Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gradually running rougher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
So, My carbed, cammed, malloried 2056 has been steller for about 6k miles. Then on a run up to Santa Rosa it started feeling less "crisp" on acceleration, and is popping out the tailpipe when cruising along. Not loud bangs, kinda softly doing it. Getting also a bit of snorting out the carbs on start up. Going to crawl under today and check for exhaust leaks (SS exchangers).

What else should I check?

Valves?
Timing?
Ignition circuit?

Also, as an engine wears in and you start putting some miles on it, can it change in such a way that would require re-evaluating your jetting?
jmill
Valves
Timing
Sync/tune carbs
Check for exhaust leaks

Did you not check/adjust any of those in the first 6k miles of a fresh rebuild?
jeffdon
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 12 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Valves
Timing
Sync/tune carbs
Check for exhaust leaks

Did you not check/adjust any of those in the first 6k miles of a fresh rebuild?

Been into the valves three times at regular intevals. Timing a couple, its been solid. Carbs have been synched and I have felt pretty dialed in on the jetting. Leaks, I think I have been good, at least I have not seen or felt any when under the car. That being said, I suppose something could have been knocked out of whack at some point. The car rides rough on poor roads, and thats a lot of jarring about.
jmill
What type of linkage do you have? I gave up on the cheap ones due to movement. At a minimum you want the hex bar with cast arms and carb plates for the ends.

On a side note, carbs are putzy. I played with them at every oil change.
jeffdon
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 12 2012, 09:15 AM) *

What type of linkage do you have? I gave up on the cheap ones due to movement. At a minimum you want the hex bar with cast arms and carb plates for the ends.

On a side note, carbs are putzy. I played with them at every oil change.

Its a home brew bell crank my dad fabbed up around '85. Its actually been dependable over the years, and on a couple different engines.

This is the closest i have now for a pic, but I think it gives the general idea (NOT attached to the carbs in this pic)

Click to view attachment
914.SBC
Mine did exactly what you are describing (keep in mind I have a v8) but it turned out to be an exhuast leak.
jeffdon
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 12 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Mine did exactly what you are describing (keep in mind I have a v8) but it turned out to be an exhuast leak.

Interesting that a V8 would behave the same way.
mrholland2
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Feb 12 2012, 09:34 AM) *

Not sure this is even germane, but a coworker of mine had this happen in a late 70's/early 80's Cadillac. Turned out it was because of low oil pressure not pumping up the lifters. Is your 2.0 hydraulic lifters? Low oil pressure? Unlikely, but every idea might lead to another. idea.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 12 2012, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Feb 12 2012, 09:34 AM) *

Not sure this is even germane, but a coworker of mine had this happen in a late 70's/early 80's Cadillac. Turned out it was because of low oil pressure not pumping up the lifters. Is your 2.0 hydraulic lifters? Low oil pressure? Unlikely, but every idea might lead to another. idea.gif

Mechanical, and my OP is right where it should be.
TheCabinetmaker
gradual deterioration of power would point me towards a dirty carb, decreasing fuel pressure (maybe due to a dirty filter), weakening spark, or worse, losing compression. did you do a compression check when fresh? If so, do another one and compare.
jeffdon
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 12 2012, 10:06 AM) *

gradual deterioration of power would point me towards a dirty carb, decreasing fuel pressure (maybe due to a dirty filter), weakening spark, or worse, losing compression. did you do a compression check when fresh? If so, do another one and compare.

You know, I was having hot start problems (cranking, no firing) and found that moving my coil (bosch blue) to the firewall solved it. Perhaps its breaking down.

As a complete aside, yesteday morning, I had a belt squeeling, and found I had lost the Alt. adjuster bolt. No gen light warning. I fixed that, and was hoping that maybe i was running rough due to voltage dropping gradually. After running for half an hour, it made no difference.
TheCabinetmaker
Ha! that would definitely cause a weak spark
jeffdon
Turned in the idle mixture screws, and it seems to have its old crispness back.

Plugs at idle look like this....what say all yee ole plug reading pros?

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Electrode is kinda hard to see, but doesn't look rich. Is that oil on the threads?
struckn
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 12 2012, 10:29 AM) *

Ha! that would definitely cause a weak spark

Look for arcing from the plug wires and the connection from Coil to Dizzy and plugs also. If you have electronic ignition (i.e. pertronix) Gap your plugs .040 - .050.
jeffdon
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 12 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Electrode is kinda hard to see, but doesn't look rich. Is that oil on the threads?

No its not oil. Electrode color is reddish brown to whitish red.
jmill
I'd be happy with that plug. Looks to be #9.
Porschef
[/quote]
Look for arcing from the plug wires and the connection from Coil to Dizzy and plugs also. If you have electronic ignition (i.e. pertronix) Gap your plugs .040 - .050.
[/quote]

I swapped out to Pertronix, but didn't read any mention of changing the gap. Is this your experience to find it to run better with the .040-.050 setting?

Thanks
jeffdon
[quote name='Porschef' date='Feb 12 2012, 11:02 AM' post='1623529']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I swapped out to Pertronix, but didn't read any mention of changing the gap. Is this your experience to find it to run better with the .040-.050 setting?

Thanks
[/quote]
agree.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 12 2012, 11:01 AM) *

I'd be happy with that plug. Looks to be #9.

Kind of a cross between 9 amd 14, which makes me happy
jeffdon
Seem to have most of the sluggishness tuned out just by fiddling with the idle mixture. Also discovered how hard it is to tune my carbs with No. 1 and 2 plug wire3s reversed. headbang.gif

Still need to crawl under and look for leaks, and do a valve adjust, but i think I will save that for next weekend.
mrbubblehead
plugged idle jet?
euro911
Are we supposed to change out our Bosch 'blue' coil when we upgrade to a Pertronix trigger system?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 12 2012, 06:45 PM) *

Are we supposed to change out our Bosch 'blue' coil when we upgrade to a Pertronix trigger system?

no its not necessary. i am running the petronix flame thrower. just because i didnt have a coil at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.