Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porsche crest: -light hearted question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lostmybaby
Heres a good one. 914s did not come with a porsche crest, correct? However, most 914s on the street today have the crest on the front hood. So, if the crest is on the hood when you buy the car, what is the proper placement location.
I have seen the crest low on the hood, about an inch from the front, and I have seen the crest higher on the hood, roughly 4 inches from the front of the hood.
If placed, where is the preferred location?
campbellcj
If it were me doin' the drillin' (which it won't be) I would put it in approx the same location as on the short-hood 911's. A few inches up but I don't know the exact measurement.
olav
Mine came with the car and it is the exact same distance up the hood as a contemporary 911.

I never really noticed the variation between 914s though, never looked I suppose.

- Olav
lostmybaby
Yeah, I guess most people dont notice. I just happen to notice when looking at different pictures online. The variation isnt that easy to notice until you find two pictures of two really nice restored cars.
bobp
Mine is low on the hood, it was on the car when I bought it. I kind of like it, but if my hood wasn't already drilled, I probably wouldn't put one on at all. Drilling holes in non galvanized body parts seems to me to be inviting rust.

I never noticed different placements, but then 914s are rare in Buffalo. I have only seen a couple in the area. I doubt there were very many in the 70s, and any sold here originally, have returned to the iron oxide from which they were made by now.
Brad Roberts
They mount them low and high because of the hood cross brace runs right there. Some people dont mess with the brace and mount them above it. I promise the low ones had to have work done to the cross brace.

B
echocanyons
PP has a tech article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

complete with template
tracks914
Mine came with one high on the hood but it wasn't drilled. It was fastened with two sided trim tape. It wasn't easy to take off but at least the hood wasn't drilled. If I put it back on, it will be with tape again.
rick 918-S
I would perfer to see them mounted on a wood plaque or as a decoration on a desk top pen holder. IMHO They fall into the same catagory as those windsheid banners that tell everyone what your driving. I know that my post isn't answering the original question but I hate those things. Weld the holes up. We all know what we have. What else... Sorry if I've ticked anyone off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.