Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'PORSCHE' letter removal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Trying to do a little "cosmetic" work to the '74. I decided it would be pretty easy to repaint the engine grille. Well, those little rubber/metal retainers are a big PITA, and I'm kind of worried that I'll end up busting the posts off of the letters if I use too much force.

Any suggestions?

Kevin
SpecialK
Oh, and who carries replacements (retainers) for the one's I've already destroyed rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Special_K @ Sep 5 2004, 10:41 PM)
Oh, and who carries replacements (retainers) for the one's I've already destroyed rolleyes.gif

they twist off ...

i used a pair of pointy plyers, sometimes the help of a flat blade screwdriver comes in handy ...

replacements are sold by the usual parts outlets ...

wink.gif Andy
VegasRacer
When I took mine off I decided it was better to destroy the little clips on purpose than risk breaking the post. I just pinched the sides with a pair of plyers to release the grip and enlarge the hole and they came off easily.

All the usual places sell replacement.
Pelican parts # K-591-423-03.
IPB Image
seanery
just don't break the posts! ohmy.gif
IronHillRestorations
I cut them off, and use new ones.

I don't even bother trying to save the emblem fasteners. The letters are worth way more than the .45 emblem fasteners (which are available new from Porsche). I have been able to save them on occasion, but it's more trouble than it's worth, expecially if you break one of the mounting pins off the letter.

The ones in the photo are generics, the Porsche ones are smaller and totally encapsulated in black plastic/rubber/urethane whatever it is. Then you don't have the cheesy GM/Ford Detroit looking fasteners showing.

Of course it's your car, do as you want, that's the beauty!

PK
SpecialK
Oh yeah, it's definitely scrap and replace operation on the retainers. I just cut them off like a few people recommended, and ordered a new set from PP. Might be a little trickier getting the little side grilles off, but what isn't inside the engine compartment. wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions and part #'s beer.gif

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.