Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't open rear trunk?!?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sandman 365
I am fixing up a 1973 914, the previous owner took out the rear truck lock replacing it with a button to pop open the trunk , unfortunately I can not find this added on release button (and he can't remember) . Anyone have any suggestions on getting the rear trunk open?

Thank You for your time

Sandy
TheCabinetmaker
do you have a Porsche reflector between the tail lights?
sandman 365
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 9 2012, 12:02 PM) *

do you have a Porsche reflector between the tail lights?

yes there is a reflector between the tail lights
TheCabinetmaker
You will have a button somewhere. Probably in the cockpit. Maybe under the dash, in the console, behind the drivers seat near the engine lid release, or there may be an emergency cable in front of the rear bumper and valance. Keep looking. Its there.
sandman 365
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 9 2012, 12:08 PM) *

You will have a button somewhere. Probably in the cockpit. Maybe under the dash, in the console, behind the drivers seat near the engine lid release, or there may be an emergency cable in front of the rear bumper and valance. Keep looking. Its there.

Still no luck. Will keep looking

thank you
SUNAB914
Mine was in the glove box. plus open the engine compartment and try to find the wires and trace them back. Good luck
Mike Bellis
Look for non factory wires from the trunk. They have to be there. Mine was in the glovebox...
KENNY
QUOTE(sandman 365 @ Feb 9 2012, 11:37 AM) *

I am fixing up a 1973 914, the previous owner took out the rear truck lock replacing it with a button to pop open the trunk , unfortunately I can not find this added on release button (and he can't remember) . Anyone have any suggestions on getting the rear trunk open?

Thank You for your time

Sandy

I had a handle Under the left fender that open the trunk
Robert21
i put my release behind back pad , should be a wire going througth the fire wall to the cabin. , if you want to put the reg lock back drill it out .
oldschool
Look also in the motor compartment....ask me how I know.
RickS
Mine is on the fuse panel, a little red button.
ClayPerrine
If you can't get the trunk open to trace the wires, just get in the engine compartment, push out one of the cups for the top latch, and using a bunch of extensions, unscrew the 10mm bolts that hold the lower catch to the body. Then you can open the trunk to trace the wires.

I suggest that you add an emergency release to the trunk. Just put a wire down through the floor, and put a ring on the end of it. It will hang next to the muffler, and be unusable when the muffler is hot, but after it cools, you can open the trunk manually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.