Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 'crack head'...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Just got these heads in the mail (IrkBay special), "professionally reworked" the PO said (supposedly "Not" cracked...similar to a "No" rust car). The crack hasn't propogated to the outside and I had plans to slap them on my FFC car. My question is, are these still usable in their current condition? Or should I not bother installing them (note: Porsche 914 repair fund for the FFC is currently in the RED, everything around the house seems to be going south at the same time) headbang.gif

I saw a post where Jake described welding them to 12mm, are we talking about the spark plug hole dia.?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Special_K @ Sep 4 2004, 10:16 AM)
I saw a post where Jake described welding them to 12mm, are we talking about the spark plug hole dia.?

yes.
SpecialK
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 4 2004, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE(Special_K @ Sep 4 2004, 10:16 AM)

yes.

Thanks, that's what I thought...any input about the crack?

Here's another thought that just popped into my head (Man....I hate when that happens blink.gif )

Is it feasible to use the cylinder and some medium/fine compound to "lap" the heads by hand to mate the cylinder tops (kind of like lapping the valves)? Or am I wasting time, and making a big mess?
Aaron Cox
Is there a crack from one cyl to the next? kinda looks like it in the photo ohmy.gif
SpecialK
Sorry, try this pic.
Brad Roberts
Did you point this out to the person who sold you these ?? You need to weld that up prior t install. You will end up blowing spark plugs out of the heads... not fun.

B
Cap'n Krusty
I concur. Gotta weld, drill, and retap. Furthermore, I would NEVER lap in a head with a cylinder. You lose all that precision mill work you just did by just dropping a cylinder in the bore and & spinning away. Where's the sense in that? Maybe your eyes, arms, and hands are calibrated better than mine, though. If you didn't do a good job with the mill, you're screwed anyway ................ The Cap'n
SpecialK
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 4 2004, 11:11 AM)
Did you point this out to the person who sold you these ??

Not yet! But you can bet I will!! What is it with Ebay ar15.gif bastards misrepresenting their crap! That was one of the "questions to seller".

Yeah, yeah...I know. That's what I get for buying stuff off of Ebay slap.gif But parts for these cars are as rare as frog hair out here.

Q: no cracks I take it??? W*** L****** answered on: Aug-07-04

A: "As far as I know, neither set have any cracks as they were done by a professional shop."

I wish I knew which shop he took them to, that way I'd sure that I NEVER sent any of my sh*t there!!

And Cap'n you're probably right about the DA "lap the cyl. to the head" idea. I must enjoy creating more work for myself. alfred.gif

LOL....I just realized that the "kick in the butt" emicon is named Alfred lol2.gif

Okay Jake...How far will I have to bend over to get the holes welded and retapped
Joe Bob
How much did ya have to pay?

I still have an orphan head that was rebuilt.....NO CRACKS..... smile.gif
billswim
I concur with Brad on the crack. Don't install it as is, you'll be pulling that head off again in short time. However, we have had good luck with lapping the cyclinders into the heads. Its an old racing trick. The stock head gaskets are crap any ways. By putting a cylinder into the spicket of the head and rotating the cylinder lots with light pressure, you create LOTS of little peaks and valleys to hold the combustion pressure. However you need to do the math on the compression ratio to keep everything running on the stuf that passes for gas these days.
Tom Perso
Lapping the cylinders into the head is highly recommended. If you are doing it enough to make a deck height change, you've lapped too much.

Just enough to mate the surfaces and give something the carbon to bite to to make a seal.

Tom
SpecialK
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 4 2004, 02:28 PM)
How much did ya have to pay?

I still have an orphan head that was rebuilt.....NO CRACKS..... smile.gif

They were around $300 shipped Mike, what did you have in mind?
SpecialK
QUOTE(Tom Perso @ Sep 4 2004, 05:48 PM)
Lapping the cylinders into the head is highly recommended. If you are doing it enough to make a deck height change, you've lapped too much.

Just enough to mate the surfaces and give something the carbon to bite to to make a seal.

Tom

So I should just use some regular valve lapping compound, and let the weight of the cylinder itself create the downward force (head sitting combustion chamber up and level)? I wasn't wanting to change the CR, just get the best sealing surface between the head and cylinder. Would it be a good idea to count the rotations of the cylinder, and keep the number of rotations consistant between combustion chambers? And keep the cylinder (number it or something) with the combustion chamber it lapped?

Thanks for the responses! beer.gif
Joe Bob
I have one...the cht side that is rebuilt. Looking for 350 ish....
SpecialK
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 5 2004, 09:57 AM)
I have one...the cht side that is rebuilt. Looking for 350 ish....

Thanks for the offer Mike! I need to check on what the repair cost is going to be before I go writing any checks. Looks like I need to head to the classifieds and sell some 914 goodies I have laying around to get the "toy fund" back up. Life would be sooo much simpler if people would just be honest about what they're selling. headbang.gif
Joe Bob
I need a MOMO steering wheel..... smile.gif
Engman
Which side do you need? I have a used set with some slightly bent cooling vanes that I can send you. We can figure out whats whats later.

M
SpecialK
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 5 2004, 10:25 AM)
I need a MOMO steering wheel..... smile.gif

Sure! I've got a MOMO that's designed to look exactly like a stock plastic 914 steering wheel. VERY RARE, "NO CRACKS" bs.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.