Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt EFI ECU on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
Check it out...
What do ya think?
3liter914-6
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Sep 3 2004, 11:30 AM)
Hi All,
Check it out...
What do ya think?

I think it's megaexpensive. I think there are usually 2 or 3 other guys selling complete megasquirts for around $230. Personally having built 2 now, and with a kit for a third on order, I say build your own. It's rewarding, and not particularly difficult. Took me around 8 hours the first time as I wanted to be super careful and double checked everything, and then spent some time troubleshooting a dead 9v. Second go round took 4 hours. At $140 for a very complete and well detailed kit from Glen's Garage I say it's worth building just for the savings.
Mueller
good deal if you don't want to build it yourself....

bare bones unassembled unit is about $130 or so......buying one of these preassembled units takes the fun out of it, besides, you don't learn as much.

remember, that is just the ECU, you still need to make your own wiring harness and figure out how to tune it and configure the ECU for your engine (not too hard, just a lot of reading and web searching)
Mueller
230??? that is a great deal as long as they build them right and test them as well.........I'd even consider buying one from them...got a link??
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 3 2004, 02:15 PM)
230??? that is a great deal as long as they build them right and test them as well.........I'd even consider buying one from them...got a link??

Well now that I go look for it, there don't seem to be any listed although I know I've seen them for under $300. There was 1 completed auction at $245 complete with stim and pigtail harness. On the turbobricks bulletin board a guy named Kenny has been supplying Megasquirts to the turbo Volvo crowd at $200 a piece assembled and tested. That's a good deal, however I guess he had a few people dick him over on money so I think he might not be making any more although he might have spares. He also might bang out a few if you offered an extra $30 for his trouble. link here
3liter914-6
I forgot to mention part of the reason I think it's kind of a rip off is the $18 in shipping the guy wants. I will build, test and guarantee for 30 days a megasquirt unit @$230 plus actual shipping. Testing will include running it on the Megastimulator and programming for and running it on a 2L 914. I've got 1 kit on order as I wanted a spare I ordered it last week so probably another week or two until I could start shipping if anyone was interested.
d7n7master
I was hoping that I would find that Bowling & Grippo's Megasquirt linked up with Jake's dyno they would work out all the bugs - if I just waited. I have a 2165 that hasn't been cranked 'cause I still have stock D-Jet, and I'm way afraid it's gonna run lean. I seriously considered the CB performance injected throttle bodies. But my pockets aren't that deep. My D-Jet inj. has a near new J. Bowlsby f.i. harness. It's a beautiful thing. I'd hate to have to ditch it. Ideally I want to keep it injected. What I'm asking is what other parts do I need to complete the system? Can I keep my new f.i. harness? And how many greenies do I have to come up with to turn the key? Lotta questions smile.gif
Thanks Alot - again.
Gary
3liter914-6
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Sep 3 2004, 09:22 PM)
I was hoping that I would find that Bowling & Grippo's Megasquirt  linked up with Jake's dyno they would work out all the bugs - if I just waited. I have a 2165 that hasn't been cranked 'cause I still have stock D-Jet, and I'm way afraid it's gonna run lean. I seriously considered the CB performance injected throttle bodies. But my pockets aren't that deep. My D-Jet inj. has a near new J. Bowlsby f.i. harness. It's a beautiful thing. I'd hate to have to ditch it. Ideally I want to keep it injected. What I'm asking is what other parts do I need to complete the system? Can I keep my new f.i. harness? And how many greenies do I have to come up with to turn the key? Lotta questions smile.gif
Thanks Alot - again.
Gary

If you roll it yourself you can get it done easily under $250 I'd imagine. You might be able to interface with Bowlsby's harness, I haven't really looked at how they're done. I just disconnected the whole ECU and all the wiring and made my own harness using the MS relay board. Dave has a pretty good list of what you'll need on his webpage.

If you're doing a harness from scratch you'll need:
4 injector clips (I would suggest getting new MSD Part #2400 $15.99 at Summit for 8)
junkyard TPS + pigtail ($15 at a pick and pull)
1 injector connector from a Vanagon or similar to connect Intake Air Temp sensor
Resistors if you're using stock injectors (at 36lb/hr for the stock 2.0L ones they're more than big enough for your engine) I used a resistor pack from a Volvo 740 Turbo ($5 at the pick'n'pull)

Optional, but recommended is the relay board @ $65 for the kit
and an 02 sensor.
GWN7
I forgot to mention part of the reason I think it's kind of a rip off is the $18 in shipping the guy wants.

Not sticking up for him. (don't know him or have anything to do with him) But he's probably just quoting Canada Posts price to ship it (& packaging).

C.P. wants $5.85 + a "Fuel surcharge" + 7% GST to mail a pair of the trunk holders. It's $0.86 to mail them USPS.

Another example: I sent a box weighing 5 lbs. to the UK. today...Canada Post wanted $108.68...USPS $32.00

Another example why governments shouldn't go into business and when they start bleeding out the eyes. They should get out.

Now I return you to your reg. scheduled topic....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.