Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate Blues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I've had my taco plate off 3 times attempting to stem the oil leak. Each time I have used new crush washers and the paper gasket. Should the rubber O-ring be replaced each time it comes apart? One of the bolt holes is helicoiled if that means anything. I have all of Jake's Curil and locktite sealants. Which one should I be using? I spoke w/ Ron aka Slits and he recommended using studs vs bolts and to check the plate for level. Any other tips. This is my last oil leak to repair (out of 2 914's) and it is besting me. Any tips/tricks or similar experiences???
Cevan
As I recall, I used some type of gasket sealer on the paper gasket. On the o-ring, I only coated it with engine oil. My guess is the plate isn't perfectly flat or the surface of the plate or engine case is imperfect where the o-ring makes contact.

Here's what mine looked like prior to installing it.

Click to view attachment
ejm
Take a look at this thread
76-914
A million thank you's, Ed. That is exactly the kind of info that I needed.
Drums66
QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 10 2012, 09:34 AM) *

As I recall, I used some type of gasket sealer on the paper gasket. On the o-ring, I only coated it with engine oil. My guess is the plate isn't perfectly flat or the surface of the plate or engine case is imperfect where the o-ring makes contact.

Here's what mine looked like prior to installing it.

Click to view attachment

.......From my experience 76- 914.....this is it!! idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif popcorn[1].gif
76-914
I think I got it. At least it is holding after a 45 min run this AM and it's been holding all day. The cover piece was slightly warped. I straightened it, cleaned it, threw the paper gasket in the trash and used some Locktite red gasket maker around the bolt holes and some around the now used crush washers. I now have 2 914's that haven't leaked in several hoiur's. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 11 2012, 03:36 PM) *

. I now have 2 914's that haven't leaked in several hoiur's. biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif but... how do you know where you parked them the last time with no puddle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.