Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Light Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
does someone have a picture or drawing of the rear brake light wiring? I have 5 wires and five posts but i'm not going through all 121 combinations and testing them. Someone help! wacko.gif
Mueller
try doing a search here on the BBS, I'm pretty sure someone posted it....I got tired of losing the diagram, so I literally drew the pin outs on my trunk floor smile.gif (my car is far away from being anything "nice")

914 wiring diagrams

these "might" help smile.gif
lapuwali
If it was really only 121 possibilities, I'd say you were just being lazy. However, there are 3,125 possibilities, so I think you're right to ask. biggrin.gif

Out of the 5 wires, one will be ground, and using the f-d up German way of things, that means a brown wire. One other will have NOT have a matching wire on the other side, so that's the turn signal wire. With three remaining wires and three posts, you're down to 27 combinations, so stop being so lazy and do trial and error. Just hooking one up at random you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right. Test it, and you'll quickly figure out if it's the reversing light, the taillight or the brake light. Now you only have 50/50 odds on the last two, so no excuse...

(feeling like a real smartass today...)
eeyore
Combinations are factorial, not exponential. The same wire shouldn't go to every other post as well, so options go down as posts are taken -- 5*4*3*2*1

2 post = 2 combos
3 post = 6 combos
4 post = 24 combos
5 post = 120 (It appears one of us has an 'off by one error')

(uber smartass) beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 1 2004, 12:10 PM)
try doing a search here on the BBS, I'm pretty sure someone posted it....

that was me. i posted pictures of each side here a while ago in a similar post.

wink.gif Andy
lapuwali
Combinations are factorial, not exponential.

Doh! I'm a dumbass, not a smartass! (the shame...)
Joe Ricard
May be a dumb ass but to your brake lights work??? laugh.gif
BahnBrenner914
ok. i can find the ground but where does that go? and i guess there are 120 possibilities, i added the 1 instead of multiplying. if someone has a picture that says what color goes on what post that would be perfect.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 1 2004, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 1 2004, 12:10 PM)
try doing a search here on the BBS, I'm pretty sure someone posted it....

that was me. i posted pictures of each side here a while ago in a similar post.

wink.gif Andy

seems like today is "i don't read andy's posts" day ... wink.gif Andy
watsonrx13
Here's what I have from my records:

Electrical connection: row 1, left-to-right: (1) wire white/black, (2) wires black/white, (2) wires white/brown. row 2, left-to-right: (1) wire black/white, (2) wires brown

Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.