Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: diggin into hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
michelko
Hi guys,
look what i found under the fender. The PO did some very fine work to repair the hell hole ar15.gif
michelko
another
michelko
The sheet metal was riveted to the longitudinal wacko.gif
Took me the last Weekend to remove all the rustetd crap.
This wekend i cleand up the area an fabricated new piece to close that realy big hole.
michelko
ger
michelko
ger
michelko
ger
michelko
here you can see the new metal. Think next weekend is welding ti welder.gif me
michelko
Some advice to keep the door gap stable?
I made a bar from the safty belt mounting point to the door hinge. hope that helps.
michelko
i will keep you informed.

smilie_flagge6.gif
JoeSharpOld
Reminds me of one of my ex's, so pretty outside so rotten inside. But thats love. wub.gif It's so nice that you can fix her, for I could not. wacko.gif
Please keep updated up on your work cool_shades.gif
Joe
redshift
Oh my god dood, you went waaaaaaaaay too far!

That redish stuff is the color of the metal on a 914!

M
Jeroen
Hey Michael, good job!

The only thing worse than rust are PO repairs.
Where are you getting the replacement sheetmetal?
(or are you gonna fab it all yourself)

Keep us posted of your progress

cheers,

Jeroen
michelko
Hi Jeroen,
got that nice piece of metal on US Ebay. I think it is from Autoatlanta.
The other parts i have to make myself.
That piece in the picture above was not so hard to fabricate and it fits realy good.
Just can´t wait to do the welding welder.gif . The cutting out and cleaning the rusted parts is a little frustrating.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Brad Roberts
WOW !!. That is crazy.

You did a great job with the brace. We normally use a larger/stronger "tube" with adjustable ends similiar to what you made. Put some preload in your adjuster. Make the car spread apart a few mm's more than a stocker. When you weld the car it will shrink when it cools.

HOPEFULLY you will receive your parts from AA in a timely fashion. Next time you order anything from anyone stateside ASK THE CLUB first. The maker of that piece that supplies everyone is a member of this forum.

B
Brad Roberts
You should also look in our Vendors area for the new stiff kit that was recently released. It goes on the inside of the frame rail inside the car under the carpet and wraps all the way around the passenger compartment.

B
michelko
Hi Brad,
received the part with no problems. The transaction was closed in only 2 weeks.
Can´t tell anything bad about them, till now!
I am also looking for the engine shelf, made yesterday an inquiry to restoration design for the shipping fee.

What do you think how much more mm for the spreading?
638mm is the target.

The brace is of solid steel 25*10mm, and it feels very strong. Think it would hold the car together.

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 5 2004, 07:24 AM)

The maker of that piece that supplies everyone is a member of this forum.

B

Really? So we could get AA sheetmetal repair parts, without going through AA? confused24.gif
michelko
Hi guys,
did some welding welder.gif on the inner long.
took the longest time to clean up that rusty mess. welding was done in half an hour. I am realy happy about the progress. I think in an week or so the car can stand on his own feet again.
michelko
Just some grinding and forming the second layer, a little welder.gif an this part is ready. w00t.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
Root_Werks
Very cool! You are doing a great job! smilie_pokal.gif

One of my customers came in for a windshield leak. I spent about 2 hours welding little holes up and cleaning up rust in the lower corners before I could put the windshield back in. I am no body man, I tell people that and they have seen my car. I say this is as good as I can do, they still say looks good to them.

I am with you though, I love to weld. Dam, sometimes I wonder around the garage wondering what I can weld together. laugh.gif welder.gif
buck toenges
Adriatic Blue. Best color for 914 ever. cool.gif
michelko
Yeah man,
ido realy love that colour wub.gif
Brando
I hope that's the finish pic...

Cutting a car that looks that good... would make my stomache churn for hours...
dinomium
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 9 2004, 12:21 PM)

I am with you though, I love to weld. Dam, sometimes I wonder around the garage wondering what I can weld together. laugh.gif welder.gif

You can always come to Bremerton! There is ALWAYS someting to weld in my shop!!
welder.gif
lol
red914
it makes me very afraid to look too closely into the abyss... ohmy.gif
michelko
I hope that's the finish pic...

Cutting a car that looks that good... would make my stomache churn for hours...

No ,no, no, the last pic shows the beauty three years ago. The PO did some nice work to hide all the bad things, that you should not see and pay a large ammount for a "superb" car mad.gif .
There are two choices: repair it or abandon it.

guess what i decided sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif welder.gif beer.gif and again sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
michelko
Hello together,
did some smash.gif and welder.gif . The second layer is in the car.
michelko
ger
michelko
wub.gif
michelko
werqwe
michelko
rolleyes.gif
michelko
and now its the right time to drink some cold beer. beerchug.gif
Next step will be battery stand and engine bay side of the hell hole.

smilie_flagge6.gif
red914
nice work! thanks for the updates; it is great to see someone showing how it is all done!
bryanthompson
smilie_pokal.gif Damn, that's awesome! I'm doing the rear trunk first, but i'll be doing the longs before too long. I'll be posting pics of my progress when i get finished...

Anyway, did you keep patterns or anything of the pieces you are making?
Brando
Very amazing... Makes me scared to look at mine...

One time, 2 years ago when checking out 914s... I checked out a red '70 in Pomona, the guy wanted $2800 OBO. Had dual webers and barely ran. Point being, the chassis was cut up, welded together (from another car). non of the numbers on the chassis matched. I open the compartment and check "the hell hole" and you could see all the way through the bottom passenger's side fender. Or the "ear" right there. Nothing but large gaping hole i could fit my fist through.

Scary.
SpecialK
You didn't buy that car in the US Midwest and ship it to Deutchland did you? Looks awfully familiar! huh.gif

(Supposed to be funny...in a kind of "sad but true" way)

Nice work. smilie_pokal.gif
michelko
The little princess was original delivered to italy an came back to germany in 2001.
Sorry , no patterns. All pieces are unique. I tried to keep as much good metal as posible. You can see this at the curved cutting.
This was my first work with sheetmetal, and it is not so hard.
I think anybody can do it with a little time and patience.

@ brando: if you are not sure, you should definetly look at these point of your car. Every day you wait, the rust gets worser (hope that is the right spelling wink.gif ) and the repair is more difficult.

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(michelko @ Sep 11 2004, 11:22 AM)
This was my first work with sheetmetal,

Impressive! With a little more practice (and it looks like you'll be getting some wink.gif ) you could be a guest fabricator on "Monster Garage" (is that shown over there?)
BatAc
I have to go to HELL 'n' I'm not sure I have the strength you do. Great work, can't wait to see the flip side of this project.
michelko
additional pic from inside of the long. Have to drill a hole for the securitiy belt mounting. The mounting point is in good shape, so i only have to paint it and weld it.
Will keep you informed.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
hi everybody,
did some work on the rustbucket.
Cuted out the Suspension console. No way way to solve the problem with less cutting <_< It was rusted directly to the console, so there was no metal left to weld the new one against.
michelko
Hold the new sheetmetal in place. looks very nice wub.gif the car will be strong again in this area.
michelko
should add the pic wink.gif
michelko
nother one
michelko
inside of the console and the safetybelt mounting point.
Will bring them tomorow to the sandblaster.
michelko
outside

saturday will be weldingtime again welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
bryanthompson
smilie_pokal.gif

You're my hero, man!

pray.gif
Allan
That is really excellent. beer.gif I have my fingers crossed hoping I'm not going to see the same thing this weekend when I delve into mine.
michelko
headrage,
wish you the best, but.... no illusions, that cars are over 30 year old and there is no additional coating of wax or something in the longs or somewhere. Expect the worst, and be positive surprised of the condition.

best wishes

smilie_flagge6.gif
SpecialK
You da man michelko!! smilie_pokal.gif I get chills thinking just thinking about pulling off my outer rocker panels, hope I don't find what you did (but probably will)!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.