Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter booster fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
when the body shop put my car back together, they could remember how to wire the starter booster. I can not find the wiring diagram. Does any one have a copy or know how to run the wires?
Brad Roberts
Do you have a Bosch square relay ?

B
akellym
it's the kit from preformance prod.
Brad Roberts
Digital camera ?? Can you shoot pics of what you have ??

I'm betting it is really easy... just need to know exactly what you have. I dont sell/install any of the hot start kits... I fix the real problem.

B
Mark Henry
It's a common problem with the bugs. The Bosch solenoid needs at least 9v to "kick" it, with old wiring that can be a problem. A Ford solenoid only needs about 3v to kick in.
I've used this fix for years and it works flawlessly every time.
(Plus I can install one in about 10min.)
jPs
How bout this:

bosch
rhodyguy
forget the ford seleniod. it too will cease to solve the problem midway on a 600 mile drive at a rest stop in oregon. then the next day, after you push your car to start it, and drive 250 miles without turning it off(so you don't have to ask a stranger to help you push), filling it up with it STILL running, buy a brand spanking NEW starter in california. the hot start issue will fade in your memory and you will start your car with reckless abandon.

kevin
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 5 2004, 10:28 AM)
forget the ford seleniod. it too will cease to solve the problem midway on a 600 mile drive at a rest stop in oregon.

There are two different problems, hot start or low voltage to the solenoid. The ford solenoid does NOT help with hot start, only low voltage. You didn’t say which fix you needed.
BTW, I don't know if low voltage is a common problem with the 914, but it is with the bugs.

As far as a reliability issue I’ve only had the one in my bug since 1991. The only issue I’ve ever had is when I first installed it, I had too much strain on one wire and it broke at the connector. I’ve never even looked at my starter since then…so say 6 to 8000miles/yr, that’s at least around 75,000 trouble free miles.
I also have a good dozen or more in customer’s cars, some since the mid ‘90’s, never had to fix one yet.

But maybe I just have horseshoes up my butt. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
BFH......when ya get tired of banging on it, get a new solenoid....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.