Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuched Up Back Pads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I temporarily gave up on installing carpet on my firewall, but I do want to put something in the car to help absorb the engine noise.

I rummaged through a crate of old interior parts and ran across a few OEM back pads, but every one of them had issues. Since this is a temporary issue, and I plan to paint the back pad tan to match the rest of the interior, I took the worst back pad to work with.

The vinyl material had come loose and the cardboard was falling apart where the OEM mounting clips were attached dry.gif
Click to view attachment

My first choice was fender washers for backing material, but they would overlap each other and the holes were too large for the assortment of rivets I had on hand, so I grabbed a strip of thin SS, drilled some holes to match the holes in OEM 'clips, cut it down and riveted the assembly back in smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Then sprayed some 3M '77' adhesive on the back of the vinyl and clamped it with clothes pins.

There you go ... fixed and ready to paint (after a good scrub-down of course) shades.gif
Click to view attachment
McMark
Yup. I've done that. It's a great fix.
914_teener
I made a sheet metal tmeplate where the cardboard was messed up....test fitted it and then fiberglassed it .....put new vinyl back on. Think there is an old thread on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.