Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lower cylinder sheet metal question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
In reassemblying my '73 2.0 I realized after I had it almost together I forgot to put in lower sheet metal that goes under the cylinders and push rod tubes. headbang.gif
In order to put them in I'll have to loosen the heads to get the tubes out etc etc etc.

Got to thinking- how necessary are they? This car will spend its life in AZ with no heaters or exchangers and no cold weather. With the fan blowing air from the top will it run cooler or warmer without these in place?

What would happen if I didn't put these back in ??
JFJ914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 12 2012, 04:04 PM) *

In reassemblying my '73 2.0 I realized after I had it almost together I forgot to put in lower sheet metal that goes under the cylinders and push rod tubes. headbang.gif
In order to put them in I'll have to loosen the heads to get the tubes out etc etc etc.

Got to thinking- how necessary are they? This car will spend its life in AZ with no heaters or exchangers and no cold weather. With the fan blowing air from the top will it run cooler or warmer without these in place?

What would happen if I didn't put these back in ??

You will warp the cylinders due to uneven cooling. They would not have been there if they weren't needed. Do it now for cheap or do it later for a lot!
McMark
You don't need to loosen the heads. Pull the rockers/puchrods and pop the pushrods tubes out. Install the tin and reassemble the tubes/pushrods/rockers. Not a big deal.

Gotta have it. VW/Porsche didn't produce parts just to drive up the cost of the cars. wink.gif
SKL1
Thanks Mark- yeah guess I don't need to loosen heads. Haven't rebuilt an engine since the late 70's so I've forgotten a little...

Oh well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.