Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: The MotoGP is coming!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
Press Release

For those of you who are lucky enough to live in the Bay area, if you want to see some SERIOUS racing pray.gif come chk it out. Ill be there. smile.gif aktion035.gif

It'd be great if Nicky, Collin, KRjr or John (Hopkins) (I'd include Kurtis as well but the Proton hasent a chance in hell) can step up and Win thier inagural MotoGP race on home soil.

BTW for those of you who are Bike afflicted (like me) The SPEED (Nascar) channel had 6hrs of GP, World SB and AMA racing this sun. beer.gif clap56.gif
SLITS
Crap - i thought you were talking about the XBox game. sad.gif
lapuwali
Been there, done that. Saw the second and third bike GP weekends held in the US in the early 90s. Watched Eddie crashed big time when a brake pad fell out (!) heading towards Turn Two (!!). Watched Wayne beat Wayne, before he became a paraplegic. Watched Mick lose the front-end halfway down the Corkscrew and NOT crash.

Best of all, watched the sidecars hanging the wheel over the curbing in the last turn and slither up the hill spinning the drive wheel.

Wonderful stuff, then. Now it's just four-strokes...bah...
fiid
Man - I wish F1 was at Laguna.

My folks live on the Isle of Man - so I'm going to go over there to watch some bike racing sometime.
lapuwali
Isle of Man - so I'm going to go over there to watch some bike racing sometime.

Bike racing for Real Men ™. And they still have sidecar classes, too. Three events I've love to go to one day would be Race Week at the IoM, the Goodwood Revival, and the F1 race at Spa. The F1 race will have to wait under after the Schumacher Era (I don't care if the guy is the best driver of all time, I can't stand him), and the others only have to wait for a pair of round tuits.
fiid
What you said. agree.gif The Spa race on Sunday was epic. The Goodwood festival of speed is also on my list.
914werke
James I was at those events as well smilie_pokal.gif (Rode my GSXR750 at the time from Seattle to Monterey in 89 wacko.gif )
While I seriously thought I would hate the post 2-stroke show, I gotta say the racing is great! If all you were there for is to see riders spit off wicked 500cc GP bikes then I can see your dissapointment as it seems that the 4 strokes are getting easier to ride and faster w00t.gif and corespondingly tires are improving so get-offs are occuring less frequently.
Isle-o-man... Would love to see that show. but to say that only men ride cobble stone street coarses isnt doing the the current MotoGP boys credit.
Dont get me wrong.. Kevin (whom Ive met) KRsr (Whome Ive met) the Wayne's (who I just met last year at L.S. during a SuperKart event) Freddie and ALL of the old guard I still regard as my childhood heros.
bernbomb914
went to the moto at Phillip island last fall in aus. I was a great show

Bernie
lapuwali
I don't so much watch for the crashes. I just like the way two-strokes sound, esp. blipping down through the gears for Two. The sound of a pack of 250s going under the bridge between Three and Four while standing on the bridge itself was incredible. Unlike most people (it seems) I DON'T want the exotic race bikes to be just like anything I can buy off the showroom floor, and 200hp 500cc two-strokes are (were) about as exotic as they came. To this day, the most awesome bike I ever rode was an RG500.

As for the IoM and real men, the MotoGP boys don't ride a nearly unmemorizable course lined with stone walls and trees. It takes real brassy ones to race on a course that kills a couple of racers every year. The IoM regulars aren't necessarily better riders than the MotoGP guys, they're just a lot braver (or dumber, it's hard to tell).
DougC
I'll be getting me an RS125 this winter and start club racing again after several years away from the sport. I know it's small but everyone seems to be having a ball with them and I like that they're so much different than the 600s that most everyone has. I'm definately watching Speed this weekend! Can't wait!

Doug C
lapuwali
I seriously considered an RS125 in my last year of racing (1992, it's been awhile). The 125s were just appearing in the US at that time. They're really nicely made, and servicing them is absurdly easy. They require a very different riding technique than other bikes, however. Gearing is critical, the powerband is so narrow. If you mostly race at one track, this isn't too much of an issue. If you run at several different tracks, be prepared to swap sprockets regularly.

Sometime soonish, I may return to 125 two-stroke racing on four wheels. There's a fabulous kart track above Sears Pt, and karts are just as easy to service as an RS125, and have that marvelous engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.