Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic window slider thingie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
There was a recent thread about window glass not staying in the mechanism that raises and lowers it. I was having a problem with this as well and found that the cause was the rear nylon slider in the regulator. It was completely worn out so that the ball would pop out of the socket and cause the part that grips the bottom of the window to go crooked and the glass to fall out. Anyway, after searching for terms like slider, nylon, window regulator etc. I was unable to locate a source for this part. Does anyone sell them new or is it NLA? Could I get one from a VW or Audi at a junkyard? Sorry I don't have any pics, I didn't take any while the door was apart and I'm not going to take the door apart again until I find the replacement part.
Ctrout
This is awesome! I consider myself a newbie and look, I've stumped 41 of the old seasoned 914 pros on this forum. Unbelieveable! icon_bump.gif
mercdev
Can you tell which part from this? Thought it might help when describing what you're looking for. Was pretty hard for me to picture it based on your description. <_<
Ctrout
It is not listed in that picture but it is the plastic piece that slides into the "guide rail" (#3).
Cap'n Krusty
It's rubber, not plastic. An experienced glass shop can set the glass in urethane and you're done with it. The Cap'n
JWest
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 5 2004, 04:56 PM)
It's rubber, not plastic. An experienced glass shop can set the glass in urethane and you're done with it. The Cap'n

Not the glass retaining strip, he's talking about the nylon slider that is part of the regulator and travels horizontally in the rail as the window raises and lowers.

I do not believe that is available separate from the regulator, I think you need to get used parts. I don't think it will be found on other makes, just hit up the classifieds for a used regulator and make sure they check that part is good for you.
SpecialK
Are we talking about the white nylon wheel that runs in the track below the window?
SpecialK
Well, not very white in this pic. But it's white, nylon and has a ball socket holding it on. If someone had a lathe I think they'd be pretty simple to make. smash.gif
mercdev
Try this?
Ctrout
James and SpecialK are correct on the part ID. I'd have to smoke a whole lotta crack before I'd spend $75 (or more) for the whole regulator just to get the nylon slider though. Anyone got a spare laying around? The slider, not the regulator.
SpecialK
Probably thousands just laying around out there. The hard part is finding one that's not already worn out. I'm going to get a piece of nylon rod stock and play around with trying to make a set. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.