Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Octane ratings for 914 fueling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
Earlier I started a thread on gas. What kind should I put in my tank?

Everyone basically said, 87 is what you need. I just got my 914 and I was out and bought some gas today. And I dutifully chose 87.

While I was pumping my gas, though, I looked down and there I saw a decal, in german, which read to the effect of "minimum 91 octane".

So what gives? Which is better? 87 or 91?

Thanks,

david
TimT
the octane rating you see at the pump is an average of two octane ratings

I believe R and M over 2= research octane over motor octane...

Im to lazy now to look it all up again..

Unless you have a high compression engine.. there is no need for the higher octane.
Elliot_Cannon
Try 87. If the engine don't like it, go to 91. Simple.

Cheers, Elliot
lapuwali
The German label specifies 91 ROZ (aka RON, or Research Octane Number, one way to measure octane). The US system is to average RON and MON (Motor Octane Number) to get pump octane. MON is typically 8-12 numbers lower than RON (varies based on exact fuel chemsitry), so RON is always higher than US pump octane. 91 RON is roughly equivalent to US 86 octane, so using 87 by the US measure is fine. European "premium" is typically 98 RON, or about 92 by the US measure.

btw, early 1.7s required higher than 91 RON even stock, and I have to run my '71 1.7 on premium or it pings. They had higher compression than the later engines. I think the 1.8 had the lowest compression, and the lowest octane requirement.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davidcalvin @ Sep 4 2004, 03:58 PM)
While I was pumping my gas, though, I looked down and there I saw a decal, in german, which read to the effect of "minimum 91 octane".

agree.gif lapuwali is right.

european specifications are different and don't translate into US octane ratings ...
wink.gif Andy
ChrisReale
Ok. One last time.

I have 8:1 compression ratio. What USA octane do I need? None of this Ron, MOn shit. Say it and say it loud... monkeydance.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Sep 5 2004, 08:05 PM)
Ok. One last time.
I have 8:1 compression ratio. What USA octane do I need? None of this Ron, MOn shit. Say it and say it loud...

start with 89 and listen to your engine. if it "knocks", go to 91, if not, call it a day and be happy with it ...

altough, 8:1 is kind of unusual. are you sure about that?
biggrin.gif Andy
ChrisReale
Euro pistons are 8:1, right? Nothing seems unusual about that
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Sep 6 2004, 12:00 AM)
Euro pistons are 8:1, right? Nothing seems unusual about that

oops, you're right, 8.0:1 for a 2.0L, 8.2:1 for a 1.7L and 8.6:1 for a 1.8L ...

my bad,
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.