Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKC Metro Get-together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
We had a good start to a monthly get together of area 914 owners! With short notice, we had 2 914s and 4 owners pop-in. The goal of a monthly gathering of locals (and non-locals) seems reasonable. After this one we may have the next one in the Tulsa area and do some alternating arrangement.

So, the next OKC 914 luncheon will be in Oklahoma City on February 25th. The place has yet to be determined, but I hear there's a really good German restaurant if those coming are up to it. I hope to hit it this week and see what I think.

Once again, 914s are optional and everyone’s welcome!

Tenative List as of 2/13:
MBowman325 (Michael) and wife
Snakemain (Everett) and wife
Clay and Betty
vsg914 (Curt)

jcambo7
Of course you guys start doing this after I leave Oklahoma. For the longest time I thought I was the only one in the OKC area with a 914 and than I met two people and now that I have left, a bunch more are coming out of there closet! dry.gif
MBowman325
I haven't been that active for a while up here. I chased a guy down in Yukon one time driving a 914 and used to see an orange one on the highway every now and then.

Hey, catch TDY back to Tinker smile.gif They'll let you slip the 914 in on that C-17 won't they?
jcambo7
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Feb 7 2012, 09:56 AM) *

I haven't been that active for a while up here. I chased a guy down in Yukon one time driving a 914 and used to see an orange one on the highway every now and then.

Hey, catch TDY back to Tinker smile.gif They'll let you slip the 914 in on that C-17 won't they?

Lol...You could probably fit at least ten 914's on a C-17. Sadly they don't go to Tinker very often.
TheCabinetmaker
I got sent TDY from Tahkli Thailand to TuyHoa in 69 to pick up an EB-66 that made an emergency landing. That TDY lasted 9 months. Got back to Tahkli in time to ship back to Travis for discharge.
MBowman325
Just as a reference, the place I was looking at hitting up is Old Germany. Site is http://www.oldgermany.com/

I've heard good things about them and the lunch menu isn't high priced.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh man, That menu makes it look well worth the drive.
snakemain
Old Germany is good. Been there a couple times. A little pricy for dinner, but I hear lunch isn't as bad. It's out in Choctaw, so 20-30 minute drive east. Not sure about lunch, but it definitely gets packed on weekend nights.

I've heard of 3 or 4 other German restaurants in the OKC area, but haven't been to any of them.

I know my wife will definitely want to go if we're going to OG though.
MBowman325
I think Melissa would enjoy a counterpart there. smile.gif

As for time (and I guesss I should clarify this i nthe first post) I was thinking noon. Waiting until 1 at Toby Keith's put us at a busier time, and if Old Germany tends to fill up...
ClayPerrine
How about an address for those of us coming from the south.

That way we can plan on how long it will take to get there.

snakemain
Old Germany Restaurant, 15920 SE 29th, Choctaw, OK. 73020.
ClayPerrine
3 hrs 36 minutes. Gotta leave at 8 am to make lunch at noon. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Hopefully in a 914.......
MBowman325
Had lunch there yesterday - good food.

I'll need to get a head count (looks like 7 right now) to make a reservation so we can get a large enough table. She said they tend to get pretty busy between 12:30 and 1:00.
MBowman325
Clay, do you guys still get together for lunch / dinner down there? I'll need somewhere to take the 914 on a shakedown cruise once it's on the road... smile.gif

Clay - shall we shoot for 12:30 instead or would you guys rather a bit earlier start? (It's 'only' 30 minutes, but..)
ClayPerrine
Don't change the schedule for us. We will be there at or before whatever time you set.

Oh..and we don't have any meetings here. No one to organize them.

TheCabinetmaker
Bump.
MBowman325
I'm gonna call today and make the reservation for lunch. Looks like 7 but they have a 10 top there I'll work at getting, so if we have any stragglers, we'll have some room smile.gif

MBowman325
Also, fo what it's worth, weather is currently looking like ~60* and windy with no chance of rain for the day.
MBowman325
Reservation made under "Bowman" for noon on Saturday!

If there's a need, I should be close to

nine four zero - seven eight two - three six four three
TheCabinetmaker
Once again, life has got in my way. I have family coming in this weekend for a meeting, and I must be there. Don't even know when the meeting is yet. At this point I'll just say I won't be able to make it. I was looking forward to the drive, lunch, 914 conversation, and camaraderie. See ya guys next time. Lets try to set up meeting at hallett in April for the CVAR races.
MBowman325
Life likes to do that some times.

Hallett in April sounds good to me.
eyesright
Just saw the post. I hope to come up from Lawton (2 of us) though driving the MR-2.
ClayPerrine
We will be there... leaving home around 8am.

Got asked if there was going to be a Talimena run this year. I was going to bring it up and see if there is any interest.

ClayPerrine
Car is ready.. we are headed out the door in 15 minutes.

Hopefully we are not the only ones to show up in a 914.. poke.gif

snakemain
Here.
MBowman325
Had a good time yesterday at lunch! Had half of the folks there drive in at least a little ways (over 3 hours for Clay and Betty and and a bit less than two for EyesRight and his wife). Between 4 914 owners, one functional 914 did show biggrin.gif

Discussions were had on future plans - Hallett sounds good to those there for April and maybe we can move the location in May to somewhere closer to the TX border, making it more of a Texhoma gathering.

Also inspired me to get moving on the car as short talk of an April Talimena run was tossed around. I'll kick off another thread on that with that I've found so far (rust! Imagine that.)
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, two weeks later will be pca d.e.at hallett. We should make a decision on which weekend. Mayfast is all Porsche, but cvar has a lot of rare and exotic sports cars of all types. I'm sure i'll do both weekends since i'm just a half hour away.
ClayPerrine
We had fun yesterday. It was nice meeting everyone. Although I hope to be able to see more 914s show up next time.

Plus, it got me motivated to work on mine!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.