Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bedding-In Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mwyatt
I just installed a set of Porterfield R4S brakes in my 914-4. They didn't come with any recommendations as far as breaking them in, and I was unable to find this information on their web site. The problem is, with the new pads (on the same rotors), I can't lock up the brakes. The stock pads I replaced locked the brakes without a problem. Any suggestions?
fiid
Stop trying to lock them up.

IIRC You are supposed to brake softly on new pads for about 500 miles. Be nice to them for a bit. Then try to lock them up :-).

If you are reusing your rotors I would think the pads have to wear down to he profile of the rotor (unless your rotors are 100% perfectly flat).
MarkG
When I put R4S pads on my 308 they suggested a few low MPH (30 to 0) stops to bed them, thyen no panic stops for a few days if possible....
Brad Roberts
0-80-40-80-40-80MPH .. then dont touch the pedal on the drive home. We use this procedure for Vipers/Boxsters/914's. You want to hit them hard and drop the speed to 40..then accelerate again to 80... then back down to 40 FAST.

B
fiid
Brad knows more than me - I defer to his superior knowledge.
KenH
Note:

If Porterfields are not bedded in properly they may never feel right.

Ken
Matt Romanowski
Brads got it. You have to get some heat into them, then very quickly bring them to temp and then let them cool. Don't stop the car and hold the brakes on. We sell / use a ton of Porterfields and that is the basic bed in we use.

Matt
mwyatt
Thanks everyone. I'll try bedding them in as described.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.