Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving The Fuel Pump Up Front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
What is the best way to move the fuel pump from the 74 location to the 75/76 location with a stock fuel pump? Does anyone make an access cover that will work?

Kelvin
SirAndy
QUOTE(914four @ Feb 6 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Does anyone make an access cover that will work?

Porsche ... biggrin.gif

Seriously, get the cover from a '75/'76.

Also, make sure you replace the fuel lines in the center tunnel with the high pressure version.

You don't want to blowup.gif your car ...
reharvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2012, 10:56 PM) *

Does anyone make an access cover that will work?

Porsche ... biggrin.gif

Seriously, get the cover from a '75/'76.

Also, make sure you replace the fuel lines in the center tunnel with the high pressure version.

You don't want to blowup.gif your car ...

agree.gif change to center tunnel fuel lines before moving the pump up front!
euro911
I'd recommend replacing the OEM plastic lines in the tunnel with stainless steel lines
Cap'n Krusty
And don't forget the various adapter fittings and/or hoses ..........

The Cap'n
Tom_T

What is the best way to move the fuel pump from the 74 location to the 75/76 location with a stock fuel pump? Does anyone make an access cover that will work?

Kelvin

.... or Kelvin,

You can move the FP per the 75-76 Porsche Service Bulletin for 70-74 914s, which relocated it up behind the steering rack cover (not attached to it as some have done), with the FP attached next to where your fuel filter is up there & mounted next to the access hole into the front of the tunnel where the fuel lines daylight.

Since you should also change out the 35-40 year old plastic tunnel fuel lines with a set of SS ones (see Tangerine Racing for the proper set), you can also run the FP witing along in the tunnel too (the service bulletin in the 70's had them run behind the pass. rocker cover since they didn't tear open the tunnel back then).

AA sells an FP Relo hardware kit which is essential the same as what Porsche used to provide to their service & parts dept.s back in the day, which isn't too costly.
76-914
Or, if you are a CSOB and want to re-use the 3port until it dies and then go 2 port, try this. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=117077&hl=
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 6 2012, 11:42 PM) *

Kelvin

.... or Kelvin,

You can move the FP per the 75-76 Porsche Service Bulletin for 70-74 914s, which relocated it up behind the steering rack cover (not attached to it as some have done), with the FP attached next to where your fuel filter is up there & mounted next to the access hole into the front of the tunnel where the fuel lines daylight.

Since you should also change out the 35-40 year old plastic tunnel fuel lines with a set of SS ones (see Tangerine Racing for the proper set), you can also run the FP witing along in the tunnel too (the service bulletin in the 70's had them run behind the pass. rocker cover since they didn't tear open the tunnel back then).

AA sells an FP Relo hardware kit which is essential the same as what Porsche used to provide to their service & parts dept.s back in the day, which isn't too costly.

Ahhhhhhh, "that" service bulletin again. I've just wasted most of my lunch hour going through the Porsche TSB book and it's not there ............. Probably with the one about the Porsche 2.0 head gasket deletion in some non existent place. AFIK, and I have the book as well as dealer experience in that era, there is no such TSB. It would have been really costly to do the modification, and it's not really very likely orsche (or VWOA, at the time) would have spent the money for something that isn't a particularly serious issue.

The Cap'n
JeffBowlsby
I was gonna ask...what are these 914 service bulletins? I have not heard of these...can they be scanned and posted for everyones benefit? Love to see them.
914four
Thank you for all of the valuable information. I have ordered the stainless steel fuel lines and associated connecting parts from Chris and am planning on putting the fuel pump in 75/76 location. I tried the bottom of the steering area but feel like this is not an ideal location so I will place an add in the classifieds for a 75/76 access cover for the fuel pump.

Kelvin
tod914
The 75/76 pump is narrower. I'm not sure the late style access plate will accomodate the early pump. Maybe someone can chime in. You could make the plumbing real easy with a late pump and a 8mm feed nipple on your gas tank.
rick 918-S
I moved the pump for Sandys car. Get a late model pump and cover off the classifieds. Here's some photos.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bob L.
Please pardon my ignorance but what is the benefit to relocating the FP? It seems pretty popular. I don't get it.
confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 9 2012, 07:21 AM) *

Please pardon my ignorance but what is the benefit to relocating the FP? It seems pretty popular. I don't get it.
confused24.gif

To eliminate vapor lock issues!
EDIT: If one is going to experience vapor lock issues it will happen where you live, my man. When I was a kid we used to put wooded clothes pins on the 327 steel fuel lines to prevent vapor lock in Texas.
JawjaPorsche
My 73 1.7 suffered from vapor lock issues. I just moved the fuel pump to the firewall ten years ago and have not had any problems since.

Terry

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 9 2012, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 9 2012, 07:21 AM) *

confused24.gif

To eliminate vapor lock issues!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.