Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 991 Press release in Santa Maria
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentThe far corner of the Santa Maria airport was transformed into a mini Porsche test track and network center for the world press this past November, 2011, for the North America debut of the 991.
An aircraft hangar was morphed into an exquisite mini Porsche museum complete with dining, full bar, press headquarters and huge interactive projection screens.
A road course was set up outside on the tarmac, and each member of the press was spiritedly driven around by a factory driver. The 991 has a very strong launch control.
It was like watching a WEC rally car bumping off of the rev limiter, and then a huge take off. According to the buzz around the track, all of the different 991s there that day had different tunes on the ecu's. They will be brought back to Stuttgart and studied for data acquisition.
The icing on the cake was meeting Walter Rohrl , Porsche test pilot extraordinaire !
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment another pic from 991 press day
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment991 in matte white, actually the white coating on the car was interactive with the projection screen.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentand the meticulous cutaway Porsche 991
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentfor all of the vintage 911 peeps, a 1965 type 901
Cairo94507
Love that '65. Jury out on the 991 until I see it in the flesh, so to speak.
Cap'n Krusty
PCA-CCCR is gonna run the track Porsche set up and then GAVE to the airport. Sometime this spring, I believe.

The Cap'n
euro911
Looks like Jerry Seinfeld's car (the first production 901 to come out of the factory doors) drooley.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2012, 06:05 AM) *

PCA-CCCR is gonna run the track Porsche set up and then GAVE to the airport. Sometime this spring, I believe.

The Cap'n

The tally for repaving , all of the temp hangar upgrades (to the city building codes), staffing, culinary, and equipment was $7m. Santa Maria was the perfect spot , and the airport got some potholes fixed !

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 11 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Looks like Jerry Seinfeld's car (the first production 901 to come out of the factory doors) drooley.gif

Quite possibly so....the 901 had NY plates.
euro911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 11 2012, 07:40 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 11 2012, 06:32 AM) *
Quite possibly so....the 901 had NY plates.
Sounds plausible then, since he does also maintain a stable at the SM airport idea.gif

I just hope mine turns out to be as nice when restored ...
Drums66
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 10 2012, 10:50 PM) *

Click to view attachmentfor all of the vintage 911 peeps, a 1965 type 901

boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif(some beautiful photo's)
rudedude
I drove one yesterday. What an awesome ride! The 7 speed sequential box was so smooth and fast you can't believe it. Had a decent amount of power and cornered extremely well even with michelin snow tires. Don't know what to think of the $116,000 sticker price though.

jule
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.