Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sort of off topic - need opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Last Sunday I took the car to a family barbeque. Around 11pm I was heading home and decided to take a main thoroughfair (sp) vs getting on the high way for the 30 minute drive home. I have done this before, as there is no traffic and it is actually more of a straight shot home. Unfortunately it goes through the city of Westminster, CO - a fairly tacky place. The Martini car rarely gets messed with on the road - usually I get chased down purely to answer questions. I am also old enough that it is pretty obvious I am not some fast and furious wannabe street racer - that, and I am a very mellow driver. Sunday was different. I had a Z06 come up on my left, a Saleen on my right and some rice boy so close to my tail I could not see his headlights. It was obvious that they were very young and in daddy's cars. Usually you ignor them and they speed away as if they have proven something - this didn't happen. The vette started to squeeze me - I could have reached over and touched it. I didn't flinch. Mustang did the same thing. That was when I realised I could no longer see the headlights of the rice boy behind me - so I hit my brakes. He backed way off, and the other guys started talking crap - this has now been going on for a couple of miles. I notice that the kid in the passenger seat looks nervous/out of his element - like a good kid who somehow ended up getting a ride from quite the asshole. As fate would have it we ended up at a stop light. Based on the nervousness of the passenger I decided to push it. Once the driver shut up about how I had didn't have the balls to race him I asked him if he thought it was smart to be playing games in his step dads car with someone who had both the physical and monetary means to make his and his families life a living hell. I undid my harness and opened the door as the light turned green. There was a hesitation then they took off.
I am big, and I can take care of myself without issue - however, I would be lying if said I wasn't rattled. My first thinking was to call the cops ( I have the plate numbers), the second was to hop in my truck and immediately go back to the neighborhood where they turned off and see if I could find the cars, knock an the door and see if I could wake their parents up. They were no older than 16-18 - high school kids. What would you have done?

Life was so much easier before I got old enough to be sued and they started carrying guns. I miss the old days where you could simply beat the shit out of someone and that would be the end of it.

There is a big difference between mischevious fun and what these douch bags were doing - it almost felt like they were setting up for a car jacking.
SLITS
While beating the shit out of them would only get you thrown in jail and the police are overburdended with bullshit from most of the public - I would turn the license plates in and file citizen's complaint of "reckless driving / endangerment".

"And she'll have fun till Daddy takes the T-Bird away"
i love porsche
definetly turn it in to the police, people who do that dont deserve to drive. they will probably be hit harder than if you gave them a 1-2
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 1 2004, 12:09 PM)
I would turn the license plates in and file citizen's complaint of "reckless driving / endangerment".

agree.gif get their asses fried ...

i had a honda try to pull the same thing on me the other day,
i was cruising about 75/80 and he comes up from behind (i was in the middle lane, plenty of room to pass me either side) and he gets onto my bumper, like 1 foot space.
wiggles around there for a while, get's next to me, humping his gas pedal.

i just laughed at him and gave him the thumbs down.
pissed him off enough to speed away. dumbass ...
wink.gif Andy
Slowpoke
I don't know about CO. But, In AZ you had a good case for driver's rage going against them. Until you started to get out of your car (bad move). Then, you changed that charge against them to, them having a good case of driver's rage against you. It be smarter to just drop the whole thing now. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
DUde... i would have dropped em like 3rd period french! spank.gif

and then called the morgue to pick up their carcasses smash.gif...

but thats me biggrin.gif , ymmv
Slowpoke
Disregard my earlier post, I missed the part where you jammed on the brakes. They have a really good case against you.
Jenny
I get quite a bit of that myself. Been harrassed on more than one occasion by landscapers (three to a pickup). The guy was swerving everywhere, and almost ran me off the road (in my full size chevy). He was talking lewd shit to me. "What'd you say bitch? I'll shove my BEEP in your BEEPING BEEP."I wanted to do really really terrible things to he and his family. I called the cops on their sorry asses. Said they were driving under the influence. Got their trailer plate number, as well as their POS truck plate.

More recently, a :dhead: in his brand new Z decided to cut me off at a freeway interchange, then proceeded to slam on his brakes and cause me to lock mine up. Luckily I was in the 914, the truck would have plowed over his sorry ass. As it was, I was only about an inch from his bumper when my car stopped. Of course, since it was brand spanking new, I wasn't able to get a plate number. That shit pisses me off. I wasn't doing a thing wrong, and here was this guy that cut me off, practically made me rear end him, and then continued to follow and antagonize me (swearing at me, flipping me the bird) for about 10 miles. I used to think Bimmer drivers were the pricks on the road (generally speaking) but both my boyfriend and I have gotten into road spats with several (new) Nissan Z's. Fuck'em. Right in the ear. They're lucky we can't carry in CA. ar15.gif

Sigh... I feel better now. Thanks.

Jen
Scott S
QUOTE(Slowpoke @ Sep 1 2004, 11:58 AM)
Disregard my earlier post,  I missed the part where you jammed on the brakes.  They have a really good case against you.

Bullshit.
I dont see where I said I "jammed" on the brakes....
In Colorado, you rear end someone, you have to prove your case as you are deemed at fault for following to close.
914MF
Turn it in to the police. Whoever files first is the victim. It is good to get paper trail started to back you up if this happens again. Use the system before it uses you.
SLITS
I don't see where this is an argument about jamming brakes and the idiots having a case. If they were smart enough to figure that out, they wouldn't have been fuc!ing around they way they were.
fiid
I would report it. You could also just go to the cops and explain what happened and ask their advice. If the kids are up to this shit a lot, then the cops may already know about it.

I have gotten into spats with Nissan Zs before - the one that tried it on with me was seriously nailed by the cops for speeding from right in front of me (she was doing a 105 - I was only going about 103 or so.)

Most of the time the best approach is to ignore it. I usually engage people enough that they believe I am racing them. They then take off, and I just back off the throttle and leave them to it. Having them around going faster than me means I am much less likely to get pulled over.

Another tactic is to engage and then make a 90 degree right hand bend at whatever speed your car is capable. That would suprise the shit out of them. Most people aren't ready to race around corners so that would probably be the end of it. I also sometimes employ the tactic of driving extremely irratically, so that they don't believe they can drive closely to you safely. Act like you have engine trouble or something.

Basically aim for anything which defuses the situation and suprises them enough that they get wigged out and drive off.

Anyways - glad you are okay. Be careful out there - some people on the road can be very dangerous in many ways, safety, firearms, cars that are falling apart, untethered loads, etc.
Ferg
Scott,
I have to agree with you, it's getting a little scary out there, you never know who's packing...

In colorado, you can dial *CHP on your cell, and it's a free direct call to the colorado highway patrol special office to report drunks, and road rage. I have used it before, and it since i have now started the practice of ignoring these morons, it's the only thing that makes me feel a little better.

What happens for road rage reports is you give plate, time, road, car description what happend ect, and it goes into their data base.. second report, they recieve a letter in the mail, third report the jackass gets a visit at his door by mr officer. Last time I used it the dispatcher told me the guy I was reporting was on his second offence.

Ferg.
Chris H.
Geez this pisses me off. Does that mean I am officially "old"?

I usually recommend just dropping it, but the fact that they squeezed in close to you and there was a guy driving up your ass I say call it in. A little testosterone-charged revving the motor is fine, but once they get to the point of endangering someone's life that's where they needs to learn a tough lesson. Cops LOVE to put the scare into punks like that as I vaguely recall.

Nice job of avoiding beating the crap out of them. That never does any good.
Jenny
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 1 2004, 02:02 PM)
I also sometimes employ the tactic of driving extremely irratically, so that they don't believe they can drive closely to you safely.

I've done this before as well. People get pissed off if you're confrontational, but just plain scared if they think you're stupid. biggrin.gif

Jen
iiibdsiil
You can call 911 on drunk drivers too. The dispatcher will either take the info or forward you to the Highway Patrol.

And, I would file on these punk kids. At least let mommy and daddy know, because parents don't usually understand, and in this case, it would be good that they don't.

The cops probably won't do much, but at least maybe they will call mommy and daddy.
redshift
Call the cops, and then call your insurance company, and TURN THEIR ASSES IN.

They MAY kill someone.

Push the point, push it hard, people can't act that way, you can't just let 'em.

Good luck, and glad to hear you are ok.

M
BIGKAT_83
V8 conversion $3K, Eagle 3.75 crank $1K, Dart Pro1 heads $1.4k, Barry Grant carb $750,

A ZO6 and a Saleen at the sametime PRICELESS.

I'd kicked their ass

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
Call the cops and make the complaint. The least thing that will happen is that their parents will take their keys away.

I came out of a Micky D's and some punk in the pasenger side of a car sprayed the side of my truck with catsup. Almost hit me in the parking lot taking off. I got the plate #. The cops wouldn't do anything (lay charges) because I didn't see the driver and couldn't ID him. They did phone the reg. owner (the kids dad) and tell him what was going on. The kid lost his keys for a couple months. The cops told the dad it was lucky that I got stuck in traffic because I was really pissed off.
Brad Roberts
The cops wont do a damned thing. They have to witness the incident.

I personally would have a cop friend run their plates and get their address. Show up on their doorstep and see what daddy has to say. I'm really really tired of all the bullshit I see going on on the roads. Calling the cops/insurance is like pissing in the wind. Driving around looking for them is a waste of time. I dont know a single person who doesnt have a friend who is a cop.. explain the situation to him/her and get some contact info for at least one of them.

We chased some guy's that stole a car radio from a car outside my Texas shop.. lost them and found a cop as quick as we could.. told him what had happened and asked him if he could run the plate (I didnt know this guy) He runs the plate and GIVES me the address. I thank him and promptly show up on this kids parents doorstep at 3am banging on the door. The truck they used was still hot to the touch and sitting in front of the "nice" house. I banged on the door so hard you could see inside the house each time my fist hit the door. Multiple lights came on and a very pissed off DAD came to the door. Started telling him what happened and how the truck in the driveway was still VERY hot (after being chased for 20+ minutes at over 100mph).. he quickly goes to his kids room and starts yelling and beating the shit out of the kid...LOL clap56.gif Made the kid come out and apologize to us and paid us for the 200$ radio. Justice served.

B
johnlush
Scott, I would definitely file a report. Maybe Brad's right and the cops won't do a thing but at least it will be on record. If you don't report it maybe the next "victim" that does just looks like an isolated incident. Or maybe you're not the first and this gives the cops some incentive. Life's too short for that kinda sh*t, glad you and the Martini are OK!
IronHillRestorations
File a report, but leave out the getting out of your car part. At this point it's your word against theirs, and they are punk kids. Punk kids whose dads should pull the car keys for a long time.

Any attempt at personally contacting them, or admitting to any intended physical confrontation is legally unwise. Make the incident a matter of public record. At least this is what my Stepdad would've said, a excellent Attorney of 30+ years.

Clearly you had sufficient motive to get out of the car, but you wouldn't be posting about this if you are dead. You are thinking about when you were a kid Scott, well this ain't 1980, and there's too many young knuckleheads with a pistol and not enough sense not carry it.

Think the brat was dangerous with a car? Scare the crap out of him and piss him off; and then see how poorly his 18 year old Beer/Exstacy/Meth soaked brain cells process that information.

And then I wouldn't be able to sell you any more parts (a little comic relief)!

Just my .02 Scott, I'm sure you could've beat the punk like your first drum kit.

PK cool.gif
tesserra
I never race on the street anymore. When I was younger I used to, and saw two "challengers" wipe out thier cars to the ponit of being towed.
Most of us drivers on this board who have driven the cars at the limit often, far exceed the normal punk racer's skill level and should feel liable for taking them to the point at which they are over their head. They are not the only ones who could get hurt. How bad would you feel if some child got injured, or worse, because you took this punk kid in over his head?
Save it for the autox/TT.
When my three boys start to drive they will be on the autox couse ASAP.

Mans' got to know his limitations.

George
scotty
Think the brat was dangerous with a car? Scare the crap out of him and piss him off; and then see how poorly his 18 year old Beer/Exstacy/Meth soaked brain cells process that information.

agree.gif I teach high school and couldn't agree more...especially when they're with friends. Scary. Remember: your cell is your best weapon.

(So says this idiot who chased an identity theif in his car... I was lucky I didn't catch him -- my outback vs. his eldorado -- when the cops caught him driving off from his meth lab buddies, they found a sawed-off and other weapons in the car... Sh!t.)
colesax
Don't let it rattle you.

Had the car stalled on them after you opened your door, they would have wet themselves. Nobody's tough in a riceburner.

Great web site you guys!
Pnambic
Just a thought....since there were 3 vehicles and more than three kids involved, you might be able to use anti gang laws (if there are any in your area) against them.

If its one person, its roadrage, and easier to say it was a one-time stupid thing.
If there are three cars and 4 or 5 people involved, it becomes premeditated or planned, ya know? Generally, I think the law takes a more serious look at those instances.

Either way, glad you're safe.
brant
dang...

dang, dang, dang..

Scott, I'm glad your ok. I hate crap like this.
I say you should call the cops too...
even if you were to go talk to daddy, it would make since to file a complaint with the cops..

What if you are the 2nd or 3rd complaint, then the cops would have to do something about it.

brant
tracks914
First I would like to add, just picking up your cell phone and putting it to your ear is enough to get their attention. If they don't back off then, they are too stupid and you should go ahead and make the call.
Second, last summer a guy up here in Canada went chasing after some teens that stole his daughters bike. He followed them down a dirt road and confronted them (3 of them) His wife is now a widow and his daughter has no father.
20 years ago I use to fight way too much and for stupid stuff like this. Now I have grown up and walk away from this shit.
Don't get me wrong, if someone hurt one of my daughters I might end up doing life in jail, but there is a time and a place. That was neither!
Scott S
I called it in yesterday - real nice cop that seemed genuinely(sp) interested. We'll see. I said I would absolutely be a witness if I was needed.

PK -
Yesterday I got a call to fill-in for a buddys band that plays all 70's and 80's "jock rock' cover songs. I felt MUCH better after words - I was actually in a pretty good mood after "Hot for Teacher" ...... aktion035.gif
fiid
QUOTE(tesserra @ Sep 1 2004, 08:30 PM)
Most of us drivers on this board who have driven the cars at the limit often, far exceed the normal punk racer's skill level and should feel liable for taking them to the point at which they are over their head.

I respectfully disagree with this point. If someone gets in over their head, it their own responsibility. As soon as we start taking responsibility for the actions of others, all our freedoms start to go down the toilet, and already have.

Darwin: Survival of the fittest.
sgomes
From personal experience I KNOW the cell phone idea works. Recently I called 9-1-1 on a guy that passed me on the SHOULDER! He was driving like a nut case and was harrassing me for quite some distance. I picked up the cell and made a point of trying to get behind him to see his plate. Man did he gas it! I felt bad though 'cause it seems like I made him drive even MORE erratic and I would have felt terrible if he plowed into someone else because of it. All was better though when I saw him pulled over by a CHP a couple of miles later. I'd like to think it was from my phone call but it might have also just been a cop on the road. The CHP dispatcher did ask me what mile marker I was passing since they had someone on that road during the call (101 for the Cali people on here). I think they are interested in busting these people AT THE TIME. But if they don't have anyone near then I think they probably just file the report and move on.

I think one great idea is to carry a camera (still or video) in the car. Maybe even one of those cheap disposable ones. There are so many times when I wished I'd had a picture of the idiot. There used to be a website that some guy had in Santa Cruz. He'd post pictures of the idiots he saw every day driving over the hill. He got pictures of them in action. Eventually they made him ghost out the licence plates. (Why, I don't know) and then they told him he had to take the site down...some kind of slander or some other legal bullshit. I'm sure though if you had a camera pointed at someone they would start behaving pretty quickly.
lagunero
Glad you did made the call Scott smilie_pokal.gif A ton of great advice here, not just for you but for all of us. I don't know how old you are but if an 80's song made you feel better, I'm guessing we're around the same age. The beginning of the end LOL! Very capable of doing it but old enough to know better. Although your situation was more than your average knucklehead, you now have the chance to wonder if it would've been worth it.
fiid
My stepfather called in a guy who was driving very agressively a few years ago.

He followed the guy for about 10 miles whilst on the phone with the Gloucestershire Constabulary (not my favorite police department, but that's another tale). Basically he chased the guy into a police ambush. It turned out the perpetrator was drunk and ended up getting seriously busted.
grantsfo
cmon these guys hooked you and you played their game. Sounds like some bored hormone laden kids. Art is figuring out how to get out of a situation without them realzing you have had them.

I use to drive in South Central LA and could extract myself from much worse of situations with people not knowing what happened. I'm sure you could have done the same. Just leave it, not worth pressing charges. Youre just pissed because these guys hooked you into their game.

However some of do have freinds in law enforcement who can run plates. Then the options are endless! I'm thinking "914's Rule" spelled in flaming dog shit on somones porch might be appropriate.
airsix
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Sep 2 2004, 08:35 AM)
I was actually in a pretty good mood after "Hot for Teacher" ...... aktion035.gif

"Rummmmpa rummpa rumpa rumpa...Rummmmpa rumpa rummpa rummpa RRRRumppa..." cool.gif track #3 on Ben's "Driving Mix-1" playlist.

Glad you're feeling better.

-Ben M.
FriarJohn
Well, at least you didn't do what I, er, I mean, a friend of mine did on I-25 and Evans in 1991. Some jackasses in a small pickup truck were hassling him (tailgating, running up alongside very close, etc.) in his Scirocco on the morning commute and, after he got fed up with it, as they pulled up next to him he held up his 9mm pistol sideways (pointed forward and up) so they could see him releasing the slide, chambering a live round. Naturally they left him alone after that and exited the freeway at the next available offramp.

But then he got paranoid that they would report him. Or that someone else saw what he did. (Or worse, open fire themselves.) That was the one and only time he carried his piece in the car on the commute. Don't even know why he did it that day.

Has Westminster really gotten that bad? Sheesh. I haven't been back to Denver in many years (in fact, not since we met at the Bug-In - don't take it personally smile.gif). I think you handled it okay. The only thing I might have done differently was started dialing 911 on my cell phone. The police might do something while it's actually happening. Then perhaps follow one of them home while you have the cops on the phone and let them take it from there.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.