Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dry sump oil cooler location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i have a question for you guys that are running dry sump systems with remote oil coolers. do you run your coolers on the pressure side or the scavenge side of the pump? i can do it either way, but im not sure which way is best.
ChrisFoley
Scavenge side is better IMO.
Its never under pressure that way, and the oil gets cooled before going to the tank.
Although factory sixes have the cooler on the pressure side.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 7 2012, 06:23 PM) *

Scavenge side is better IMO.
Its never under pressure that way, and the oil gets cooled before going to the tank.
Although factory sixes have the cooler on the pressure side.

so its never under pressure? i am using the cb pump and it has bigger scavenge gears. my fear was poping the cooler because i havnt made any provisions for any type of pressure relief on the scavenge side.

it would be nice to take the cooler out of the pressure loop.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 7 2012, 09:33 PM) *

so its never under pressure?

Well, there's always a little backpressure created by the cooler but it dumps into a vented tank so there's never any significant pressure.
pcar916
I run both. The scavenge side (front) is cooling foam unless there is some kind of defoaming element in that part of the circuit. It doesn't transfer heat as well as liquid does.

The cooler I have on the pressure side is fed with a sandwich adapter with -10an lines that makes a tremendous difference in my temps. I originally installed a fan but deleted it after the temps didn't get high enough for it to turn on.

If this 3.6L engine had a cooler behind number 6 (like earlier engines) I wouldn't have had to do this at all since mine is just a substitute for the factory Behr unit. But the extra filter is a good thing.

Ron
Bills914-4
I run it on the scavenge side to the front of the car thru a thermo bypass & a thermo switch (electric fan) & somtimes thru my heater/defrost core smile.gif than back to the tank .
I prefer the shortest route possible from the tank to the block , I even bypass the factory pressure releif and plumb from the filter directly in to main oil galley , I also have a temp sender on the filter bracket ( oil temp before going in to block),
and an external pressure bypass returning oil back to tank , Bill D.
mrbubblehead
so on the scavenge side it will cool foam and the pressure side it will cool liquid. i wonder what is more efficient to cool foam or liquid?

chris, i see your point about no pressure. i dossnt really see any resistance to create pressure.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 8 2012, 11:05 AM) *

so on the scavenge side it will cool foam and the pressure side it will cool liquid. i wonder what is more efficient to cool foam or liquid?

Liquid will transfer heat better than foam.
I think that a small scavenge pump will be moving liquid most of the time, and the oil cooler will have an effect of de-aerating to some extent as well.
Bills914-4
I've never notice any foam , but then I also run a Deep Sump and my oil coolers
are 96 plates , I've watched the oil return thru the top of tank ( cap off ) and its
not foamy , plus there is 4 8" long x 3 1/2 dia. screen tubes inside my tank ,
I guess to help with any kind of foaming ( 3gal. Howe dry sump tank ) , Bill D.
mrbubblehead
so do you guys think it would be a good idea to run an additional filter on the scavenge side? before the cooler? that would also help with de-airiation as well as keep the tank clean. or would that be too restrictive? or just redundant.
ChrisFoley
I wouldn't run anything more than an inline screen type filter to stop any big pieces from ever getting into the cooler in the event of catastrophic failure of the engine.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 8 2012, 10:30 AM) *

I wouldn't run anything more than an inline screen type filter to stop any big pieces from ever getting into the cooler in the event of catastrophic failure of the engine.

would the stock screen fill that role? because i am using the stock pick up tube to scavenge...
Bills914-4
I run a screen on the bottom of my pickup tube , I tried a filter on the scavinging side in the beginning and I had some small issues , I think the factory screen is to
fine , you want the least amount of resistance on scavinging side IMO , Bill D.
mrbubblehead
how does this routing look?

IPB Image
Bills914-4
I'm not sure about the CB pump , but on my BugPack pump the scavenge gears are the inner gears , because of the engine mount bar I draw thru the pick-up tube and
exit out the side of the case in two places ,one for the cooler in the rear and one for the that goes to the front , i also drilled out the oil galley hole bigger (the one that feeds the two cooler fittings from the pump ) ,

It looks like the red one from the tank should go to the other side of the pump , it feeds the pump (no pressure) , the other red one going to the filter should be off the pump opposite the feed line (pressure side) , scavenge line goes to the side of the case were the stock filter mounts (pressure side of scavenge gears)
I hope this helps Bill D.
mrbubblehead
your right i have the red and green lines going to the pump backwards. this pump uses the case feed and scavenge oil pump passages. thats why i am exiting from the old filter stand with the pressure. and then enter thru the old cooler location straight to the mains.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.