Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 valve adjustment/engine number help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aylanco
Hi All,

Newbie question here. I am a long time 356/911 owner and have had my 914 now for about a month. I love it mueba.gif

I want to do a valve adjustment and I understand the SOME of the 2.0 have hydraulic valves. Is this true? If so, I would need to check that with the engine number. Where do I find that? I don't see it anywhere frome above(I haven't looked underneath for it yet).

Thanks!
ArtechnikA
NO Porsche 2,0 ever CAME with hydraulic lifters. Bus motors did. and a few people have converted at rebuild time. if you have one of those, the engine number won't help. and i don't think even if it's a bus motor you could tell anything just by looking at the engine number.

you're going to have to pull a valve (rocker...) cover and check.

unfortunately, i have no idea what to look for -- but there are people here who've been fooled by hydraulics before, and i suspect they'll chime in with the definitive tell-tales...

oh - and welcome !
type47
if i was in your situation, i would pull a valve cover and check for clearance between a rocker and valve stem (of course, at TDC of that cylinder). i would expect NO clearance if hyd and some if not hyd. hyd lifters are adjusted for no clearance. naturally, there are lots of ifs, ands, and buts...
aylanco
Thanks for the reply! And thank you for the clarification. This 2.0 is a transplant, the car was originally a 1.7 so is it possible that this is in fact a bus motor?

Thanks!
aylanco
Oh YeAh, one last thing. Where do I find the engine number?? huh.gif huh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(aylanco @ Sep 3 2004, 07:35 AM)
...the car was originally a 1.7 so is it possible that this is in fact a bus motor?

with 35 years of intervening history, ANYTHING is possible.
assume nothing, check everything, go back to basics and understand what you've got to start with. work from there.
jPs
Just got my 914 and as part of the tuneup I went to adj. the valves. I was having one heck of a time and even by removing the adj screw I still had zero tolerance to fit a feeler guage. After pulling out my hair I contact a friend whom has built several vw's engines. He came by and slid underneath on the creeper and informed me they are hydralic. The short of it is if you cannot get a feeler guage to fit on at least to cylinders (when set to TDC) you almost assuredly have hyd. lifters. The only way to know for _sure_ as he informed me is to pull the engine and lifter but I trust his many years of experience that he's correct on this.
aylanco
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 3 2004, 07:38 AM)
assume nothing, check everything, go back to basics and understand what you've got to start with. work from there.

That's what I'd like to do, sooooo, can anyone tell me where I can find the engine number?? I imagine that 914 2.0's have a different number than Bus engines.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(aylanco @ Sep 3 2004, 08:11 AM)
...can anyone tell me where I can find the engine number?

the spec 914 book (which i have) tells you how to decode an engine number, but it does not show where it is located. yes, they're numbered different than the bus cases - but even that is NOT definitive. i don't believe ALL buses had hydraulic lifters, and even if they did, there is no guarantee that a replacement bus case was not converted to solid lifters when is was used to build an engine that's now in a 914.

all the number will tell you is what the case was when the engine was new.

i think most of the /4 guys are out west, and they're just starting their day. one of them will post the number location FWIW sooner or later. sorry, i don't know where it is, or i'd tell you. i don't do much with /4 engines...
RustyWa
The number is up by the oil filler, on the case. You have to get your face up in there to see it. Lots of times the area is all mucked up. Check out the Pelican Parts site. They have a Buyers Guide that shows all this stuff.

Ah heck....here it is... http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.