Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT hotels in San Francisco...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
I am heading west the first week of October, taking the family to visit SanFrancisco and am looking for recommendations for where to stay with out breaking the bank. My brother is getting married in Davis on the 9th so we will be up there later in the week.

I will be bringing 2 boys, ages 10 and 6 so am also looking for things to see and do...I know, cable car museum, pier 39, elevators at the Sir Francis Drake, exploritorium, zoo......and so on...

If anyone has others, please let me know...I think that Ax in a rental is out....as is most hanging out with 914 guys and gals.....although that is a vacation for me..

Let the ideas fly!!
Thanks, herb
SirAndy
alcatraz, walk the golden gate bridge, ferry ride to sausalito, hike up mt. tam, stinson beach (use hgwy. 1 to get there, very scenic!), coit tower (sp?) ...

unless your kids look like the flanders bunch, you might wanna stay out of the castro area ...
(bad joke, i know, i know)

as for hotels, i never really stayed in one in the city, dunno, there's a really nice little hotel in sausalito right next to the ferry landing.

others probably know more about local hotels ...
Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 1 2004, 12:48 PM)
unless your kids looke like the flanders bunch, you might wanna stay out of the castro area ...

Moll, or Ned ... ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 1 2004, 02:17 PM)
Moll, or Ned ... ?

Ned ...

laugh.gif Andy
BatAc
International Youth Hostel. There are three in the city, the one by the park I wouldn't recommend for kids (too much like a barracks and poppin' 24 hours). There's one right downtown that has quite an ambience that I think you'd enjoy ('specially the price {the 3 of you could stay there for somethin' like $30-40 otherwise you'd be lookin' at an easy $100 if not quite alot more}). Also for Davis there's one right downtown in Sac that's like the old governor's mansion (built in the 1800's). I'd recommend gettin' the private rooms (or family room). You can walk to old Sac from the hostel (there's nothin' in Davis for the kids). Sac's # 916.443.1691. International Hostel 800.909.4776. Hope this helps, good luck, plus spend your money on fun things 'n' not hotel rooms. There are some unique experiences in the hostel market , you have to sort out the good ones (example monteray's isn't too cool but in San Jose you'd stay up in the hills in a log cabin for twenty bucks. Plus there are some wild ones in Alaska {whoops I digressed people in Seattle talk of going to Alaska like they're goin' to the store for milk. While the rest of the nation looks like going to Alaska is going to the end of the earth. Plus in the city there's a cool one in Point Reyes if you want to blow off the city thing and hit a little nature and the ocean with the kids. Try El Capitan Hotel $22 for a double 415.695.1597 or 800.325.4116; Point Reyes 415.663.8811; Marin headlands 415.331.2777; Point Montara Lighthouse 650.728.7177; SF-city center 415.474.5721; SF-downtown 415.788.5604 and a last tip www.norcalhostels.org } Hope this gives you a little info. Have fun!!! w00t.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 1 2004, 02:33 PM)
Ned ...

laugh.gif Andy

Son of a Diddley! laugh.gif

Jen
Eric_Shea
Priceline:

San Mateo - Marriott $55.00
Fishermans Wharf - Sheraton - $99.00
fiid
There's a Travellodge near the presidio that I believe is reasonably priced. Other than that I would look on Hotwire.com and see what you can get.

I am the worst person to ask tho - since I stay at the Casa Fiid.
vortrex
lombard st. is loaded with hotels/motels, not the big fancy ones. it would be a great location since the GG bridge, presidio, marina green, union st, and fishermans wharf all within walking distance. you will find that anything decent and in a worthwhile area is a bit expensive. you are in luck though, oct is the nicest month of the year in SF.
mikey
Check out http://www.sfvisitor.org for hotel reservations. I advise avoiding the Tenderloin and Civic Center areas. You'll find cheap hotels there but most of them are flea pits. These two areas can be very dodgy. Lombard Street is good especially if you have a rental car and need parking. Northern Van Ness Avenue can be good too.

I volunteer at the Visitor's Center (Powell Street @ Market Street). Drop by on a Wednesday afternoon and ask for me.

Mike
(I'm also a New Englander from Manchester).
Trekkor
My one piece of advice is: DO NOT stay in the city.

Stay in Burlingame or San Mateo. It only 20 min south.
Cheaper, free parking , less traffic , quieter.

Marriot is good ( mentioned already), Embassy Suites- So. San Fran or Burlingame are both good. They include breakfast and cocktails at night, pool, spa....

I've stayed at all these, they are gud. biggrin.gif

KT
vortrex
SF is probably the most beautiful, interesting, and clean/crime free big city in the US, take advantage of it. you can see/experience the suburbs in any state, don't stay there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Sep 1 2004, 08:55 PM)
SF is probably the most beautiful, interesting, and clean/crime free big city in the US, take advantage of it.  you can see/experience the suburbs in any state, don't stay there.

agree.gif yeah, tenderloin and market @ 7th is dodgy, but so what? as long as you don't run around trying to buy crack, they'll leave you alone ...

i'd say dive into it, it's well worth the experience!
boldblue.gif Andy
crash914
Thanks for the advice....We have to stay in the city....I did find quite a few hotels with "butget hotels" so I did find the ones that you all mentioned....I wondered if anyone stayed there..

Did I mention that I was born in San Francisco?? Wow, I am a native...It is my favorite city. we should have a blast.

I don't know about the Hostel route as most rooms are singles and dorm type, can't beat the price though.....I agree on Davis not having anything...It will have a pool and all the rest of my family though...

We might get up into the mountains, also..

Thanks for all the ideas! you guys rock! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.