Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat hinge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
One of my drivers side seat hinge is broken. Can the pin be drilled out to get the broken part off? If I was to take off the old one all the way, I would have to weld the new one on. That would mess up the paint, so I need to find a different way to repair the old one.
914ghost
You know the answer.
Grind and weld. And you'll have to get the new hinge from SATAN himself.
Or try Partwerks or AA but it's better deal if you get it from the Prince of Darkness- at least you get what you want.
Order from the other guys and you'll get a bedliner for a 99 Toyota Tacoma and pay 3X the shipping.
-Bob O confused24.gif
red914
QUOTE(914ghost @ Sep 4 2004, 08:41 AM)
You know the answer.
Grind and weld. And you'll have to get the new hinge from SATAN himself.
Or try Partwerks or AA but it's better deal if you get it from the Prince of Darkness- at least you get what you want.
Order from the other guys and you'll get a bedliner for a 99 Toyota Tacoma and pay 3X the shipping.
-Bob O confused24.gif

laugh.gif i actually laughed out loud at this. but then i have never yet (knock on wood) had to order from any of the three mentioned dealers. yet...
seanery
I don't get it.
I obviously know the PW AA reference, but who is Satan?
Brad Roberts
You can order them straight from the manufacturer (Restoration Design)... they are listed in the vendors area.

B
akellym
Let me be a little more clear about the paint. I just spent 30k plus on the cars paint, the under side is perfect. Welding will ruin that area. My plan is to drill out the pin and have the broken part remaid and then repin it. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this.
Brad Roberts
30k is clear enough.

I have NEVER successfully knocked those pins out without destroying the mount. It is too much pressure for the small amount of steel supporting it. It broke because the pin is rusted to the pivot.

Now. I have successfully welded the piece back on.. but I was still left with a pivot that didnt work when I was done. The heat generated during welding did help free it up so I could work it loose.

Good luck. What a pain in the arse.

30K in paint ?? there had to have been some rust repair included in that.

B
akellym
It broke at the first bolt hole not at the hinge. No rust repair except by batt. It was a complete restore! My car is the featured car right now on this site.
Brad Roberts
Correct. They all break at the first hole when the pivot is rusted.

Gotcha. You madeit sound like: "30k in paint"... it was the complete restoration that equalled 30k. We regulary spend 30-35k in 2.0 914's.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.