Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Bearing Howl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
So, I finally got the front bearings done. Freezing helps, but it's not a night and day difference.
The results are in:

Passenger side - Great! smilie_pokal.gif

Driver side - Noisy mad.gif I checked the races, they are fully seated and square. Then I removed the bearings and rotor. I cleaned out all the fresh grease from all surfaces. Pieces are awaiting re-install in the morning.

Are there such things as bad bearings? Are the odds any better with the redo? Am I just an effing moron? headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 2 2004, 06:56 PM)
Am I just an effing moron? headbang.gif

well. probably biggrin.gif lol2.gif

what brand of bearings?
seanery
SKF fronts

I got the gay ones for the rears
Aaron Cox
hmmm. ive used skf's and timkins w/o problems. you sure you lubed each individual roller well enuff (like do one side, rotate, do the other?)
seanery
lubed like a sob
Engman
How was the seal? Did ya put some lube on it? Sounds like - 1. Seal not lubed or incorrectly installled or 2. The bearings were too tight. Remember you have to be able to move the washer (actually slide) the washer back and forth after you tighten the nut to the spindle.

M
seanery
it did it tight and loose. sad.gif

lube the seal? the seal that holds the bearing beind the roter? it had some grease in there, but not packed or anything.
Engman
You need a very thin layer of grease on the lip of the seal that sits on the stub. This make the seal rotate.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.