Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I be sure my 2.0 is a 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
I have 2 914's one I have had for about 5 years another that was given to me about 3 years ago. The free one, has a 2.0L at least I think. Heres the dilemma. The heads are 2.0 Porsche, the case is EB which equals 1.7L. If the heads are 2.0L, how can I be sure the longblock is 2.0L? Or does it have to be 2.0 just by virtue of the heads? I mean I know the bores and stroke are different for a 1.7 and 2.0. I just want to be sure you can't do some bastard job of sticking 94 pistons on a 66 crank.

I want to try this motor in my other car with dellortos. That car is 1.7 FI that is just a little tired.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 3 2004, 10:57 PM)
I want to try this motor in my other car with dellortos. That car is 1.7 FI that is just a little tired.

while you have it out, take a head off and measure the dia. of the pistons and the stroke ...

you can measure stroke with the engine in the car (use the spark plug hole) but i'm not sure how to be certain about the bore without taking the head off ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
oh, and welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
One of the more popular combo's was the 1.7/1.8 66mm crank with 96mm p+c's and 2.0 heads. Short stroke...big bore engine that likes to rev.

Welcome clap56.gif

B
jasons
Well if thats what it is, that would be OK. The car I am putting this motor in will be for sale. The car it is coming out of, I plan to build for me. I have a complete 2270 un-built waiting to go.
lapuwali
Also nothing to stop someone from putting 2.0 crank/rods into a 1.7 case, and making an actual 2.0. The case number only means it was a 1.7 when it left the factory.
jasons
Yeah, thats been my assumption all along, the crank and rods are 2.0. The guy that gave me the car said it was 2.0 so chances are it is. However he also told me the heads were NOT Porsche 2.0L and I know they are. So I am just a little skeptical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.