Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 - BURPING THE ENGINE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914.SBC
I dont have a renegade system. I have a remote mount water pump. I burp the engine with a radiator pressure tester. My filler cap is mounted on top of the manifold (high point). I turn the ignition on so the water pump is working. I then start pumping air into the filler cap. As I do this, I can hear the water pump prime as water runs through it, etc. Then I know there is no air in system. Also, there is a release valve on the pressure tester.

Just curious if there is another method for this that you guys use.
bulitt
I have seen mid engine front radiator cars with a small valve on the radiator which you just open to let air escape. Filler was also mounted above engine.
Bruce Hinds
High spots need a bleeder of some sort. I have a shrader valve at my heater core near the fresh air box, one on the top radiator hose and of course the overflow at the cap in the system near the engine.
Andyrew
Jack the back end up about 18" and let it idle with the cap off. Put cap on while running and keep the expansion tank full. As engine cools down it will suck up most if not all of the fluid in the expansion tank. When engine is cool open up cap and add in more fluid and fill up expansion tank 1/2 way. Drive and watch temps.

Its not the best way, but I dont have a bleeder up front nor a vaccume system to pull out the air. My biggest issue is the pump is sparadic and pulls and pushes on the system quite irregularly. Probably because I dont run a T stat.

In summer months it doesnt go over 180 with the fan on.
914.SBC
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 8 2012, 11:35 AM) *

Jack the back end up about 18" and let it idle with the cap off. Put cap on while running and keep the expansion tank full. As engine cools down it will suck up most if not all of the fluid in the expansion tank. When engine is cool open up cap and add in more fluid and fill up expansion tank 1/2 way. Drive and watch temps.

Its not the best way, but I dont have a bleeder up front nor a vaccume system to pull out the air. My biggest issue is the pump is sparadic and pulls and pushes on the system quite irregularly. Probably because I dont run a T stat.

In summer months it doesnt go over 180 with the fan on.

Thanks Andrew,I will try your method. Mine was working great but now I drive mine for about 20 minutes and it finally gets to 180 and then immediately pegs the water temp guage. I thought it was the thermostat. I removed it to test it and it works fine.
rick 918-S
Everything Andrew posted plus once you get the system filled park the car and let the cap off. Water is heavier than air. As the car cools it will self bleed off the air.
914.SBC
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 8 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Everything Andrew posted plus once you get the system filled park the car and let the cap off. Water is heavier than air. As the car cools it will self bleed off the air.

Thanks Rick...all this chemistry. I should have paid attention in school.
Black914_4
My boxster had front rad's with the fill in the rear truck.
I was told proper way was to pull a vaccume on system and then fill it with water. I had to take my to a shop to get it done when I changed the reserve tank.
Try checking with some boxster people/sites for more info. Boxster is pretty same car with a factory set up similar to yours.
914.SBC
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Feb 8 2012, 03:10 PM) *

My boxster had front rad's with the fill in the rear truck.
I was told proper way was to pull a vaccume on system and then fill it with water. I had to take my to a shop to get it done when I changed the reserve tank.
Try checking with some boxster people/sites for more info. Boxster is pretty same car with a factory set up similar to yours.

Interesting..That is sort of what I am doing. I am pumping pressure into the system and the idea is that will circulate all the water and air pockets with the help of the water pump getting all to come to top high point where there is a release valve.

Anyway, I like Andrew's idea of jacking the rear of the car up. I think that little trick alone should get all the water isolated and then I can turn the pump on an circulate they system.
Black914_4
I was told vaccume not pressure.
There was a valve by the fill cap that you could flip and it helped clear air, but suppose to take a coupe days. I don't remeber exactly how it worked.
Jacking the back might work, not sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.