Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stub axles, hubs, ?s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
My race shop guy is helping me put together my driveline for my six conversion.

He would like me to use '72/'73 axles for the rear, which will necessitate changing the output flanges for the tranny, and the stub axles as well.

He says the '72/'73 axles are different than the '71 and earlier axles. However, I can't seem to find differentiation from any of the parts houses.

Are the '72/'73 STUB axles different than other early (i.e.. 69 to 71) stub axles or can I use '70 stub axles to mate to the '72/'73 axles?

Also, will these stub axles fit into a 914 hub that is drilled for five bolts, or do I need to find '72/73 hubs as well (i.e., is there a spline difference)?

What about the the output flanges for the tranny? He says I need to find the 901 output flanges from a 911 from the same year as the axles. Something about length differences.

Brad, you're a guru in this area?

What do I have to locate?
Brad Roberts
Nothing.

Shoot me 400$ and I will send you everything but the axles you need.

I stock this stuff and buy it every time I see it at a swap meet.

I can get you the axle part number on Monday that I use. NO spacers needed.

I have the early hubs/stubs and drive flanges for the 901. They are crusty and old, but I will clean them up for you. The control arm drive flanges slide right into a 914 wheel bearing.

B
Qarl
Brad, thanks for the reply.

I still need clarification about the differences between '72/'73 and the early hub/axle/stub axle?

Thanks,

Karl
Brad Roberts
From what I have gathered...

All of the CV/axle setup is 4 bolt 2 pin large face like a 930 CV.

The 911 stub axles will not go into a 914 drive flange redrilled. They will go into a 9146 drive flange and a ealry 911 drive flange (5 lug)

There is a slight difference I have seen between the pieces for the transmission (diff flanges 4 bolt 2 pin) One output flange was approx. 3mm wider than another that I had. I just made sure I had a pair that matched and bolted them in with new axles.

Ask him why you need that specific version.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.