Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It breathes, it woofs, it runs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
My 2.6 Motec, Pauter etc engine has come to life. It sounded great from the get go...almost no stumbling coughing etc.

The Triad muffler sounds great...not as loud as I was worried it might be.

Still some wiring issues to sort out, but I'm getting there. The guy that sold me the engine has been super helpful getting it up and running.

Not a lot of programming to be done since it was already dialed in from before...he changed it to the upright fan and had it gone through and spiffed up...replaced the cam even though it was unnecessary. We have a reference error message....but it runs, I'm going to need a starter with more umph I'm thinking. brand new Optima battery, and it cranks slow making it hard to start. No more funds to throw at it for now though...

Now if I can just find the time to finish the flares....

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
machina
beautiful motor john.

glad you got her breathing.

dr
thesey914
Very nice, I like the custom bracket for the oil pressure sender and the VW oil cap on the defunct distributor body. Is the filler also the breather....have to be careful when filling with oil?
John Kelly
The filler is just to the right of the breather and down a little in the picture. It is a modified type 4 Bus (I think)filler tube.

Anyone have recommendations on a hi-torque starter? Should I take mine in and have it re-wound?

Thanks guys, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
red914
good heavens, what are you putting that in? it looks awesome. maybe if i feed my engine Wheaties...
John Kelly
It's temporary home is my 914:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980160442904

It will be in my mid-engine Ghia eventually.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
red914
oooo, mid engine ghia. i wll be looking for pictures of it. you make really nice flares, by the way. i like the subtle, flowing look.
Eric Taylor
John, Looks great. What kind of induction system is that? It's not carbed is it? The Fuel rails make me want to think Kit Carlson.
Eric
SirAndy
QUOTE(RookOut @ Sep 3 2004, 10:45 PM)
Will this one work with your motor?

that looks just like the baby i got from performance products ...

smile.gif Andy
John Kelly
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Sep 3 2004, 09:04 PM)
John, Looks great. What kind of induction system is that? It's not carbed is it? The Fuel rails make me want to think Kit Carlson.
Eric

Hi Eric,

The induction is TWM www.twminduction.com with a Motec engine management system, Rochester injectors...pricey stuff I would not have ever bought...all came with the engine.

RookOut, Thanks for the link...no money at the moment, have to get back to my work instead of playing with this engine. I'll be cleaning up the wiring a bit which might help.

Thanks fellows, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Mark Henry
QUOTE(RookOut @ Sep 4 2004, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Sep 3 2004, 06:06 AM)
Anyone have recommendations on a hi-torque starter?  Should I take mine in and have it re-wound?

Will this one work with your motor?

That's the one you want...but I think Kimco and a couple of other VW bug shops sell the same one for around $190.
Tom Perso
Go to your local FLAPS and pick up a starter for a 74 911 Cararra.

Give them your tired 4 starter. They look the same and both say Bosch.

That Cararra starter will drive your car around, much less spin the motor up.

Check it out,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.