Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Harnesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I just put them in today, and I must say, I'm very impressed.

We really exert a lot of energy to keep ourselves planted in the driver's seat. I felt like I was strapping onto a roller coaster. I tightened it up and let 'er rip.

My next mod will be to cut a slot in the fiberglass seat bottom to accomadate the floor belt for a/x or track.

I'll make a dense foam cusion wth the same slot to replace the very thick stock seat.
I'll even cover it with tan vinyl to make it look " like somthing ".

I may stick with the stock seats , forever.

What do you do?

KT
Brad Roberts
I collect the stock seats. By a real seat. It is worth 1 second on the course.

B
Trekkor
Right now, $600 dollars for a pair of the cheapest seats on the market is less important to me than the pair of 914-6 headers I really need. wink.gif

KT
jgiroux67
Wow, I love the look of your interior. I especialy like how you attached the harness's. Much better than my lousy harness bar where you cant even move the seats all the way back. Oh ya, thats a great idea for the anti-submarine strap, I might do that myself.
Trekkor
These are the M&R belts from The Racer's Group in Sonoma ( 707-935-3999 ) TRG

For under $400 for the pair including all hardware, clip in mounts.

Many colors available.

KT
campbellcj
Unless you're crashing, the harness mainly helps under -hard- braking. It is the seat bolsters that should be holding you in during lateral g's. Stock 914 seats do not have nearly enough bolstering to do a good job of this. Not to mention that real race seats are strong, light and properly designed for use with race harnesses (not true any stock street seats unless you have a GT3, F360 Challenge, or the like).

In other words, I'm with B that you should consider springing for an aftermarket seat if serious about autox/track driving.
Brad Roberts
I'm trying to figure out why he needs TWO seats ? F-the passenger is my moto. I dont care whether they stay in the seat or not during a high G corner biggrin.gif All they are doing is wasting my time by adding weight to the car..LOL

B
campbellcj
LOL, I felt the same way until last weekend. (I had NO pass. seat). But if you are going to drive with instructors and/or students, it is a good idea or even required in some cases to have the same equipment for them as for the driver. So that's what I did. (Plus I might actually get Liz in the shotgun seat once or twice wub.gif .) For competitive events I can yank the right seat and harness in a few minutes to save the 25lbs or so.

For autox there is no reason other than looks to spring big bucks on a pass. seat.
fiid
AFAIK - it's pretty bad to have 5 point harnesses without a cage. If you roll the car, the seat and belts will hold you upright while any compression on your head breaks your neck. Bad.

Is this also the opinion of others on here????

I am considering sticking a pair of Corbeau Forzas in my car. They run about $240 ea with mounting hardware. It's a little less than $600.
Brad Roberts
PCA time trial and club racing require a passenger seat and comp belts for instructors. Before they get into the car... I yank the seat cushion out for them and point out that the belts are EXPIRED... biggrin.gif

That would be totally cool if you get Liz in the car.

Hey.. how's the kid ? We havent seen pics of him in ages.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 1 2004, 11:31 PM)
I am considering sticking a pair of Corbeau Forzas in my car.

i don't think those are legal for any of the classes we run. besides AX of course ...

<_< Andy
fiid
Uh. I think that's what Bill and Doris had in their car. Don't forget that rules wise I don't exist anyway since I will shortly have a non-porsche motor.
nine14cats
Yep...Corbeau Forza's are legal for PCA Club racing and for Time Trials and for all other NorCal clubs. I specifically asked the PCA before I bought them. Our local competition director said they were good to go.

They aren't the most comfortable seat, but they sure are better than the stock ones!

Bill P.
eeyore
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 1 2004, 11:31 PM)
AFAIK - it's pretty bad to have 5 point harnesses without a cage.  If you roll the car, the seat and belts will hold you upright while any compression on your head breaks your neck.  Bad.

Is this also the opinion of others on here????

I know an off-roader who's BTDT, and testifies to it. He rolled his truck while doing pit/chase work. He usually put 5 points in everything off-road related. For some reason he skipped it on the truck he was in that day. Afterwards, he and his buddy swore they would never put 5 points into a vehicle w/o a roll cage.

I lucked into doing this the 'right' way. I used to A-X a friend's 914 equipped with stock seat and 5 point harness. I was always sticking out my knees and elbows (futilely sometimes) to stay in the seat. On my car I went straight to a race seat (Ultra Sheild) and skipped the 5 point harness. I can use the stock seatbelt with the seat and it works perfectly. The seat holds me in just fine. In fact I have to consciously relax, and let the seat do the work. It sure confuses the tech inspector though -- "Fancy seat, check. Uh where's the har..., oh, regular seat belt. OK, I guess."
fiid
How uncomfortable are they? Did you see the inflatable lumbar support option?

Sparco also has a budget seat which I also wonder about - but not all of these things will physically fit in a 914 right?
GTeener
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 1 2004, 08:13 PM)
I just put them in today, and I must say, I'm very impressed.

We really exert a lot of energy to keep ourselves planted in the driver's seat. I felt like I was strapping onto a roller coaster. I tightened it up and let 'er rip.

My next mod will be to cut a slot in the fiberglass seat bottom to accomadate the floor belt for a/x or track.

I'll make a dense foam cusion wth the same slot to replace the very thick stock seat.
I'll even cover it with tan vinyl to make it look " like somthing ".

What do you do?

KT

I have 6-point Willans camlock harnesses using the stock seat.

No holes were cut in the seats for the floor belt.

I also have the harness bar, so no stock belts in the car anymore. They never worked well anyway...
Eric_Shea
here's what I do with stock seats wink.gif
Eric_Shea
"Stitch" is doing these for me.

Padded...
Mountain914
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 1 2004, 09:13 PM)

What do you do?

KT

Since you asked...

IPB Image

Keeping the stock seats, and non-adjustable passenger seat at that !
I like to watch 'em turn green when I take the twisties ! icon8.gif
Trekkor
smilie_pokal.gif

M&R's at that!

Thank you.

KT
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 1 2004, 11:33 PM)
PCA time trial and club racing require a passenger seat and comp belts for instructors. Before they get into the car... I yank the seat cushion out for them and point out that the belts are EXPIRED... biggrin.gif

That would be totally cool if you get Liz in the car.

Hey.. how's the kid ? We havent seen pics of him in ages.

B

Not to hijack the thread but since you asked, Logan is doing great and is 3 now. He starts pre-school in a couple of weeks and is smart as hell. He is really curious about the "teen car" but runs away (from the noise) whenever I start it up. He was supposed to have a sister around this time but we have put that off (maybe indefinitely).

Liz has never expressed much interest in the p-cars or esp. racing stuff, but if in the right mood she might try a scenic canyon run. Odds of getting her to Willow are slim to none.

IPB Image
campbellcj
OK to get back on-topic, this is the type of seat I got. Cobra Suzuka (black w/ grey alcantara not the funky blue as in the pic). FIA approved kevlar shell seat; very light and strong. (Note: these have no relation to Corbeau - completely different company with a higher-end product in general.)

I use Schroth camlock harnesses for no particular reason other than nice quality and they're German.

The above comment that not all seats will fit a 914 is true. My seats are a pretty standard size as race seats go, and are a very tight fit for my average sized body, and there is not much room at all to spare between the center tunnel and longs. I have them bolted to the (reinforced) floor, using sidemount brackets which are on their lowest setting so the seat bottom is very close to the floorpans. Plenty of headroom for me (an optimistic 5'10").

IPB Image
Trekkor
Progress report:

I ran the belts at the a/x last week. Really enjoyed 'em.

Everyone who saw 'em was happy, too.

The floor/crotch belts are mounted now, as well.
I cut the slots in the seat, so the fit is great.
I like the 5th point as it prevents the lap belts from riding up.

I ran out of time to make the new thin seat cushions. I did find some nice tan vinyl to cover them from under $5.

KT
Trekkor
Here's how they turned out cool_shades.gif

KT
Trekkor
how they stack up idea.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.