Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement pads for under gas tank....what are my options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.242
As I am replacing many things on my car, I'm wondering what others have done that have been good replacements for the felt pads that rest under the gas tank.

THESE:
Click to view attachment The upper one here I believe was compressed as there was some rubbing on the sway bar. wacko.gif Maybe?
914werke
Use Rubber. the stock felt traps moisture. Your car seems to have fared pretty well.
Spoke
I've used furniture pads from Home Depot. They have the little dots for chairs and big pads for larger pieces. Works good plus they have adhesive on the backside.
sixnotfour
Your sway bar is to high.
jaxdream
Some have used computer mouse pads, cheap to get.

Jack
toolguy
indoor outdoor carpet- Home Depot. . look at their cheap stuff. . it's perfect. .
jmill
Sheet rubber with adhesive. Cut to size, peel, stick and enjoy. I was thinking of making kits but it's a bit too spendy for the CSOB crowd. Besides, anybody with a carpet knife and the website info can make their own.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm

Our General purpose sheets of rubber is very well suited for a wide range of applications and noted for its resistance to chlorinated and sea water, most chemicals, great resistance to oil and petroleum, ultra-violet lights, oxidation and its ability to maintain flexibility in cold temperature environments while exhibiting extreme toughness to wear and tear.
Mr.242
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2012, 02:15 PM) *

Your sway bar is to high.

I only ran this car 2 miles before deconstruction. I found evidence it had rub marks. Unknown if was going on or HAD been.

Either way, I must replace the felt. I don't want anything that will hold or trap moisture.

Surprised 914rubber hasn't thrown something together. Seems he has everything else. grouphug.gif

All great ideas...I will have a look at them all and choose.
sixnotfour
U-bolts holding the swaybar will fail, a great opportunity 1. lower sway bar 2. beef it up. Just sayin.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif
pilothyer
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 5 2012, 06:10 PM) *

Sheet rubber with adhesive. Cut to size, peel, stick and enjoy. I was thinking of making kits but it's a bit too spendy for the CSOB crowd. Besides, anybody with a carpet knife and the website info can make their own.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm

Our General purpose sheets of rubber is very well suited for a wide range of applications and noted for its resistance to chlorinated and sea water, most chemicals, great resistance to oil and petroleum, ultra-violet lights, oxidation and its ability to maintain flexibility in cold temperature environments while exhibiting extreme toughness to wear and tear.

I looked at that link and I like the material....what thickness would you recommend for cutting out these pieces? Thanks in advance for your reply.....Jerry
Eric_Shea
McMaster has the rubber.
Mr.242
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2012, 05:46 PM) *

U-bolts holding the swaybar will fail, a great opportunity 1. lower sway bar 2. beef it up. Just sayin.

Great....now I find out. I think the tank area has been painted blink.gif
However, it is a GREAT point and will ask the body man if he'd take on this before he finishes. I do want to drive this car and autocross it...so I want the sway bar to work and not just sit there.

Thanks!

Eric_Shea
Perfect time (other than before paint) to re-squirt that area and blend. It will impact the finish on the outside... wheel well area.
6freak
Class is in session for me ....I agree with the beef up ...but didnt Porsche install them front sway bars ?if so why would it be to hi ....and that piece is two for each side ? with the fender in between Bolted? or welded I see threads and weldings the only way that a person would mess up the paint .....I say raise the tank just enough the clear the bar

MikeC smile.gif
Eric_Shea
but didnt Porsche install them front sway bars ?

Not on 6's. I've seen nor heard of one coming with bars. And yes, that's the way they "would" have done it.

You can see the U-Bolt in the picture. I say fix it right. Right now. smile.gif
sixnotfour
I say raise the tank just enough the clear the bar

The filler neck shroud and vapor canister may rub the hood , seen it before.
URY914
My tank rusted out where it rests on the pad. It leaked gas down into the driver's side foot well. F-ing mess.... sad.gif
pete000
Previous owner on my 74 used carpet and it trapped water and started to rust the tank. I had to treat it and POR the tank where it was exposed to the wet carpet. I ended up using the rubber mat approach. Tank is not back in yet. Hopefully it will work out better than the felt or carpet did.
6freak
10-4 ......that sucks Bro! But its a must .hope it dont cost to much...shame about the bling...but Jerrys good so welder.gif away

MikeC smile.gif

?mite the rubber pads squeak
saigon71
I bought a section of polyethelene pipe wrap at HD for about $1.50...cut pads and glued in with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
jmill
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Feb 5 2012, 11:18 PM) *

I looked at that link and I like the material....what thickness would you recommend for cutting out these pieces? Thanks in advance for your reply.....Jerry

The felt measures out to 6mm or @ .235". 1/4 will work just fine. Eric is correct that McMaster-Carr has it and cheaper to boot. a 12"x24" adhesive backed piece will cost you $38.35. Not sure if it's press cured or as durable but worth a try.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-sheets/=g4ytpd

Eric_Shea
Get the 3" strip already cut. Just slice it to size. wink.gif
scotty b
2 layers of Dynamat. It doesn't absorb water rolleyes.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Feb 6 2012, 07:19 PM) *

I bought a section of polyethelene pipe wrap at HD for about $1.50...cut pads and glued in with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

agree.gif I did it too.
Eric_Shea
pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Eric, your next video " check it now, the funk so rubber "

Check it out now, the funk soul brother
Steve73
I had the same rust out problem as URY914 did on the drivers side. mad.gif Original foam rusted out the body and the tank. Luckily the tank still held gas until i tested it and put a screw driver through it. What are the options to repair or replace the tank. I assume that welding the tank even when it is empty is not the best idea.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Steve73 @ Feb 23 2012, 07:34 PM) *

I had the same rust out problem as URY914 did on the drivers side. mad.gif Original foam rusted out the body and the tank. Luckily the tank still held gas until i tested it and put a screw driver through it. What are the options to repair or replace the tank. I assume that welding the tank even when it is empty is not the best idea.

Get a better stock tank. They are out there. WTB?
stugray
I have two spare tanks with all the parts.
Too bad you are not in CO.

Stu
913B
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2012, 06:46 PM) *

My sway bar in pic looks the same, so when I install the bracket I need to re-drill the factory holes for the sway bar to be lower ?
Elliot Cannon
Great! Thanks alot everyone. Now I've got to pull my tank and make sure my pads are OK. lol-2.gif If it ain't one thing it's..... confused24.gif
sixnotfour
If indeed they were are "Factory" 1. they wouldn't have needed the Ubolts.
Like 242 see if it is rubbing the gas tank.
kfish914
When I took my tank out it had carpet that matched the carpet in the car. I am the secound owner of the car and I understood that the carpet in the car was oringinal. ( it looked original when I pulled it out). Car is a 74 1.8L
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.