Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: handle for mittlemotor gt headlight kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
After buying the Mittlemotor in the last group buy , I needed solve handle problem. I wanted to use the handle and barrel nut provided with the kit and a stock 914 switch escutchen. I didn't want it to spin either. Took a 5/16 stainless rod and tapped a 6mm thread in one end and loctited a set screw in to thread the handle on. Drilled an .070" hole in the other end 1/4' deep. Then cross drilled a .200" diameter hole for the barrel nut. Added an .065" slot 1 1/2" long off the .200" bore for the wire to feed into and to use as a guide slot. ( to keep the handle from rotating). Used a 3/4" round x 1 1/2 " piece of aluminum for the body.
Drilled and reamed it 5/16" thru and drilled and tapped it m14 x 1.0 for the escutchen. Then drilled and reamed a 1'16"hole and pressed a dowel pin in to keep the handle from spinning. This also makes it possible to unscrew the handle once the body is bolted to the dash. Here are some pix.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
porbmw
It looks like an elegant solution.
Thanks.
Where are you mounting it on the dash....the space previously used for the lights?
BTW
Bandaids....are they next to jackstands in 914 accessories...?
914dave
The jack stands came with a first aid kit. I did a mock up of the dash. I'll post pix tonight.
badm
Dave, so far this is the best solution I have seen to the pull handle issue, my solution was to use a choke handle kit and re-tread the shaft to fit the handle. The way you came up with to use a stock lighting bezel is fantastic and so much more in keeping with the true GT's Badm

Click to view attachment
914dave
Here's a couple pix . New dash facing of annodized aluminum with the New Vintage gauges. Planning on new discs for the switches made from aluminum with the engraving goin the disk. This way the lights in the switches will shine thru.
Click to view attachment
That's my quality control supervisor and director of photography in the second pic.
Click to view attachment
AZ914
That looks really good.. nice work on the dash. Cute dog too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.