Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 motor mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I've heard Rich Johnson's is great and Patrick's is trouble on this board.

Others I've spoken with say Patrick's is fine and doesn't break. Also Patricks headers are supposed to clear the shift linkage so no mods req'd.

I'm not afraid to weld in a mount.

What are the major differances between these mounts.

The project WILL start soon.

KT
Jeroen
IIRC Patrick sells a firewall mounted engine mount as well, which should work just as good (and I *think* GPR sells that same mount)

What you don't want is one of those x-bar thingies that mount to the stock /4 enginemounts
JWest
Rich recently ran a "summer special" on his mount on E-bay. Give him a call and ask him what kind of deal he can make.

One thing that could make RJ's mount more desireable is that you can use any of the 911 engine mounts, meaning you could run stock, sport, or solid on your whim. The replacement mounts will always be available, too.
Steve
I'm not familiar with PMS new motor mount.
I would run and hide from a cross bar mount unless your running headers and its temporary.
The PMS cross bar hangs low and hits every speed bump.
I ran MSDS cross bar mount with headers for 15 years with no problems.
It wouldn't work with heat exchangers so I sold it and installed Rich's mount.
You will find that everyone with Rich's mount are very happy.
I'm running Rich's mount with my 3.2 and it does not interfere with the factory heat exchangers.

I saw one on ebay for pretty cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
It looks like Rich's but it could be a Vellios mount or ??

Steve
Root_Werks
I have used and installed them all, here is the scoop according to me: biggrin.gif

Rich's - Best choice if you can do just a little bit of welding. more work. I bet you could get a complete kit from him for around $450?

Patricks moly corss bar - Rocks, used them for years, easy, easy, easy install. Used them on track cars, never had one crack or break. They don't hang low at all. Use factory 911 engine mounts in the 914-4 engine mount area. Trouble is you don't save any money. Moly mount is like $350 shipped and the 911 mounts are amlost $100, so unless you just don't have the time like I did get riches.

Vellios - Good like Rich's, but Rich's is nicer, better thought out.

Other bars - if the bar goes straight across like a stock 914-4 bar does, run away. They get in the way of everything it seems. At least the Patrick moly mount bends up out of the way.

It is just about choice. I would recomend the Rich mount and if you don't want to weld or take the time to install the Rich mount, use the Patrick Moly mount. Because of time, I used one one mine. They work just fine.
Trekkor
Thank you, Dan.

Is there a mount that allow the use of the stock shifter rod without welding mods? I heard PMS bar does. welder.gif

Again, I like welding, just need to know.

It's almost GO TIME. w00t.gif

KT
JWest
All the bulkhead mounts clear the shift rod. It's the headers that hit the rod.
john rogers
When we put the six in my race car, we used the new Patrick mount and it went in great. The shop said it was much easier than the others and so far I have been happy with it. There are some picts on the Pelican site if you search.
nine14cats
Trekkor,

I have a new PM crossbar mount and a new PM firewall mount in my garage. Which one do you want to buy?

Bill P.
Duffster
I wasn't overly thrilled with the Patrick cross bar mount for street use. Broke the mounting bolts twice. Ripped the crap out of the rubber donuts the last time, and just had their firewall box welded in. It is really one of those Jamie Kennedy moments when you grind on the inspection lid at the gas station with your motor mount, showering the on-lookers with sparks. (Ok, so I might have been leaving a little fast). That said, the bar mounts have worked fine for any number of racy car types, including Don Kravig, who spun the entire length of the straight in the gravel at Phoenix a few years ago without tearing the car apart. I guess the lesson here is that even the track-side rough is smoother than the streets if the 951. biggrin.gif
john rogers
Duffster must be talking about the original Patrick mount as the new one sits against the firewall lower lip and nothing hangs down below the body sheetmetal?
Duffster
Naaa.... I didn't do the original six conversion.... the thing had a chrome moly "Rich Johnson style" mount which P.O. said was sourced from Patrick back when Slits was a kid. New Patrick mount works great!!! welder.gif
iiibdsiil
I have the Patrick moly bar. I bought the car as is, so I didn't make the decision. I probably would have gone with a firewall mount, since they are all about the same price anyways.

I have had no trouble with what I have though. I have a little duct in the front that always scrapes, but I have never had the bar hit.
nine14cats
Here's the Patrick Motorsports engine mounts. I have one crossbar and one wall mount. The wall mount is much beefier.... smile.gif

Bill P.
campbellcj
Regardless of the mfr I'd go with a bulkhead "factory style" mount. I do not know of any reason not to. You run a modified (914-6 clone) shift rod, which is essentially a straight rod vs the kink that the -4 has.
Trekkor
I like the cross bar that uses the stock four mount for these reasons:

1. I just put in the backpad, harness mounts and seats and I don't want to take it all back out.
2. Simple install.
3. Fully reversable if I need to put the 2.0-4 back in for any reason.
4. Cheaper.
5. I like the word " Moly ". monkeydance.gif

Just curious here, can I weld thick plate to the firewall with brackets bolted to the PMS crossbar for extra support?

KT
Dr Evil
$450 for Rich's and it came with everything. -$50 if you send him an 911 pully cover. I have one installed and I think it is great! Rich is awsome also. Look in the resources section on this site.
Brad Roberts
Trek..

you dont have to pull ANYTHING out of the car to weld the RJ mount in place. The wall down there is double thick and has a 1/2 inch air gap.

you dont have to... remove the 4cyl engine mounts...

you dont even have to weld the RJ mount into the tub. You can bolt it into place (requires removal of backpad)

B
McMark
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 3 2004, 08:15 PM)
Just curious here, can I weld thick plate to the firewall with brackets bolted to the PMS crossbar for extra support?

KT

If you're gonna weld, why are you using the crossbar mount? biggrin.gif
TBrads914/6
Had a cross bar and went to one of Rich's. Worht the money. Thanks Rich.
Steve
Buy Rich's!!!
Anything else is second best.
Cross bar been there done that!!
Having a mount that works with Heat Exchangers is also a huge blessing in the winter time.

Thanks Rich for such a great product.

Steve
Brad Roberts
Trek... you getting the hint yet ?

B
Jeroen
Should be pretty clear by now... get the PMS crossbar biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I am actually going to use the PMS Moly mount.

I'll never run H.E.'s again.

I run my a/c year 'round and wear shorts every day. wink.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
You buying Bills ?? If so I wont say anything negative.... :finger2:

B
nine14cats
Don't say anything negative.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I'm just giving him a hard time.

B
Trekkor
The biggest thing to keep in mind...Even for me. This is 95% street car. I just pretend I race. lol2.gif

Bill's the man.

KT
Jeroen
Buy Bill's bulkhead mount... that way we can say what we want about the bar-mount lol2.gif
Trekkor
Say anything you like, I not listening.LAA LAA LAA monkeydance.gif

KT
nine14cats
that-a-boy trekkor laugh.gif

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.