Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Their engines are in the same place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
When I was a young lad, as all good tales begin, I used to think that Fiats were Porsches....

IPB Image
TimT
hah ask what Racer Chris has got to say about them Fiats..
mightyohm
Did Fiat copy Porsche? I don't know the X1/9 story.
Aaron Cox
ones a POS, the other...less of a POS smilie_pokal.gif
lapuwali
Did Fiat copy Porsche? I don't know the X1/9 story.

The Fiat did come later ('74, I think), but I don't think "copy" is the right word. The engine is a transverse-engined fwd package moved to the back, and I think FIAT was, in fact, the first one to do this trick in a production car (the MR2 [both versions] and the Fiero are the same idea). It used a single-cam 1300cc four originally (from the 121?), and got a 1500cc engine later. It was always heavier and had less power than a 914.

I've never driven one, but they always did well enough at autocrosses that I have to respect them. I did own a 124 Spider for awhile, and came to like the simple robustness of the design. They're cheap and sturdy, and saddled with the same low-quality steel and indifferent body assembly problems that afflict the 914, so most of them rust into oblivion early. Like the saying goes: Karmann invented rust, then licensed the process to the Italians.
neo914-6
A few friends had them and I had the bigger cousin, Lancia Scorpion. I'd say the Scorpion is a better comparison with the 1.9 liter engines. There were a few V6 prototypes and the successful Montecarlo race and rally versions.

Styling: Clean Bertone design, had nice small bumperettes until DOT made them design big "fence" bumpers. Similar to later 914's

Targa was very similar to 914's. x1/9's were imported in '74 so at least influenced by 914.

Engines: 1.3 litre transverse layout. There may have been a 1.5 liter.

Body quality: I remember flimsy hood and door panels, plastic panels, hardware, very rust prone straight from the factory. Early 914's had quality problems but hardware is mostly very good and few plastic parts. Rust came from neglect and battery...

Race prepped: don't know of any, but Forza FAZA produced perf. parts.
maf914
Back in the day I considered buying an X-1/9, but the car just seemed too flimsy. I've always liked Fiats, but their durability was always suspect. I had a Datsun 510 for years, which was a great car, but always wanted a 124 or 850 Sport Coupe just because they were so cool. I still enjoy seeing an X-1/9 in the SCCA production classes. They really look good all tricked out. wub.gif
Rhodes71/914
My dad had an X1/9, used it for rallies around the Willamette Valley in Oregon in the mid 70's. What I mostly remember is him working on it all the time and a lot of cussiing out of Fiat engineers. headbang.gif
neo914-6
What I mostly remember is him working on it all the time

FIAT = Fix It Again Time laugh.gif
lapuwali
FIAT = Fix It Again Tony, or Feeble Italian Attempt (at) Transportation

The story goes that FIAT had to stop importing the cars when formal crash tests came into being, as the cars kept breaking down before they hit the wall...

Heard them all. I've owned several Italian cars, and they've all been wonderful. I don't mind the stories and the ribbing at all, as it keeps the prices down so those of us who know how nice they really are can afford to keep buying them.
neo914-6
Italian cars, and they've all been wonderful

agree.gif I loved the design, feel, and comfort of the Italian car's I've owned. I wished I kept my Maserati Sebring but the parts supply was non-existant or inflated and there was no internet forums back then...
Felix
aircooledboy
has a couple myself. You guys got the acronym wrong though. FIAT= F@#king Italian Automotive Trash laugh.gif
redshift
Ooooooo Scorpion.... hey..

X-1-NIEN!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.