Trekkor
Don't even start with this.

We need you at Alameda!

Seriously, what did you find...besides the wall headbang.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
drink away! beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Do any of you recall when I was a BIG ASSHOLE ?? Do you ever wonder why I was an asshole ??

It is times like these that bring out "Sir Asshole" when a VW mechanic tries and tries to build a T4 engine..

The reason Andy's tranny was leaking: the piece of f-ing shit who assembled this WRECK couldnt even figure out that the PILOT bearing goes IN the F-ING FLYWHEEL. They installed it in the crank... the input shaft of the tranny stood NO chance of surviving with NO support. WE should have caught this prior to the original install... BUT the clutch was brand new and appeared that way. I never even LOOKED into the clutch disc splined area to see that they F-D it up.

Zois.. please please.. dont sell another F-ing thing related to a 914 that you dont personally BUILD. Your SB guy's SUCK to high heaven. You may think your getting this "smoking" deal when all you are getting is FUCKED. Then you pass it on to the rest 914 world to deal with. I know damn well I dont get everything 100%... but I NEVER let shit like this role out the door.. headbang.gif

B
redshift
Sorry Andy, like that helps a damn bit.... but you know I can surely empathize with haywire shit.

Just to be clear...

Empathize means "I feel you"

Haywire means "Feuken Krappen"

You know what shit means. <_<

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 5 2004, 12:58 AM)
Do any of you recall when I was a BIG ASSHOLE ?? Do you ever wonder why I was an asshole ??

It is times like these that bring out "Sir Asshole" when a VW mechanic tries and tries to build a T4 engine..

The reason Andy's tranny was leaking: the piece of f-ing shit who assembled this WRECK couldnt even figure out that the PILOT bearing goes IN the F-ING FLYWHEEL. They installed it in the crank... the input shaft of the tranny stood NO chance of surviving with NO support. WE should have caught this prior to the original install... BUT the clutch was brand new and appeared that way. I never even LOOKED into the clutch disc splined area to see that they F-D it up.

Zois.. please please.. dont sell another F-ing thing related to a 914 that you dont personally BUILD. Your SB guy's SUCK to high heaven. You may think your getting this "smoking" deal when all you are getting is FUCKED. Then you pass it on to the rest 914 world to deal with. I know damn well I dont get everything 100%... but I NEVER let shit like this role out the door.. headbang.gif

B

mad.gif headbang.gif barf.gif
Joe Bob
Can you write up a detailed fuck up list and I will personally deliver it to him.
anthony
Geez, what a nighmare. I'm so glad that Zois didn't accept my low ball offer on that engine (when it still had the hole in the piston).
Brad Roberts
Mikey will do Andy correct. Mikey is a standup guy. I fully understand you cant/shouldnt have to watch over your "wrench" like a hawk... but this flat out SCARES me. I never thought a engine could ruin a tranny... a recent 2500$ rebuilt tranny at that.

I'm STUPID for not pulling the clutch off this thing and checking prior to install. I should be SHOT also....

They also reused the locking plate 3-4 times.... 1.50 part. NO felt washer..2.00$ part. There is a reason why VW/Porsche installed these parts on the cars when they where new..

Andy and I will write it up Mike. I know this isnt your fault. Just watch your back... or get me 10k sq ft of shop space and we will crank it UP. LOL

B
sgomes
I appologize for the brief hijack.. Brad - what does that little felt washer do?
anthony
I didn't mean to suggest that this is Mike's fault. I know Mike's a good guy.
DNHunt
kevin here, so this is like a $7000 engine tranny combo? sorry for you andy.
Allan
Man I am really sorry to here what happened. I know my condolences of not much help but I humbly offer them anyway. icon8.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 5 2004, 08:15 AM)
I didn't mean to suggest that this is Mike's fault. I know Mike's a good guy.

Well, ya should have taken the engine as parts......as to the rebuilder....well he's gonna get a piece of my mind. I sold the engine to Andy with every intention of standing behind it.....I even sold it to him on payments.

Time to go talk to him/the rebuilder about the "warranty" on his work.

BTW...can the fuck up list be written on HPH paperwork? Would lend a little more punch as opposed to "Joe Bob's Shadetree Garage and Barbershop"....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 5 2004, 08:31 AM)
I never thought a engine could ruin a tranny... a recent 2500$ rebuilt tranny at that.

i'm still pissed ... mad.gif

i had put $2500 into this tranny not too long ago. not only is it now fried beyond use (read: more mucho $$$ to fix it) but it also ate the brand new racing clutch (got soaked in oil).

i'm about done with this motor. if i add up the purchase price, repair costs (both material and labour), hours and hours of tuning, the now junk tranny etc., i've spent almost exactly the same amount of $$$ than what brad had quoted me initially to do a full /6 conversion including the 3.2 engine and beefed up tranny.
how's that for a smoking (pun intended) deal on a big four?

icon8.gif Andy
Trekkor
I'd be mad, too. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Will you refresh the top end of the 1.8 and put in a used box for now?

KT
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

I feel your pain. When it doesn't work out, especially in these cars, it's just plain the shits. My racing hobby has been one big sink hole for money. And at times (like now when the writing is on the wall that I'll be sitting out for better part of 9 to 12 months) I sometimes feel like just checking out of the hobby.

But then I have a beerchug.gif, talk to you guys, and I get back on the horse.

Here's hoping you keep plugging away. I wish I had an extra tranny for you but I don't. I do have the stock 993 clutch you can have if you want it, but I don't know if it is usable for you or not. You can have it if you want and sell it or trade it to get one that does. Just say the word and it's yours.

Hang in there.

Bill P.
mightyohm
Andy, I am very sorry to hear the bad news. Is the whole transmission really fried? Surely the sliders, synchros, etc are ok.

Sounds like right now you are wishing you stuck with your 1.8. sad.gif

Is it just me or do more people get screwed over 914s than most other cars???
Jeroen
Man, this sucks...
aircooledboy
Major Bummer Andy.

I truely feel your pain. I am more than 15k into a car I can't drive myself. Seemed like a good idea at the time. headbang.gif

Look at the bright side. At least we can fart in a crowded room and not make a sound. lol2.gif chairfall.gif monkeydance.gif
JeffBowlsby
Hi Andy...sorry for your trevails. I wish I could help in some way. Don't let it get to you too bad, pick up the pieces and move on as soon as you are able.
nebreitling
dooood: i'm toasting one your way, for better luck.
drunk.gif

this whole story really makes me want to puke.
DNHunt
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. It sure seemed like a good fit for you at first. I hope things start to improve soon

Dave
Lizard Bitch
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 4 2004, 11:58 PM)

It is a pity that people that want their cars fixed sucumb to totally incompetent mechanics...we need more guys like you that really know the fine innner workings of such a supreme vehicle!

LB
Aaron Cox
interesting 'handle'... welcome to the club bitch biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 5 2004, 09:32 PM)
interesting 'handle'... welcome to the club bitch biggrin.gif

i gave her a ride in my 914 today. she didn't seem "bitchy" at all.
but then again, i can't hear a word when i'm driving, so i may have missed it.

laugh.gif Andy

PS: Aaron, you need to have your Tach go up to 9140 rmp!
GWN7
So I'm guessing "Lizard" is a friend of yours? and if you took her for a drive, you put a used trans in your car for the time being?

PS you over payed me for the parts.... wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 5 2004, 09:42 PM)
So I'm guessing "Lizard" is a friend of yours? and if you took her for a drive, you put a used trans in your car for the time being?

PS you over payed me for the parts.... wink.gif

yes, got a "loaner" trans in the car right now ...
brad doesn't want my car around, so we had to get it driving again. rolleyes.gif

yes, the Lizard Bitch is a friend of mine.

as for the parts, the "overpay" is supposed to be used towards a few *brewskys* ( beerchug.gif ) ...
one needs to be rewarded for his efforts from time to time!
wink.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2004, 09:39 PM)
PS: Aaron, you need to have your Tach go up to 9140 rmp!

heh, sean made it. use magical admin powers and force him to make it go to 9,140 rpms! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Sep 5 2004, 10:09 PM)
heh, sean made it. use magical admin powers and force him to make it go to 9,140 rpms! smilie_pokal.gif

i can tell sean made it ...

he f***ed up the light on the chrome center cap!
biggrin.gif Andy
seanery
bight my ass German Boy! spank.gif Aaron is young and shouldn't drive that fast biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 6 2004, 07:02 AM)
bight my ass German Boy! spank.gif Aaron is young and shouldn't drive that fast biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm not real fond of teeners sitting around... I threw a good used tranny into Andy's car so he would have something to drive. I'll repair/fix his "rebuilt" tranny. It toasted several bearings.

B
Root_Werks
Ouch is right, you have my simpathy on this one for sure. ohmy.gif

I have heard of techs putting things like cam sprockets on backwards and such, but this sounds like a no-briander F-up. unsure.gif

I hope you get your 914 back on the road soon.
dmenche914
So what was the fall out on the main shaft, what parts were ruined. i ask cause my 914 had a pilot bearing in the wrong place also. No oil leaks, lots of vibration. Pilot bearing is now fixed, vibration gone, but I get a howling noise all the time, however it is related to road speed, NOT engine speed. And it is worse in lef turns,a dn almost silient in right turns. That got me thinking wheel bearings, but they seem to all check out on the wiggle test, and the fronts are new and good.

So would a main chaft or other internal tranny failure cause howling that is dependent on if the car is turning a certain way or not? All i could figure tranny wise is a bad diff. But I can't figure how a vibrating loose driven shaft (as oppoed to the out put shaft) couldf cause Ring and pinion failure?

any ideas, or could this be abad rear wheel bearing that still shows no signs of getting loose?

thanks
9146R
Andy,

REALLY feel bad for you...the money and time sinkhole is huge...I know. It's one thing to blow shit (motors, trannies) up like I did with a missed shift at Thunderhill a few years back...but it's the shits when someone does it to you...good luck. Look fwd to seeing you and your red teener autox again ! beer.gif
Greg
SirAndy
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 8 2006, 09:06 AM)
No oil leaks, lots of vibration. Pilot bearing is now fixed, vibration gone, but I get a howling noise all the time

that's the main bearing(s) spinning in the case ...

when the shaft is unsupported in the front, it "wobbles".
that causes the main bearings to work themselves lose in the case.
they can't go anywhere (back/forth) but they will spin in the case.

that's the noise you get.

it will get worse over time, causing the shaft to wobble under load, even if you now have the pilot bearing in the front ...

cool.gif Andy
dmenche914
Yeah I figured that maybe bearing danage would be the cause, but what really is strange is that the noise goes completely away in a turn one direction, going straight ahead, it is howling, and when turning the other direction it gets loader still.

Would the input shaft bearings act that way when they fail? i would think that the bearing on the shaft, if bad would make howling all the time. Now if it is the output shaft that has bad bearing, well i could see that as an issue cause that would effect the pinion gear, if the bearings on the output shaft are shot. Could it be the vibrtation got both input and output shaft bearings, But them again, it is the spyder gears that start workinmg in a turn, the ring gear should not move in and out with turning. Still confused on this, If it made noise all the time I could understand, it is this getting quiet in turns that is puzzling, guess i out to try NASCAR round and round I go, and no noise (oh shit was that clockwise or counter clockwise turns!)
Dr. Roger
dang!

i know i can't help much on this one but just know that if there's anything i can do to help.... just ask.

best regards,
roger
Eddie914
Andy,

Sorry to hear about the "Oily Mess II". I wish you were closer so I could buy you and LB a couple of Mojitos to ease the pain.

I know what you are feeling about how doing the job right the first time saves big time and big $$$.

I knew the valve guides were seriously worn on my 2.7. I should have replaced them the first winter. I was hoping to get to this winter. It only made it until August then dropped the valve. Then I spent good money on an engine with questionalble history. More good money down the crapper.

Hopefully third time is a charm for me.

Hopefully, you get it right the second time.

Eddie
lapuwali
Wheel bearings can be bad and still pass the wiggle test. I pulled a noisy bearing once that simply had a spot "wiped" on one of the races. Made lots of noise, but wasn't loose, so it didn't wiggle. The noise changed as you turned.

Another source of wheel speed howling is the bearing that supports the output shaft near the pinion. However, that *should* make noise all the time, and not change based on which direction you turn.
dmenche914
Yeah that is what i was thinking kind of. i know i had a bad pilot bearing issue (it was missing) and solved that, vibration greatly reduced, then i got thinking that maybe that vibration (it is aV6 powered car) from lack of pilot bearing cause damage tot eh tranny, but since the howl goes away in one turn, adn gets worse in the opposite turn, that points to wheel bearings. I replaced or re-lubed the fronts, so i know they is good, so that leaves the rears, which do pass the shake test, but the noise is LOUD like my ears hurt from it. i guess i need to bit the bullet and pull the rear bearing (on the side that is the same as the direction I turn to make noise worse) and hope that is it. Rear bearing are apain, and they self destruct on removal. so inspection and refit is not an option.

I almost rather swap a tranny than a wheel bearing, it is less work sometimes. Oh well. So i guess the opinion is that this noise, becuase of its change with a turn is not the tranny, and has to be the wheel bearings? Is that what the opinion is, that nothing wrong in the tranny could cause a noise that is dependent on steering direction?

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.