Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ken's 2012 Plea for Plaid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
Some of you may recall a failed group buy for reproduction plaid back in 2009. SMS Auto Fabrics is able to reproduce the material in yellow (40) and red (45). AA also has some of the colors, but nobody that I have found has a blue that is close. The pattern (loom) for all the plaids is the same - they just swapped out thread colors.

I sent SMS a sample from my seats, but they got back to me and let me know that mine had been reupholstered. The pattern was not original. They are willing to make the fabric if they can get a sample of original material.

So, I am hoping that someone here has a set of tattered seats with original blue plaid inserts and would be willing to cut a sample out and send to SMS or me.

Click to view attachment

My seat after exploratory plaidectomy.

Click to view attachment

Your small donation could help a 914 be happy again!

Ken
Eric_Shea
Maybe Toast?? I think she had blue plaid.
tod914
Are any of those greens available?
dlo914
Toast had yellow plaid to match the yellow exterior of her 14'.
914itis
I think I may have 45'Will check in the morning, and post.
racerx9146
I would dig number 43 on my koenigs. Really cool patterns but I have not seen any originals in over 10 years. I am sure somebody has some.
jmill
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 7 2012, 09:26 PM) *

agree.gif I'd take Nr42
Type 47
I'd be in for a group buy for yellow
abnrdo
I would be interested in NR42
Eric_Shea
Toast had yellow plaid to match the yellow exterior of her 14'.

Yah but it was originally blue...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=58444
TheCabinetmaker
I still have the red plaid seats that came in my car. I also have a set of red plaid now that was redone and needs to be redone again. The original material did not wear well at all. I'm going to leather next time.
tod914
I really like that 43, but would settle on 42 if a group buy ever comes of this smile.gif Sorry for the color hijack Ken. Looked like George had yellow, red and orange available on his site.
Toast
Sorry guys but the blue houndstooth (not plaid) seats I had two sets ago are long gone. Otherwise I would definately help out.
toast.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 7 2012, 07:26 PM) *

I spoke to a nice lady at SMS today, and she thought that they had a green available, in addition to the yellow and red that they had a couple of years ago.

She also said that if an original sample (preferably from the non-worn underside of the seat) is provided, they will make it even if there is only one buyer. She ball-parked it at $125/yard with 2 to 2 1/4 yards needed.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 8 2012, 05:39 AM) *

I still have the red plaid seats that came in my car. I also have a set of red plaid now that was redone and needs to be redone again. The original material did not wear well at all. I'm going to leather next time.

Yeah, I spoke to the original owner of my car a few weeks ago, and he remembered having them redone. He said that the original material was very thin. However, it was his DD for many years. I will probably never drive it more than 5k/year, so wear is not a huge concern for me. Plus, I have a really nice tan interior to swap out when I am in the mood for change.
tod914
Cool deal Ken. I'd like to make some seat covers with it. I'll give them a shout and see which green they have.
Katmanken
Ya know Bad Ken,

If you really wanted to make a statement, you should have a kilt made from the same plaid material as the seats.

Think of the gasps when you hop out of the car! happy11.gif

Good Ken biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 8 2012, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 8 2012, 05:39 AM) *

Yeah, I spoke to the original owner of my car a few weeks ago, and he remembered having them redone. He said that the original material was very thin. However, it was his DD for many years. I will probably never drive it more than 5k/year, so wear is not a huge concern for me. Plus, I have a really nice tan interior to swap out when I am in the mood for change.

I'm calling there tomorrow. If they have #45 I'm getting some!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 8 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Ya know Bad Ken,

If you really wanted to make a statement, you should have a kilt made from the same plaid material as the seats.

Think of the gasps when you hop out of the car! happy11.gif

Good Ken biggrin.gif

That's why I will be ordering an extra yard if we can find blue. While driving with the top off, you gotta love that feeling of the wind whipping through your hair. shades.gif

Evil Ken
jmill
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 8 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Cool deal Ken. I'd like to make some seat covers with it. I'll give them a shout and see which green they have.

Please let us know what they say. beerchug.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 8 2012, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 8 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Please let us know what they say. beerchug.gif

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif I love me some plaid... idea.gif
racerbvd
Saw this one at Parade..
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
icon_bump.gif
Still on the quest for an original example of blue plaid/tartan! Anyone? Bueller?

Would also like to see if anyone has the black/gray, which is cool as well.
shuie
Try Autos International. I know they have the houndstooth.

http://www.autosintl.net/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.