 to a power steering already or do I have some issues on my steering wheel?

When I drive my mine, it looks like that I'm driving old model japanese car without power steering yet. My front tires size is 165x15 and planning to replace it with 185/x65/15 which I might make my steering more stiff.

Hope you can give me some help or clarification on this.

Thank you in advance guys!
TheCabinetmaker
No power steering on a 914. Doesn't seem like it would be a good idea as all the feel and response would disappear. I'm not sure what you mean by stiff, but if your comparing it a chevy with power steering, by all means it feels stiff. I've never heard a 914 steering called stiff.
SGB
at speeds below about 45, steering is pretty stiff if you are used to power steering, but the front end is lighter than a front engine car and power steering really isn't needed. You may have too much toe-in or negative camber if the car is lowered, and that would enhance the resistance to turning also.
SUNAB914
If you are using a smaller diameter steering well, then it will feel more stiff. My other car with original steering wheel, feels just fine even compared to power steering.
Millerwelds
Alignment has a lot to do with it. Mine was fine and I had it aligned after getting new wheels and tires and the alignment shop set it to their preferred settings. It felt like I was driving a Mack truck after. I researched preferred specs on here and took it back and had them change it to my settings and it was dialed.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 3 2012, 11:55 AM) *

at speeds below about 45, steering is pretty stiff if you are used to power steering, but the front end is lighter than a front engine car and power steering really isn't needed. You may have too much toe-in or negative camber if the car is lowered, and that would enhance the resistance to turning also.

Thanks for the info.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 3 2012, 12:14 PM) *

If you are using a smaller diameter steering well, then it will feel more stiff. My other car with original steering wheel, feels just fine even compared to power steering.

Yes I'm using a smaller steering wheel and that maybe part of the issue. And like what other said, try to check the alignment also since I did not had it align yet since I got this car. thanks again!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Feb 3 2012, 04:36 PM) *

Alignment has a lot to do with it. Mine was fine and I had it aligned after getting new wheels and tires and the alignment shop set it to their preferred settings. It felt like I was driving a Mack truck after. I researched preferred specs on here and took it back and had them change it to my settings and it was dialed.

Yes maybe I should do the alignment first on this car. Anyways this car has been sitting for almost 8 years from the person I got it. Thanks!
Chris Hamilton
The steering rack has one or two access covers ( depending on model ), inside are adjusters for the tightness of the gears. If those are set too tight it will make the steering feel stiff.

You can also experience weird steering issues if the U-joints in the steering shaft are somehow out of time.

Other things to check are to make sure that the last bozo to install a custom stereo in the car didn't get all the wires wrapped around the steering shaft, and that it isn't rubbing anywhere.

As for tire sizes, on my street car I run 225/50R15 sticky tires on the front with 1" wheel spacers and I don't have any trouble parallel parking the car or driving it at low speed.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Feb 3 2012, 05:32 PM) *

The steering rack has one or two access covers ( depending on model ), inside are adjusters for the tightness of the gears. If those are set too tight it will make the steering feel stiff.

You can also experience weird steering issues if the U-joints in the steering shaft are somehow out of time.

Other things to check are to make sure that the last bozo to install a custom stereo in the car didn't get all the wires wrapped around the steering shaft, and that it isn't rubbing anywhere.

As for tire sizes, on my street car I run 225/50R15 sticky tires on the front with 1" wheel spacers and I don't have any trouble parallel parking the car or driving it at low speed.

Thanks I'll look at that also! But wow with 225 wide tire? you don't have any problem with it. I guest there is really issue on mine. Thanks sir!
76-914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 3 2012, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 3 2012, 12:14 PM) *

Yes I'm using a smaller steering wheel and that maybe part of the issue. And like what other said, try to check the alignment also since I did not had it align yet since I got this car. thanks again!

It ain't the steering wheel. My wheel is small; no problem. 165 x 15's, too.
flash914
First, make the car feel comfortable... Jack up the front end and turn the wheel lock to lock. Check to see if you feel any tightness anywhere. If you do, disconnect the tie rods to make sure the ball joints are not frozen or comming apart. If it still feels to tight disconnect the rack to check the colum bearings.
Gordon
ruby914
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Feb 3 2012, 04:36 PM) *

I had the same problem not long ago. I pulled the caster back and it helped some.
Compared to my other car with smaller wheels it is still a little stiffer but not so bad. What in particular was changed to make yours feel lighter. Did you pull the caster back as well?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.