Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix Flight 27 - Concours, AutoX, +
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Phoenix PCA & Zone is pleased to present the Phoenix Flight 27 to be held this year in Carefree, AZ (just north of Phoenix/Scottsdale) - October 29-31.

See the following link for details and info: http://az.pca.org/concours/index.htm

(GMR) 9/10/04
Here are some added links for info/registration:
Event web site - http://www.phoenixflight.org/
Event flyer - http://www.phoenixflight.org/concours/imag...Flight27Ad2.pdf
Registration form - http://www.phoenixflight.org/concours/imag...t27_RegForm.pdf

Put those CA cars to the test, and join us in the valley for some fun. driving.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I don't know. That's awfully far to drive for just one day!! LOL laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
ArtechnikA
it is not one day, it is a 3-day event, and a good one.

i have attended (and the 356 has trophied at) two Phoenix Flight events in the past. the Phoenix Region guys put on a first-class event and the late-October weather in the Valley of the Sun is traditionally spectacular.

highly recommended.

we used to drive the '53 (which was only 35 years old then) over from San Diego so you SoCal guys oughtta go over and check it out... they deserve your support.
ThinAir
It's too bad my 73 won't be back on the road yet by then. Since the car show is open to non-PCA members I would definitely be there. I guess I'll have to be content with just seeing everybody else's rides drooley.gif
3d914
Ernie,

You should bring some pics of yours also. I'd like to see them. Is that a yellow or ravenna 914 in your avitar?

Also, would you be interested in any of our 9:14 breakfasts/fun runs? We could always arrange something up toward your direction - kinda drive-eat-drive to somewhere in between.

Enjoy!
Mike9142.0
Gerard
His car is 98 or 99 new beetle yellow.
Hi_Fi_Guy
I'm sending in my paperwork today. I'll be doing the Concours (street division) and the Auto-X. I live in Surprise, AZ so that is almost California wink.gif

The race is on to get the car 100% before the show.

If some 914s are coming from Arizona, California, or elsewhere I would certainly be interested in getting together for a meal or drinks with everyone.
ThinAir
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 7 2004, 09:51 PM)
Also, would you be interested in any of our 9:14 breakfasts/fun runs? We could always arrange something up toward your direction - kinda drive-eat-drive to somewhere in between.

I've been thinking of trying to organize a 9:14 breakfast myself, but have been waiting until I had the car ready to go. I'm not aware that the Arizona gang has actually done anything like this to date, except for when someone comes in from out of town and only 2 people show up for a dinner. Have I missed some gatherings?

I'm also interested in a caravan to WCC2005. The teener WILL be ready for the trip!

P.S. - My son Mike gave the info on my paint. The VW yellow looks really great on a teener. If you don't see the two paints side-by-side you'd swear it was a stock 914 yellow, but when you see the stock color next to it you see that the stock color is much greener.
3d914
Ernie,

No you haven't missed any gatherings yet. Our first one is scheduled for 9:14 am on Sept 26th at Deer Valley Airport in North Phoenix. I'm also putting together a little fun run after that. Email me at the link below if you're interested, and I'll add you to the list.

Hi_Fi_Guy, good luck with the plans.Look forward to seeing you there. I'll be helping out with the concours timing so I'll get to look the cars over real good. Are you running in the stock 2.0 liter class - CS?

Enjoy!
Mike9142.0
We have had two dinner's with out of town club member's, so far only myself and one other member have been to each.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 8 2004, 08:47 PM)
Ernie,

No you haven't missed any gatherings yet. Our first one is scheduled for 9:14 am on Sept 26th at Deer Valley Airport in North Phoenix. I'm also putting together a little fun run after that. Email me at the link below if you're interested, and I'll add you to the list.

Hi_Fi_Guy, good luck with the plans.Look forward to seeing you there. I'll be helping out with the concours timing so I'll get to look the cars over real good. Are you running in the stock 2.0 liter class - CS?

Enjoy!

Just let me know "where" at DVA and I'll be there.

I e-mailed the guy in charge of our local PCA auto-x the details of my car and he said I should be in Class AI... does that sound right? I honestly do not care what class they put me in as I just want to enjoy the car and see how it handles on the course.
gregrobbins
On September 26, we are meeting at the Deer Valley Ariport restaurant. It is located right at the terminal and control tower at the main enterance. PM if you need more details.
AZ914
Hey, I should be up for 'displaying' at the show. I really don't want to get my assed chewed in a 'concours' judged event.

The weather should be prime by then!
SLITS
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 8 2004, 09:47 PM)
Ernie,

Enjoy!

Where at in Deer Valley on the 26th - need to pickup a truck we bought in Green River/Cave Creek on the 25th. Wasn't going to stay the night - just head back to CA, but...............ya never know what could happen.
Mike9142.0
7th ave and Deer Valley Rd.
All the info is in the Breakfast runs & Meets thred.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 13 2004, 01:54 PM)
Hey, I should be up for 'displaying' at the show. I really don't want to get my assed chewed in a 'concours' judged event.

The weather should be prime by then!

I attended the concours prep & judging course put on by the PCA Zone 8 concours rep and it was amazing to see just how insane some of the concours cars can get. Just the classification and rules for Zone 8 judging make up a 78 page document.

If you are not sure what category to enter your car here are some helpful hints.

Concours: This is the full on white glove, no dust on the undercarriage, wiring harness, etc.
Areas Judged: Exterior, Interior, Storage, Engine, Undercarriage

Street: This IS NOT the category for daily drivers although many enter by mistake. This is judged as strictly as concours but the undercarriage is not judged.
Areas Judged: Exterior, Interior, Storage, Engine

Unrestored: Any car 10 years old or older with original interior & at least 70% of it's original paint can enter. Similar to the national PCA preservation class but less intense.
Areas Judged: Exterior, Interior, Storage, Engine

Wash & Shine: This IS the category for daily drivers and is the most popular and competitive category in all of PCA. All you need is a clean Porsche, no engine inspection, no original toolkit and tire spread on the lawn for the judges review. Just a clean good looking car.
Areas Judged: Exterior, Interior

Special Interest: Any car made by Porsche AG with non Porsche drive-train
Areas Judged: Exterior, Interior

Display: Any car made by Porsche AG (some regions allow reproductions in this category some do not)
Areas Judged: None

Each of the categories have sub categories to further separate the cars by model and year so that new 996 GT-2 are not compared to 50 year old 356s, etc.

When a car is judged the OWNER opens and closes the doors, deck lids, etc. so you do not have to worry about a judge hurting your car. The judge is allowed to touch the car but not open, close, push buttons, lean on the car, etc. All judging is done with the top up or targa top on and windows up. Once a car has been judged they may lower or remove their top and roll down the windows if they wish.

We learned that the judges should not try to hide the score but share with the owner what they have found so the owner can work on that area in the future (no cleaning the car once judging has started). The judges should give clear descriptions for any deductions and also give positive feedback to encourage contestants not discourage them.

In Zone 8 each class gives out awards using the following formula No. of entries divided by two and rounded down. That basically means you have a 1 in 2 chance of winning something if you enter.
AZ914
HI_FI,

I did go to the Cinco de Mayo Concours in Tucson this year and 'displayed' my car. My AVATAR is a pic I took at the show. I agree, there are people that put a lot of work into their cars and some of the judging is pretty strict. I don't think my dash-mat would look good on the judging sheet biggrin.gif .

A WASH-&-SHINE may be more appropriate for me. I'll have to check out the website to get the details.. It would be great to meet all the PHX guys. Unfortunately I can't make the 9:14 breakfast this month...
bwilless
Let the Flight Begin! Sunday's the auto-x, I'll be there in my red 914-6 3.0, I invite any club members attending to introduce yourself. I'll have on my blue club hat.

Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.