Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow Bird' RUF flying around the Nurburgring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgw
Maybe you have already seen this video clip, it's 'Yellow Bird' RUF Porsche flying around the Nurburgring racetrack. This website has two video clips: lap 1 and lap 2 - they are zipped and large so you'll want a fast data connection to get them.

http://www.green-flag.com/pages/Nurburgring.php
SirAndy
i dunno, he's pretty damm good at keeping the car on the track!

unsure.gif Andy
dgw
Yes, very good at keeping the car on the track. But looks to me like he is misssing apexes and there is lots of tire smoke in the second one.

In any case, I enjoyed both of them.
i love porsche
gotta love the yellow bird =]

Ruf is the best tuner for porsche, hands down
SirAndy
QUOTE(dgw @ Sep 3 2004, 08:11 PM)
But looks to me like he is misssing apexes and there is lots of tire smoke in the second one.

actually, he's not. he's driving extremely late apexes, but he seems to hit them pretty well ...

gawd, that track is sooooooooooooooooooooo long ...
driving.gif Andy
machina
QUOTE(dgw @ Sep 3 2004, 11:11 PM)
Yes, very good at keeping the car on the track. But looks to me like he is misssing apexes and there is lots of tire smoke in the second one.

Pretty clear to me that they said to the driver, "go out there and slide that bitch all over the place, make it look good" I'm sure that any driver that can powerslide a turbo 911 like that knows where the apexes are.

dr
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2004, 08:44 PM)
gawd, that track is sooooooooooooooooooooo long ...
driving.gif Andy

I worked and lived in Germany for a few years and have to say that my two biggest auto-related regrets are that I didn't go to the Grand Prix of Monaco and that I didn't drive at least one lap on the Nurburgring. I went to the new 'Ring several times for F1, Group C, and historic races, but never did take a lap of the old circuit. sad.gif
crash914
No, this guy is good....very good...I think that this was for an advertisement/ video commercial..

I want to drive like that in my sandles..
dgw
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2004, 08:44 PM)
actually, he's not. he's driving extremely late apexes, but he seems to hit them pretty well ...

They looked early to me, guess I've forgotten how to drive these things. smile.gif
Sammy
Yep, he was tossing it around and showing off the car.
He was prolly giving up 15 seconds a lap but it sure looks like fun.
Come to th
ink about it, that's the same driving style i use when autocxrossing wacko.gif
ArtechnikA
this topic was discussed at some length on nthe RennList 911 or Racing list.

i believe it was determined that it was Walter Röhrl, who -is- one of the best drivers on the planet. he can go quick enough on 'the racing line' when he needs to.

John Larson tells about a Trans-Am (IIRC) race at Sears Point where Audi was introducing some spiffy new turbo-Quattro race car. come the first qualifying session, it's raining so bad none of the teams will go out. Röhrl takes the track and is under the record on his first flying lap - and proceeds to lower the record on each lap after that.

SCCA was so impressed they banned the Quattro cars ...

i haven't driven at the 'Ring, but i did watch a 1000 Kms race there. and saw the Monaco Grand Prix ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.