Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hurricane update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Sorry for posting updates so frequently, but every little task I complete is usually the first time I've done it, from the clutch to the starter.

Anyway, got the accusump plumbed in with the -10 line. I found the bigger line and fittings actually go together easier than the smaller -6 stuff.

Also got the CV's greased and torqued down. Then took a shot at safety wiring. I think it looks OK but let me know if I messed up.

Everybody else is going stir crazy around here being couped up but I'm thrilled to have the time to wrench.

dr
Allan
Need to wrap that safety wire under the top bolt. You need to keep tension on it. IMHO. the way it looks in the pic it will keep it from backing out but won't keep it tight. I used to do this in the military and when working for McDonnell/Douglas. smile.gif
spare time toys
You kind of want the wire to make a backwards "S" where it is alwats pulling in the tighten direction. 22 Years of doing this on transport aircraft. Nice twisting job though. How many times did you stab yourself with this stuff? lol2.gif
airsix
Like this. Notice how tension on the wire pulls on each bolt clockwise.

-Ben M.
Allan
agree.gif What he said.
machina
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Sep 5 2004, 01:50 PM)
How many times did you stab yourself with this stuff?

I did almost put the wire thru my eyeball though. Put some glasses on after that. Its hard doing this squatting under the car also.

I read all the articles and have all the smith books but its hard for me to figure out which way to go when the holes in the bolt heads are not exactly line up right. In all the diagrams they are in the perfect position but of course on the car, its a different story.

I'll try it a few more times, got nothing else to do today.

dr
machina
better?

Is there a trick for figuring how much wire to let out before twisting with the pliers? I keep coming up short or long.

Thanks for the help.

dr
spare time toys
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 5 2004, 02:28 PM)

Is there a trick for figuring how much wire to let out before twisting with the pliers?

Looks good clap56.gif Only trick is lotsa practice. I still mess up Im glad the Co. provides the wire for us. laugh.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Sep 5 2004, 12:28 PM)
better?

Is there a trick for figuring how much wire to let out before twisting with the pliers? I keep coming up short or long.

Thanks for the help.

dr

Measure actual distance and start twistiing with the pliers there. That will come just short of what you need. Twist the rest of it by hand. My hands got so cold once at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota that I had safery wired my hand to the airplane and didn't even feel it. (But that's another old boring war story).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.