Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing new GPR front sway bar...need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, been getting a lot of work done on my 914 these last few days.. I got the tank out now and its rusty inside (now preparing for cleaning and coating)...with the tank out I am going to install my new GPR 19.4mm front sway bar. I have been doing some research on this and found lots of pictures in the wheel well from the outside of how its installed...but I am looking for some pictures from the inside of the front trunk...I bought the optional reinforcement plates that get bolted to the inner trunk. They are the triangular type with the big center hole in the middle for the bar and three other holes for the bolts to go through....

One problem we are having is one of the holes for the bolts to go through can not be drilled through completely and does not come out from the other side....

Does anybody have some pictures, nice close up shots of how it is installed and how it looks please.

Also are other people welding the reinforcement plate as well to the inner trunk wall? That is what I plan to do....I have the U tabs already.

Please share any pictures you may have please, thank you!!

These are the parts I am talking about
IPB Image

This is the bar I have
IPB Image
Cairo94507
Hello Jamie- I know there are pictures on her showing the inside of the trunk view where they have cut away part of the trunk to get that brace in place. I bet people are going to recommend that inside brace be welded to the car instead of being bolted. Then the outside piece bolts on through the chassis. I know pictures will pop up here showing the cut away section for the inside of the trunk. Best wishes.
TheCabinetmaker
Here ya go Jamie.
http://www.914world.com/specs/swaybar_install.php
TheCabinetmaker
Here is a great place to search thru this site. Custom google search.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...2%3Aajvfxschcgc
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 13 2012, 11:20 PM) *

Hi, thank you for that link...I can not believe I did not find that...I spent a good couple of nights doing searches but am having no luck and now it looks like my computer or 914 world has changed its format so we can not see the complete comments or replys on each post which makes it much harder for me to understand as I got used to this set up (for Andy)

In some of those pictures, it looks like there are only 2 out of 3 bolts drilled through and installed, this is the problem I am having too. I want to get all 3 of the bolts drilled through and installed correctly, finally I will weld them if that what is people thinks is best.

Does anybody have a nice clear picture of the inside fender from the front trunk showing the triangular reinforcement plate installed with all bolts?

Looks like the bolts come through the inner wheel side to the inside of the trunk.

Please feel free to add as many pictures as you can, thank you

Jamie (This is my 1000th post) beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
jmill
Look in my sig. I just installed them and included pictures.
bulitt
Jamie- Nice Car, nice project you have been working on for several years!
euro911
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Feb 13 2012, 07:52 AM) *
...I spent a good couple of nights doing searches but am having no luck and now it looks like my computer or 914 world has changed its format so we can not see the complete comments or replys on each post which makes it much harder for me to understand as I got used to this set up (for Andy) ...
Jamie, Click on the 'Options' button (at the top right, just below the 'Add Reply' and 'New Thread' buttons), then scroll down and click on 'Standard'. type.gif
nsr-jamie
Thank you John!! Those are perfect pictures !! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you !! beerchug.gif

This weekend I plan on installing the bar and have the tank out already and its being prepped now for rust removal and a new inner coating.

Do you think its neccesary or better to weld the plates to the inside of the car? I heard others do that for extra strength. My car is mostly a street car but gets driven hard too and after I finish the suspension and get new tires I plan to do some track driving, nothing serious though, just for fun

Thank you again to everyone for your help

Cheers beerchug.gif
euro911
I'd recommend welding the backing plates in. Some folks also go the extra step and install a set of front sway bar reinforcement plates to beef up the area. Helps prevent stress cracks in the inner wheel wells.

Street cars typically won't need them, however, here's a link to Engman's site Link.

If time was on my side, I'd install a set.

Click to view attachment
jmill
Yes, I would weld it. The U bolt kits would rip out. I wouldn't trust just the sandwich for strength. Besides, it would be a PITA to bolt in with the tank in place and the plate moving around. You don't need to get crazy with the weld. An inch or so on each of the three sides is plenty strong enough.

The Engman kit is nice but seems overkill for a street car that sees only occasional events.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 14 2012, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Feb 13 2012, 07:52 AM) *
...I spent a good couple of nights doing searches but am having no luck and now it looks like my computer or 914 world has changed its format so we can not see the complete comments or replys on each post which makes it much harder for me to understand as I got used to this set up (for Andy) ...
Jamie, Click on the 'Options' button (at the top right, just below the 'Add Reply' and 'New Thread' buttons), then scroll down and click on 'Standard'. type.gif

Thank you so much !! That worked perfectly!! Now I can see all the replies again, I guess I must have accidentally clicked that, problem solved and thank you again !!
nsr-jamie
Thanks everybody!! This has really helped me out!! I am going to stick with the triangular brackets, they are actually heavy duty ones from GPR/Tarret and quite good and made of a thick gauge material. I will weld them this Saturday...I would love to have the Engman ones but just don't have the time right now as my car is on the lift at my friends shop and I need to get it out this weekend. Most of the work is done already...the holes will be drilled tomorrow. The tank is already being de-rusted and I cleaned up a bit under where the tank goes....my friend installed the Tangerine Racing Delrin steering coupler and told me he never wants to do that ever again. 930 Turbo tie rods in along with Weltmeister bump steer kit (do I really need this part??) and the front shocks are done too (Koni), next is the Elephant bushings and to fix a small oil leak and re-install the tank and have some fun...

Next I need tires!!

Here is a picture of the rear of the car after installing the Yellow Koni sport shocks, Tarret adjustable perch kit and matching 150 pound springs.

euro911
Cool. I think you'll be fine with the welded-in Tarret nut plates.

It's nice to see posts from others who've already done it, as we'll be doing pretty much the same thing on the 'BB' within the next couple of weeks; 15mm sway bar, Lemforder Turbo tie-rods, ball joints, bum steer bump steer kit and control arm bushings piratenanner.gif

I'm running a little short on time prepping the car for the RT-66 Run, so other upgrades will just have to wait until a later date dry.gif

Keep us posted on your progress popcorn[1].gif
jmill
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Feb 14 2012, 09:07 AM) *

Weltmeister bump steer kit (do I really need this part??)

It depends on how low you go in front. The kits either adjust the rack or the tie rod end. I prefer the tie rod end with adjustment shims. Read up on bump steer. Lots of info out there on the net.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.