Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knobs and Switches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hello all,
Wondering if anyone can answer this off the top of their heads. On this '73 1.7 I'm missing a couple switches/knobs. There are 6 holes, and 4 are filled. I currently have the headlight switch, hazards, lighter and odometer reset. What am I missing? The fog light switch goes all the way to the left, correct? What goes all the way to the right then? Or is thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif ? I can get one tomorrow if necessary. Shanx!
dlee6204
You might not be missing anything. The switches for Fog lights, rear defrost, etc. would fill some of those holes but those were options on these cars.
dlee6204
Also this thread is a good photo source for interiors...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=58444&st=0
ThePaintedMan
Ahh, okay, so they could have been plugged? This car does actually have fog lights. One of them even works, lol. I hooked up a battery and tested it. Thanks so much for your help. So all I need now is a fog light switch. Sweet!

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 8 2012, 10:14 PM) *

You might not be missing anything. The switches for Fog lights, rear defrost, etc. would fill some of those holes but those were options on these cars.

mrholland2
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 8 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Ahh, okay, so they could have been plugged? This car does actually have fog lights. One of them even works, lol. I hooked up a battery and tested it. Thanks so much for your help. So all I need now is a fog light switch. Sweet!

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 8 2012, 10:14 PM) *

Dude! beerchug.gif
914werke
here you go
rgolia
was there ever a windshield washer knob or was that a Volkswagen thing?
914work
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 9 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Early /4's & /6's had a separate washer knob/button on the dash
Dave_Darling
I believe it was used on 70-71 cars. On 72, they changed to a stalk to run the wipers.

--DD
Tom_T
George,

Remember that the steel inner dash ill have either holes or knockouts for all possible switch options for 914's, while the dash face material would only have holes punched for those used on your 914.

So if you still have the original factory face handy, or pix of it while still in, that will give you a clue as to how your 73 was set-up.

Early 70 ones had a dash mounted wiper/washer switch to the right of the steering column, while all had the cigar lighter to the right, and the optional rear window defroster was to the right of that. To the left of the column from L to R were the headlight switch, emergency flasher switch & optional foglight switch (if so equipped) - see pix below.

For foglight switches - the green center type was used 70 MY up thru Fall 72 builds of 73 MY, then switched to amber 73.5-ish through 76 - so depends upon the time of the 73 MY yours was built - see the VIN door jamb sticker for build month/year.

p914.com has good info on the various eqpt. nuances over MYs, as does Jeff Bowlsby's websites:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

These pix are from the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare...." nailed forum, of Steve G's late 73 MY all original 2L example:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
.. sorry, I don't have one of the left of the column of this.

These pix are from an early 73 MY (8/72 build) showing the earlier foglight switch of John L's "Orangina" 2L example:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Ignoring the dealer optioned rosewood dash face on my buddy's all original 1 owner 71, these show full detail of the earlier dash/switch set-up with the wiper switch FYI:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hope these help put switches in place for your 73! shades.gif

Maybe someone else can post a later amber foglight switch in place on a 73.5-76, & a dash face with the rear window defrost switch in the proper position?
popcorn[1].gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sixerdon
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 9 2012, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 9 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Early /4's & /6's had a separate washer knob/button on the dash

/6's never had a knob/pull switch but rather a column lever that was a /6 specific part number neither shared with a /4 or 911.

Don
Cairo94507
I agree - I have never seen a six with a dash mounted wiper control and I have owned two '70's and my current '71. Until I saw the picture of the 4 cylinder '70, I had never seen a dash mounted wiper control at all on a 914 so I learned something new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.