Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Dragon in Winter (video)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Took an engine down to Jake on Wednesday so he can get started on the 2056 build for my LE. Between my house and his place lies The Dragon driving.gif
For those of you who have never driven the Dragon, this will give you an idea of what it is like though the video really doesn't give a good sense of speed or lateral g's. I only met one other vehicle southbound and it was going about 10mph. shades.gif
Video is 18:30 minutes long blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxjbCeRwas

PS: the stretch of road south of the Dragon going to Robbinsville, NC is another fun road as is the ~20 mile section between Blairsville and Cleveland, GA. About half of the 145 miles (one way) I travelled included fun, twisty roads driving.gif
billh1963
Drove that once when I lived in NC and had my 40th Anniversary 996. Very cool road!

Cool video...although it feels very desolate with no traffic and no greenery...like you're the only person in the whole world.
clapeza
What time of day and what day of the week did you make the run? I've been wanting to drive it, but don't want to wind up in the middle of a Corvette club run or a mess of crotch-rockets...
poorsche914
clapeza: This drive was on Wednesday morning around 11:00am. This time of year there is very little traffic. Might be more on a nice weekend. I returned Thursday evening at sunset and met no one northbound and a half dozen or so southbound.

billh: yes, it did seem very desolate - especially on the way back Thursday evening at sundown. About halfway down, my alternator light started glowing dimly blink.gif With 15-20 miles to go before reaching civilization, I was a bit worried.
Very kewl and thx for sharing, Steve...
Now you got me Jonseing for that stretch of road...

My only question is 18 minutes!! Even with a load that seems a little pedestrian, no?? j/k

I believe my best time on video was about 16 minutes w/ traffic...don't the crotch rockets get under 10 consistently with the "Record" around 9. Some of the most technical stuff is in that first climb to the overlook I think.
poorsche914
Hey, Ken... come on up. driving.gif driving.gif
Yeah, 18+ minutes is no record. There were stretches where I definitely could've gone faster with a better running engine. My current one misses under load at certain RPMs. Plus my suspension is shot. So... in preparation for the 2056, will upgrade suspension with stiffer torsion bars and springs.
I want to run a route I made similar to what you and Scotty ran that last time you were here. But instead of coming back, loop all the way around via Gatlinburg.

driving.gif
SGB
Thanks!

You shou;ld delete the part about misses under load and just say you practiced great restraint.

First time I drove TOD I passed a guy on the side in full leathers looking off the edge kindy wistfully. That convinced me to exercise a bit of caution...
shoguneagle
The Tail of the Dragon is one of those "must run" roads. It goes to show not all the great roads are in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona. Every place seems to have the "right roads" for 914ers.

Great run but definitely better in the Spring when all the new growth is back for another year.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Hurt
West Coast and East Coast Sailer
Retired Military
dlee6204

Yeah, 18+ minutes is no record. There were stretches where I definitely could've gone faster with a better running engine. My current one misses under load at certain RPMs. Plus my suspension is shot. So... in preparation for the 2056, will upgrade suspension with stiffer torsion bars and springs.
I want to run a route I made similar to what you and Scotty ran that last time you were here. But instead of coming back, loop all the way around via Gatlinburg.

Hey, at least your car is off jackstands and you're driving it! driving.gif That's not the case for some people on this board. poke.gif

One of these days I need to make a trip to the western part of the state in my teener. The dragon is of course on my list of things to hit as well as many other great roads.
scotty b
18:30 ?? WTF.gif Was there a cop behind you ? poke.gif poke.gif
ejm
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2012, 06:35 PM) *

Maybe he was up ahead waiting for you poke.gif laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 10 2012, 03:57 PM) *

Maybe he was up ahead waiting for you poke.gif laugh.gif

dry.gif slap.gif
poorsche914

No cop but an extra engine in the rear trunk blink.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.