Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got Big brakes with a park brake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Here is a little prototype I whipped up. Part was done thursday night and part this morning......

IPB Image

It's a complete bolt on caliper mount that uses 944 turbo calipers and Carerra rotors. If you want to see more pictures, here is the photogallery...

Caliper Mounts

I am going to have 2 sets of them made up by in my friends machine shop. If anyone else is interested, contact me.
echocanyons
Is the ebrake cable run, does this have to be custom made or is it an off the shelf item?

What rotor are you using will it fit over the adapters?

What do the adapters weigh?

Looks like a good idea!
ClayPerrine
The rotors are a 24mm carerra rear rotor for a 911. The cable is not run in the picture, but it will have to be adjusted to it's longest adjustment and run through a guide and hooked to the park brake caliper arm. Or maybe some kind of short guide tube and extension cable. I have not gotten to that yet.

The only drawback I can see is that you have to buy 3 park brake calipers from Wilwood. Yes "3". Wilwood doesn't sell the spacers separately, and they don't make a mechanical caliper that will fit a 24mm rotor. It only fits a 20mm rotor, so you have to get 3 calipers, and take the spacers 2 spacers out of one caliper and put them into the other 2 calipers.

I have not weighed the mounts, but they are made of 3/8 steel plate, so they are not light.

If you want to weld them on, I can make ones that just fit up against the trailing arm.
Brad Roberts
Your on the right track (nice job) but I'm betting the drive flange is going to hit somewhere after you get a wheel bearing installed and the drive flange pulled in. There is not much room for the flat thin steel plate that the factory used when the hub is in place.

B
seanery
once the design is developed, do you think it'll be possible in a lighter version? That looks like A TON of weight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.