Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche crest placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
I'm looking for the correct measurements to put a crest on the front hood.

also, I don't seem to be using the search functino properly. When I key in the words Porsche crest i get 43 pages of results.

This is the same for anything I search for.
jmill
Make sure you add the (+) and click titles only. Without the plus the search engine with look for either word. Without the titles only it'll look through every post.
SGB
My opinion is that they just don't look natural on a 914, but if you want, it's yur car. I've seen it mounted too far up from the bumper and that looked way wrong. I think centered about midway up the headlight covers would be balanced.
AZ914
If you go to Pelican's 914 Tech article section, I think there is an article about it, and a printout you can use as a template. The height of the emblem is really personal taste. The bottom of mine is 2.5" from the edge of the hood and I think it looks good.
Tom_T
Since Porsche didn't put them on ANY 914/4 nor 914-6 production models at the factory, except a couple of early show car 914-6's in the late 60's for promos, and a few "specials" - there are a lot of different placements around.

These include:

1-2" up from the front deck lid edge, limited by the mounting pins clearing the brace on the backside (this is my personal favorite) - and it visually coincides more with the placement on 911/912 hoods, for which Porsche does have a spec which is about 3" IIRC (another location some folks use) - but due to the more curved 911/912 front decklid leading edge only 1-2" looks proper for a 914's flatter/straighter front edge;

The factory spec for the 911/912, which works out to be about where the bottom point of the crest meets a line between the inner edge of the curved front of the headlight doors/eyebrows line;

Centered up-down on the headlight doors/buckets at each side;

Top edge of the crest aligned with the top edge of the headlight doors (my least favorite cuz it looks way too high);

and just about anywhere in between these above 4 (counting the 911/912 spec).

FYI - here's where the Porsche factory put it on their "specials" - the 914-8 (with the 908 flat 8 motor - the only 2 made), and even here Porsche used 2 different locations!!!! huh.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Dealers did sell them & were more than happy to put them on for customers, as was the case with this Bahia Red 71 914/4 my buddy has owned since new. This I think is about the 911/912 spec'd 3" and it looks good, but I'd have nudged it about 1/2" to 1" further down closer to the front edge myself - as would've Jerry the owner, but this was already placed by the dealer for another buyer who backed-out before he bought it (as with the Western Wheels, Rosewood Dash Face, Turned Aluminum Threshold protectors & radio on this 914 when new).

Click to view attachment

So in this case of front hood badges - the choice is yours as to which location you personally prefer! idea.gif

Maybe get a decal or color print-out of the badge that you can set in various placements on your hood to decides which location you like best. shades.gif

Food for thought with these pix & others you may find in your search.
popcorn[1].gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 10 2012, 10:57 AM) *
I don't seem to be using the search functino properly. When I key in the words Porsche crest i get 43 pages of results.

This is the same for anything I search for.

The search page does have a "Advanced Usage Help" link ... poke.gif

As for the crest, there is no "correct measurement" since no production 914 ever came with one from the factory ...
shades.gif
ellisor3
Here you go:

Pelican Parts Article on crest placement on a 914

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm
lonewolfe
From looking at the pictures the red car looks best with the silver/gold car looking good as well. The badge placement on the orange car just looks wrong in my opinion.
PRS914-6
Pay no attention to the negatives.....If you like a hood badge, put one on. 914's didn't come with a 3.6, 915's fancy seats, wide tires etc but everyone likes them. I don't know why this topic always gets so negative as it's just a personal decision and not a violation of the Porsche law. Enjoy your car! piratenanner.gif

Now to actually answer your question, I placed mine 3.5 inches from the bottom of the hood to the point on the crest
Edit: If I recall, I measured the bottom of the hood to the crest on my 911 and duplicated that measurement
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Feb 10 2012, 07:27 PM) *
I don't know why this topic always gets so negative

Negative? He asked for the "correct measurement" and i simply told him that there is no "correct measurement" and why that is.

How is that negative?
confused24.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 10 2012, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Feb 10 2012, 07:27 PM) *
I don't know why this topic always gets so negative

Negative? He asked for the "correct measurement" and i simply told him that there is no "correct measurement" and why that is.

How is that negative?
confused24.gif

Never said your comment was negative Andy. I said this topic always gets negative. If you look at every time it comes up, you hear the badgering that the 914 never came with a crest. Those wanting one should not be discouraged by those that feel it's a sacrilegious violation to the 914. (like the rear reflector) smile.gif The guy simply wanted a measurement.

Cairo94507
The Porsche emblem is small and classy. I also like the idea of having a hood crest for a place to push the trunk shut and not have to push on the hood itself. My car does not have a crest at present, but likely will when I am done with it.

Paul- Your car is just beautiful. I still want to come to Sac and see it in person one day.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 10 2012, 12:56 PM) *

From looking at the pictures the red car looks best with the silver/gold car looking good as well. The badge placement on the orange car just looks wrong in my opinion.

A lot of folks on this and other 914 related sites ask about "factory placement" or "correct placement" of the hood badge. The usual answer is usually "the factory didn't install them". Well, they did, at least once, and the orange car you think "looks wrong" is proof of that. If you want "factory", this is the way to go. If you want something else, go for it. Your car, your badge, your personal preference.

BTW, I like the hood emblem, it's an understated way to identify the car, as opposed to those godawful tacky oh-so-60s side stripes. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

The Cap'n
Type 47
Wow, a lot of great responses...

it makes sense, since the factory did not put one on that there would be several ways people put them on.

I can appreciate those that say they don't belong b/c the factory didn't put one one...I would expect those folks to not have any aftermarket or 911 parts on their cars though.

IMHO Porsche used a lot of things out of "parts bins" why not do the same thing except go upstream instead of down.

The Pelican article is helpful too, the template is great.

I will take your suggestions and make a copy and play around with it.

I like the concept of fitting it in with design cues such as the lower headlight brows.

Thanks for all the input
carr914
Don't do it like this sad.gif

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I put the crest on my car 3 inches from the edge of the hood.

I don't care if the car didn't come from the factory with a crest. It also didn't come from the factory loaded with rust either but that's what I have now.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2012, 07:08 AM) *

A lot of folks on this and other 914 related sites ask about "factory placement" or "correct placement" of the hood badge. The usual answer is usually "the factory didn't install them". Well, they did, at least once, and the orange car you think "looks wrong" is proof of that. If you want "factory", this is the way to go.

Yeah, but as Tom_T points out, the silver car he posted is also factory ..... Dr. Ferry's 60th birthday present 914-8 I think the story goes. Anyway, it *looks* like that one has the bottom of the crest aligned with the "eyelids":

Click to view attachment
type47fan
I bought my '76 914 in 1983 and the PO had installed a crest. Knowing that the factory only put them on a couple of special built cars, I was curious as to how the location was determined for my car.

It appears that he centered it on the hood between the headlight cut outs. The bottom of the crest is about 7 inches from the edge of the hood.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
Who needs a Porsche vrest when you can do this........
Cairo94507
3" or 3.5" looks the best to me. Anything higher and it starts to bother my eyes. I guess it will depend upon what the underside of the hood looks like in that area when the time comes. BTW Carr914, the person that installed that trunk emblem should be put on a rack for a couple of days. That looks terrible IMHO.
RickS
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 11 2012, 05:52 AM) *

The Porsche emblem is small and classy. I also like the idea of having a hood crest for a place to push the trunk shut and not have to push on the hood itself.

You never want to close the hood of any Porsche by pressing on the emblem. You want to place your hands on either side of the emblem and press it into place. If you do it the way you suggest you will eventually end up with a nice dent.
Cairo94507
OK, I probably should have known that. Thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.