Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Practically a long block
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Gerry and I made good progress tonight. Got the PC's on and torqued down the heads. It now makes a really cool Woop, woop when you turn it. Damn near made me giddy

Dave
DNHunt
The little wire retainers for the wrist pins that JE sends with there pistons are a pain inthe butt. They are not c rings with holes for pliers like the stockers. Trying to get the little things in without having them shoot into the open cylinder register and disappear into the bottom of the case wore me out. But, I managed. The kid chickened out on that one.
DNHunt
The heads were awfully pretty to look at but they look great on the engine
Jake Raby
Dave, Lookin good!

What did you torque the heads to??
DNHunt
We followed the torque sequence from Charles 15, 28, end with 32.

Dave
2-OH!
Boy, Dave...

I wish I had that motor and you had a feather in your butt...We'd both be tickled...

2-OH!
crash914
Looking good!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

We are just about at the same point....now the fun starts, measuring push rods...

herb
Demick
Looks great Dave! Yeah, those KB piston pin retainers are really a pain, but once you get the hang of it they are very easy to install. But if you think they are difficult to install, just try removing one! I started to install one of my cylinders and forgot the cylinder shim under it so I had to remove one of those retainers.

Boy, I pity the person who has to tear down an engine put together with these retainers.

Demick
Rocky
Your on the way Dave smilie_pokal.gif . You have the anal eye for detail bootyshake.gif whish meens that baby will last a long time.

By the way Jake, you do nice work pray.gif

Tim
red914
where to start... beautiful engine, nice work, and you get to do it with your son! you indeed are experiencing the best of all worlds there. thanks for the pictures and keep em' coming!
Jake Raby
Those retainers are not too bad after you get the handg of them. Your best friend is a small pocket screwdriver and a dental pick (I'm sure Dave has one of those :-)

They pop in and out easily after you do it several thousand times.

The reason we use them is because they stay put! Some engines get a double set of them to hold the pin even better or they get a chamfered wrist pin that actually forces the lock out as it pushes against the retainer.
dinomium
um yeah, what they said Dave!
Kant wait to see it in person...
clap56.gif
DNHunt
We'll be working on it some this weekend, probably start valve train geometry. Anyone that wants to stop by sure is welcome. I'm sure it will be pretty entertaining watching us sweat over a thou here a thou there and so forth. Give a call first (253) 851-6447 to see if we are home. The wife bought a new supply of Coronas so life should be good. beer3.gif

Dave
Jake Raby
Dave, the intake profile of thatcam and exhaust are radically different. Don't be suprised if you have quite a bit of variance in the pushrod length from intake to exhaust.

I will be gone this weekend to work on some things at my girlfriends house that were zapped by lightning while we wereon vacation. Call me on my cell at 706 892 8192 if you hit a snag!
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 3 2004, 03:53 PM)
...Call me on my cell at 706 892 8192 if you hit a snag!

OK. Fess up. How many people just wrote that number down? biggrin.gif
crash914
laugh.gif it was already on my speed dial and my desk pad at work.... laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Actually, it won't do you much good..... It also gets forwarded to Kathy 99% of the time, I only have it for making outgoing calls..............

SO THERE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.