Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burping and Burbling What Happened?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr74914
Hi gents,

Recently had a Weber carb kit installed in place of my EFI which the parts ofcourse I could not find or afford to replace...

Anyway, was running well for a while. When I thought it was low on oil (should have been wearing my glasses) I added barley a quart. Turned it on and had some white smoke out of the exhaust, burping, burbling, and my idle would not stop rising.

I immediately flushed the oil and am back to the proper level, which cured the white smoke from the exhaust. But I am still getting the very unsettling backfires, heavy burping, and continuous idle rise.

WHAT DO I DO? I did not have the motor running with too much oil for very long and the car was running fine before that. It was sitting for about a month while I was out of town but other than that nothing has changed!
jmill
Water in the gas will cause that same white smoke. Water condenses in the float bowls if it sits for a while. Sounds like your running lean at idle too. RPM will increase and then you'll have a carb pop. I'd blow out the idle jets, clean out the float bowls and see what you got.
underthetire
It doesn't take long with this awesome California gas to go bad either. All the alcohol in it now really draws in moisture. Then it will separate and really be a bitch with carbs. That's one of the main reasons I went megasquirt fi instead of carbs.
Drums66
.....Exactly my sentiments......did you just pass gas? poke.gif
(put in gas?) bye1.gif shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
mr74914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Feb 11 2012, 11:12 AM) *

.....Exactly my sentiments......did you just pass gas? poke.gif
(put in gas?) bye1.gif shades.gif popcorn[1].gif

No, gas has been in the car for about a month. Like I said, was out of town so it was sitting for a bit.. But a month sitting has never been a problem before especially with any of my Bugs or Buses that I've had...?

The 914 is a '74 2.0. I don't know how to adjust the carbs on this thing either! I've never dealt with anything other than single port carbs on my VWs and the EFI ofcourse.

Picture needed?

jmill
When you say Weber carb kit I'm assuming 40 IDF's. A picture would help so we can check out your install, linkage and verify carb sizing. Buy the Weber Tech Manual. CB has it the cheapest I've seen. Read it cover to cover a few times and you'll understand them and be able to tune them.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=4

If it were my car I'd drain the float bowls, blow out the idle jets, drain the bottom of the fuel tank out and check for water. The water will sink to the bottom of the tank. Looking in tank with a flashlight you might even see a water bubble if you have a bunch in there. If so drain it out. Drain out fuel line to carbs until it's pure fuel. Be sure you have a filter before each carb and one under the tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.