Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A-arm suspension -> rear of 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slugmika
We are going to make A-arm suspension for my race car next winter.
Do any of you have any idea or experience of that kind of modification.
I would also be interrested if you know a good www. pages about that kind of
race car engineering.

-Mika-
fiid
I'm also really interested in any pics of a multilink rear on a 914.

What are you hard nuts doing? Brad?
lapuwali
Hmmm. A subframe that attaches to the transmission mounts for holding the lateral links. Go old old school and run radius rods from the rear of the tub. Would need to completely fabricate uprights. Could keep the stock shock/spring mount. Would probably need to fabricate a new exhaust to thread it between the lateral links and the halfshafts.
eeyore
One of the '90s model year 911s has a double wishbone rear suspension. I think its the 993. I wish I could find the picture that comes to mind. Porsche built a ring around the transmission for the inboard suspension pickup points, then bolted the ring to the car.
Jeroen
Here's a pic of a 993 rear susp. installed in a full tube frame 914 (with GT1 body kit)
Aaron Cox
ron mistaks car?
seanery
yup driving.gif
Aaron Cox
i see a remaining piece of 914! drivers side door jamb! cool.gif
RAR
993 and 928
airsix
QUOTE(RAR @ Sep 2 2004, 07:07 PM)
993 and 928

Exactly. I'd also add boxster to the list. These cars would be the best combination of
1) proven design
2) availability
3) compatible hubs/brakes/CV-joints

I think this is a great idea because I'm of the opinion that the rear suspension is the real weak-point of the 914 once you've caged it and taken the rubber out of the front suspension. JMHO

-Ben M.
Jeroen
QUOTE(airsix @ Sep 3 2004, 08:20 AM)
I think this is a great idea because I'm of the opinion that the rear suspension is the real weak-point of the 914 once you've caged it and taken the rubber out of the front suspension

Why would you think that?
Weak, as in not strong enough or weak because of the trailing arm design
redshift
Yes

M
airsix
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 3 2004, 03:50 AM)
QUOTE(airsix @ Sep 3 2004, 08:20 AM)
I think this is a great idea because I'm of the opinion that the rear suspension is the real weak-point of the 914 once you've caged it and taken the rubber out of the front suspension

Why would you think that?
Weak, as in not strong enough or weak because of the trailing arm design

Sorry Jeroen,
My comment was poorly worded. When I said "weak point" I meant to say the rear suspension is performance-limiting, not structurally weak. It's heavy, not the best geometry, and it twists and bends a lot under load. Porsche's more modern multi-link designs can control the tire much more effectively (less unwanted toe & camber change)

-Ben M.
brant
HIJACK=

I remember a PCA club race in colorado back around 1996 or so.... I think Ron's car was still very new and had a lot of bugs left to work out. He trailered into colorado and missed saturday practice and qualifying. He started dead last on a tight 1.7Mile (teener favored) track. During the 12 lap race, that damn car took the lead.... Actually I think it was during the first 10 or so laps of the race, but then he dropped out with gremlins and didn't make the finish....

Very fun car to watch though
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.